GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,435
0 members and 1,435 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2000, 05:42 PM
FOR REAL

Think about it wrote:

"...or between BGLOs and GDIs (the most blatant form of these unecessary divisions-- that you would call a non "greek" a goddammed individual!)"

Quick note: The "I" in GDI actually stands for independent. Which of course is not to say that Greeks are "dependent."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-13-2000, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Arrow

After re-reading my post, I think I should clarify myself.

I was referring to the type of thing that was posted under "Issues" in the Greek Life forum.

That is, whenever an African-American does anything positive, they are immediately attacked for it, especially by other African-Americans. Like one person posted, she has her degree. (So she's obviously educated). Her family thinks she "talks white". So she takes flak for the fact that she went out there, worked her butt off, and bettered herself.

This type of thing is both something I've observed and something that I've discussed in various instances (from talks with friends (of a variety of races) to classrooms).

I never said that I had it any easier, any worse, or the same as you. I just think that it takes a lot more for a black person in America to better themselves than it does other races right now, and I think that it's got a lot to do with African-American culture as a whole.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 06-13-2000, 07:11 PM
sadeluv

SilverTurtle,
I'm still not clear on what you are trying to say. Are you saying that we as African-Americans tend to hold one another back, as a whole?
Old 06-13-2000, 09:15 PM
Think About it

Why call 75 thou or 150 thou or whatever soror or frat when you can look at an entire people and see your sisters and brothers

I dont expect much posting this right here, but I'm ignorant, okay whatever, yall are on some funny shit because check your answers in other areas. The only time yall seem to agree on something is if an outsider is calling yall out.

Again, yo I mean seriously, I see yall as the lightnbright vs dark color thing, the upwardly mobile colored vs the ghettoized--- just some outdated stuff from back when we were negroes.
"Mandingo", my brother save them letters for your neos. If yall could really help the community lets see some lobbying congress action going on, some buying newspapers and building schools.With the kind of honorary and alumni members going on whys that not happening?

That sigma made a good point but I gots to call it as i see it. Cant be one love when there's a divine nine
Old 06-14-2000, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

