GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,304
0 members and 1,304 guests
No Members online

Old 06-19-2007, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Retro Recruitment

It seems that there is interest so here goes:

I decided to stay at home for school. While I wasn't happy with it, at that point in my life it was the best choice for me. I knew nothing about Greek life, nor did I care much because I was going to school with a bunch of people that I knew from HS, including one of my best friends (at that point).

This school has 3 NPC chapters and 3 locals. I'm going to call them:

Coke
Sprite
Sunkist
Dr. Pepper
Cream
Root Beer

Silence was from Freshman Orientation until Pref night (about 3-4 weeks into school depending on the Jewish holidays) and locals didn't take part in anything with the nationals including silence.

While browsing the school's website over the summer, I found the website for Sprite and after looking at it, I signed the guest book and left them a way to contact me. One of the sisters, let's call her Jessica, e-mailed me and we started to talk through IMs and we talked all summer long. When school started she invited me to Sprite recruitment (they called it rush) events, and they constantly conflicted with other things going on in my life and I was unable to make them.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 06-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

yea for buttonz!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Jessica IMed me one night telling me that the next day was the last day to meet the girls for the semester, and she really wanted me to come.

I had no classes, but agreed, somewhat hesitantly, to meet her at school to go. So I met her and we walked to SUBO (the Student Union Building) were Sprite reserved a room. There were already about 20 people in the small room, looking back I'd say about 8-9 PNMs and the rest were sisters. Some of them (the majority of them I think) already met the sisters and had attended previous events). After telling us a little about Sprite, a bag of Skittles was passed around and we each took some. Then we went around the table and for every Skittle we had in our hand we had to tell them something about ourself. This lead to more talking and conversations on things that we said. There was one sophomore (if memory serves me correctly) and the rest of us were freshman.

Then we were able to ask them any questions we had about Sprite and they showed us some photo albums.

At the end of the two hours, we were told that we would be getting a call by the end of the next night to let us know if we received a bid or not.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 06-19-2007, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to efcheerBB
Fun times!!

GO GREEN GO WHITE
Old 06-19-2007, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Buttonz - is your fall rush informal, as in it runs like COB?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Buttonz - is your fall rush informal, as in it runs like COB?
The locals only do COB type rush, while the NPC's do formal in the fall and COB in the spring.

I guess it's safe to say that Sprite is a local, and not a national.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 06-19-2007, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonz View Post
The locals only do COB type rush, while the NPC's do formal in the fall and COB in the spring.

I guess it's safe to say that Sprite is a local, and not a national.
A-ha. Okay, now that makes sense. I was a bit confused too. Oh, and we know you didn't go Sprite or that would have been the end of your story.

Anxious to hear more!

Old 06-19-2007, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

The next night I got a call from Jessica, letting me know that I have received a bid and if I wanted to take it, I should go ahead and be at Eva's house Saturday night.

I went to Eva's dressed nicely and I was ready to meet my future sisters. There were seven of us in the room, and they told us they will wait a few more minutes to see if the other two girls they were waiting for were going to show up. No one else showed up, so the seven of us were pinned.

We also found out our bigs that night. My big was Eva (the sister whose house we were at). I was glad, because we had a lot in common.

Within two weeks, one girl depledged. Two weeks later, I was ready to depledged. All of my pledge sisters and my pledge mothers (that is what they were called) begged me not to drop.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 06-19-2007, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
Oh, and we know you didn't go Sprite or that would have been the end of your story.

Are you sure I didn't go Sprite?

Go read the post above this!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 06-19-2007, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh! I didn't see THAT twist coming!

Very intriguing story, Buttonz!

Old 06-20-2007, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

More more more!

Sorry, it's a very rainy day, work is slow, and the diet coke hasn't kicked in yet. I need something to keep me awake and entertained!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEinZTA View Post
More more more!

Sorry, it's a very rainy day, work is slow, and the diet coke hasn't kicked in yet. I need something to keep me awake and entertained!
I am with you, LOVEinZTA!!!!!! Keep it comin' Buttonz!!!!

PS-My SAI little is a SDT legacy--through her big sister. But, we don't have a chapter here, so she went SAI!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonz View Post

Within two weeks, one girl depledged. Two weeks later, I was ready to depledge. All of my pledge sisters and my pledge mothers (that is what they were called) begged me not to drop.

Wow. Why were girls depledging so quickly?

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

whoa interesting twist!! more more!!

::reads KSUViolets post:: yea..why ARE girls dropping so quickly??
Old 06-20-2007, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

As to why girls were dropping so quickly...it's a little word that we all love to hate....h******. I'm sure you can all figure it out

~~~~~~~

Now back to my story:

After several long talks with both pledge moms, my big, and my pledge sisters, I decided to stay, thinking that it won't be to much longer till we were sisters and things would get better.

Boy, was I wrong. Two weeks later, I was ready to drop again. I was dreading going to anything related to Sprite at all, plus I was told I had my choice of attending my sisters sweet 16 (which I was planning) or going to a Sprite event. If I choose my sisters sweet 16, I would have to drop.

Once again, I was begged to stay by all. This time however, there was no changing my mind.

Less then three weeks later my former pledge sisters were initiated. It hurt to see them wearing letters, esp my former big, who I had class with, when she wore the set that all the bigs got for both themselves and their littles, because I knew I could have had them as well.

At the same time, I was happy, because I realized I could never be fully happy with these girls after everything. I also realized that I still wanted the benefits of sisterhood, but not with Sprite. So I started to do my own research, plus put together what I by then knew and have heard about the other groups on campus.

I knew for a fact that Root Beer was out. I wouldn't even consider them. So this left the following for me to check out:

Coke
Sunkist
Dr. Pepper
Cream

I wouldn't look anywhere until the spring (I wasn't even aware that there were possibly rules that meant I had to wait longer). Everyone did COB in the spring.

I can say that in the first week or two of the Spring Semester my former big told me if I wanted to look at Sprite and pledge again that it might be possible for me to do so

Patriae Multae Spes Una