GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,560
2 members and 2,558 guests
baangelasteaxdy, JayhawkAOII

Old 03-07-2003, 10:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
OK, first off, I like this show so much more than SL. Matt, wish he could've stayed...he was VERY cute. Graham, good riddance ya freak show! Alex, get a backbone kid...you're lucky if you're 21, and you're already whipped like a baby!! The unfortunate part of this show is that it will only perpetuate fraternity stereotypes, but alas, it's fine entertainment....

As for the alum Ron (scary mofo!), he is far too involved in selection. I mean, we may attend recruitment events, but we don't have a say or a vote on who collegiates choose!! Get a life RON....Maybe a job
Old 03-07-2003, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
WHAT??? Don't you have chapter advisors???
you misunderstood me.

that guy isn't there advisor as far as i can tell. and if he IS, he is doing a pretty piss-poor job. an advisor should act more professionally---not that nonsense where he was like "if you ever see me again just walk away cause i never want to see you again in my life." or whatever the words were. that's not an advisor's role.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrincessHeather
The scary Alum dude would have me running the other way if i ever saw him; he'd never have to tell me twice not to talk to him if i see him! (has anyone else checked his eyes when he talks into the camara )
but I understand that he is upset mike lied. (but man the pledges are dropping like flies! I think they all wouldn't of made it anyway Ron and Ron were Lame-o's but I liked Matt)
I know at my school we have a local sorority that at one time wanted to go DG but there prob was their founders had just broken off from a new NPC sorority so they had to wait till they all graduated to show interest according to what I heard. But now I don't think they want to anymore. That might of had something to do with the dude being so mad. oh well...

*Heather
Old 03-08-2003, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Oh, and I don't know if this is bugging anyone else, but the commercials where they say "Frat Life" are like nails on a chalkboard. I guess they'll start advertising "Sore Life" soon. grrrrrrrrrrr
After 14 months in Greek life, I CANNOT stand the word "Frat"! My newest pet peeve is when people say frat instead of fraternity!
Old 03-08-2003, 02:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I hear that, it's like fingernails against the chalkboard.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Yo, that line up stuff...Illegal in Texas. Considered hazing. Also the pushups. Any physical "calesthenics". Also my university bans cleaning of others places of residence. Thats considered hazign too.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalGirl

As soon as they showed "The Rons" getting their bid I was praying they wouldn't take it. "I was on the crapper." "I got him out in time." Thank you Beavis & Butthead for the lovely imagery.

Quote:
Originally posted by prospectiverushee
I like Alex. I hope he doesn't become another Nathan from RW Seattle. Remember the co-dependent girlfriend he had? That was so annoying. Alex, sweetie grow some b*lls and do what makes you happy

Old 03-08-2003, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
Quote:
Originally posted by lifesaver
Yo, that line up stuff...Illegal in Texas. Considered hazing. Also the pushups. Any physical "calesthenics". Also my university bans cleaning of others places of residence. Thats considered hazign too.
I was thinking the same thing. That type of stuff can get a GLO kicked off of campus. There are still some things that go on with fraternities on our campus but it's not video tapped like this all is.

saw the repeats of both shows. they showed season teasers. and alex's gf, lindsey is oooogllllliiiiii. sooooooo not worth all the trouble she is putting him thru... but i guess it's a two way street because he just keeps taking it. GROW UP!
Old 03-09-2003, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by pinkyphimu
lol...i was thinking the same thing. honestly, i hope they graduated in dec and mtv is giving them the tag of "alum." or at least they are grad students at ub. i think they are there to be on tv!!

when ron kicked mike out didn't the people in the background have beer in their hands? maybe i was just seeing things, but i really would not want to be caught in a situation where underage people were drinking.

how long do you think it will be before they get booted for hazing? it sucked that the pledges had to clean the house, but let's face it, it needed to happen! the line ups and the push ups......i guess my question is how is this not hazing?
Actually it's not a rare thing at all on my campus for the alumni to be involved with the fraternity after graduation. Sometimes it's hard to tell who has graduated and who is still undergrad. I think that's so awesome because our alumnae NEVER come around, cept a few during Rush. Actually for one of the fraternities on my campus, the alumni treat the pledges worse than the actives.

As far as the underage drinking, look at Sorority Life 1... Candace was trashed all the time, and they celebrated her 21st bday on the show so you know she wasn't 21 at the time.

For the hazing, I was wondering the same exact thing! Except they don't have a National that is gona come in and give them the boot. I'm sure after the University sees FL, then they'll take action.

Does anyone wonder if MTV pays some students to go through Rush and pledging? I always thought that Jordan was a decoy, and when her and Mara left after they pledged teh whole period, I thought Mara was in on it too. I kinda think that Grant was maybe the decoy this time around.

And that Matt guy.... he looks like an exact twin of the one kid on Dawson's Creek (sorry don't watch it anymore). He was that one chick's gay brother. Seriously... exactlty like him!

KLTC

Last edited by PM_Mama00; 03-09-2003 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
Does anyone wonder if MTV pays some students to go through Rush and pledging? I always thought that Jordan was a decoy, and when her and Mara left after they pledged teh whole period, I thought Mara was in on it too. I kinda think that Grant was maybe the decoy this time around.
According to a Panhellenic Memo, some of the rushees WERE compensated for pledging. That's above and beyond the free room and board, and all the sponsor goodies they got upon moving in.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KuThetaChi
It's funny, and entertaining. I don't think it spreads a bad image of greeks, because number one it's MTV and most intelligent people realize it will be twisted due to that. It is also a local and I'm not sure how long it has been around. Like if the fraternity is 4 years old or if that local chapter is. It won't discourage rushing, but perhaps we may have to weed out people who are at the fraternity for the wrong reasons. If anything I think it will create interest and make us hold ourselves to a higher level. I due wonder what will consitute hazing on this show...since they don't have a national to report to? Oh well I will laugh and enjoy the show for it's entertainment value.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

I watched this show for the first time yesterday...

I sincerely hope the men going through with recruitment next semester do not expect a house that makes them do pushups, etc.. They will be sorely dissappointed (in most cases).

I'm sure enough will have the good sense to realize that MTV's reality TV shows aren't always so real.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-09-2003, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Quote:
Originally posted by Texas-Gal
According to a Panhellenic Memo, some of the rushees WERE compensated for pledging. That's above and beyond the free room and board, and all the sponsor goodies they got upon moving in.
Quoted from the memo:
MTV employees enlisted the prospective members before recruitment and told them that they would receive a "rush wardrobe" and be on national TV if they would go through recruitment and pledge Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:44 PM

I'm not sure that memo wasn't a bit blown out of proportion, since I wouldn't call the clothes from Greek 101 (which is what I would guess they were offering) a "rush wardrobe." Also, umm, they HAD to tell them they would be on national TV - it's called signing a release form.

I'm not defending MTV and I believe Jordan was definitely a plant, but I wouldn't go so far as to say all of the girls rushing SAEPi were. IMO that Panhellenic memo was bitchier than it needed to be.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't believe some of the stuff it looks like this chapter is going to have their pledges doing on camera. Line-ups, push-ups, etc. are considered to be hazing by New York law too. They might not get caught until after it airs, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Sigma Chi Omega joins the lengthy list of "unrecognized" chapters at U Buffalo.