THINK ABOUT IT.........I KNOW YOU THINK YOU HAVE A VALID ARGUEMENT BUT PLEASE LOOK AT WHAT YOU ARE SAYING. WE HAVE BEEN DOWN THIS PATH BEFORE! I DO NOT KNOW WHAT PART OF GREEK LIFE YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED BUT IF THINGS WERE AS BAD AS YOU CLAIM I BELEIVE THEY WOULD HAVE CEASE TO EXIST BY NOW. AS WAS SAID BEFORE BGLOS ARE HUMAN AND AS FAR AS BICKERING AND FIGHTING THINGS, LIKE THAT GO ON IN EVERYONES LIFE THAT DOES NOT CEASE TO EXIST ONCE YOU BECOME GREEK. THE BICKERING AND FIGHTING IS A HUGE PROBLEM AMONGST OUR PEOPLE AS A WHOLE!!!!!! (AND PEOPLE PERIOD) NOT JUST GREEKS!!! REALLY THE COMPETITION THING AND ALL THAT MINE IS BETTER THAN YOURS BS HAS BEEN BLOWN WAY OUT OF CONTEXT BECAUSE THINGS BETWEEN THE BGLOS ARE FOR THE MOST PART GREAT. MOSTLY IT JUST ALL IN FUN AND SOME PEOPLE MAKE IT OUT TO BE MORE THAN WHAT IT REALLY IS, WHEN ALL IN ALL IT IS JUST THAT(ALL IN FUN)!! ALL IN ALL THEY BACK EACH OTHER AND THEY ARE BASICALLY WORKING TORWARD THE SAME THINGS (THE UPLIFTMENT OF OUR PEOPLE) AND YOU CAN READ SOME OF WHAT THEY ARE DOING IN THE GREEK ACTIVITES POST OR YOU CAN PAY CLOSER ATTENTION TO THE CHAPTERS THAT ARE NEAR YOU. AS FAR AS HOW THEY VIEW NON-GREEKS THAT MUST BE HOW NON-GREEKS SOMETIMES THINK OF THEMSELVES, OR JUST THINK THEY ARE THINKING THAT, BECAUSE I HAVE ENCOUNTERED PLENTY OF GREEKS WHO HAVE TREATED ME WITH MUCH RESPECT. I MEAN I WOULD ASSUME THAT EVERYONE A GREEK KNOWS AND LOVES IS NOT GREEK SO I DOUBT THEY ARE LOOKING AT NON-GREEKS LIKE YOU SAY. IF YOU HAVE RUN INTO GREEKS WHO HAVE TREATED YOU BADLY MAYBE, JUST MAYBE IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR NON-GREEK STATUS BUT MORE TO DO WTIH THE BAD VIBIN THEY PROBABLY GETTING FROM YOU WHEN THEY COME AROUND(SINCE YO OBVIOUSLY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEM) YOU POSTED THIS AS IF BGLOS EXIST IN ANOTHER WORLD THAN YOURS I MEAN REGARDLESS OF WHAT ORG ONE IS IN OR NOT IN WE ARE ALL FACING THE SAME ISSUES AND HARD TIMES ON ONE LEVEL OR THE OTHER! WHY ARE YOU SLANDERING YOUR PEOPLE YOU SHOULD ASK YOURSELF ARE YOU ANY BETTER THAN THE ONES YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT? MORE THAN GREEK FIGHTS ON A COLLEGE CAMPUS SWEETIE, WE HAVE FIGHTS PERIOD AGAINST BLACK PEOPLE AS WHOLE REGARDLESS OF THEIR STATUS AND THAT MY DEAR IS A MUCH GREATER ISSUE AMONGST US THAN HOW YOU THINK THE GREEKS ARE ACTIING! WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DO AWAY WITH SOMETHING THAT YOUR PEOPLE STARTED ON THEIR OWN! IF YOU DO SEE A GREAT PROBLEM AMONGST THE GREEKS THEN YOU SHOULD HELP TO TRY AND CORRECT IT INSTEAD OF COMING IN HERE TEARING THEM DOWN. IF YOU DO DO SOME REASEARCH YO WILL SEE ALOT OF GREEKS HAVE LOBBIED TO CONGRESS TO CHANGE THIS AND THAT BUT HOW CAN THEY MAKE AN EFEFCTIVE CHANGE WHEN THEIR PEOPLE ARE CONSANATLY AGAINST THEM. AS FAR AS LIGHT-SKINNED AGAINST BLACKS I SUPPOSE IN SOME ASPECTS THIS MAY STILL BE A PROBLEM BUT IN EACH BGLO THERE ARE OUR PEOPLE REPRESENTING IN MANY SHADES SWEETIE, SO MAYBE YOU HAVE NOT LOOKED AT THEM LATELY. YOU ARE NOT PART OF THE SOLUTIOON FOR US YOU ARE BEING A PART OF THE PROBLEM. YOU ARE DIVIDNG US WITH YOUR WORDS AND REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU CLAIM THEY DO DOES IT MAKE SENSE TO COME AT THEM IN SUCH A WAY? WE HAVE BEEN THROUGH ALOT AND WE ARE SITLL BEING AFFECTED BY IT SO THE SOONER WE REALIZE WHAT HAS CAUSED ALL OF OUR DIVISION THE SOONER WE CAN BEGIN AGAIN. ...........................SADELUV AFTER YOU READ A POST SUCH US THIS DO YOU SEE THE LACK OF SELF LOVE POURING OUT? PLEASE LETS STOP HATE AMONGST OURSELVES WE NEED EACH OTHER TO SURVIVE IN THIS WORLD! I AM NOT TRYING TO START ANOTHER BIG WHITE AGAINST BLACK WITH THIS NEXT COMMENT BUT IT MUST BE SAID...........THINK ABOUT IT, AND THOSE OUT THERE LIKE HER OR HIM DON'T YOU KNOW HOW MUCH OTHER RACES LOVE TO READ AND SEE DIVISION AND FIGHTS AMONGST US? DON'T YOU KNOW THAT TO SEE US SLANDER ONE ANOTHER THIS WAY MAKES THEM ALL THE MORE HAPPY BECAUSE THEY KNOW THAT WE WILL ALWAYS REMAIN HELPLESS AND WEAK AS LONG AS WE ARE HATING EACH OTHER. PLEASE PLEASE KNOW THAT WE MUST LEARN TO DIRECT OUR ANGER IN THE RIGHT PLACE AND NOT AT EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!! MUCH LOVE
Old 06-14-2000, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually,

Most organizations DO help not only their local community but help in National endevours as well. Many presidents have been members of greek organizations and have helped (while in office) to further their particular organizations national philanthropies, either outright with their brothers helping or indirectly. I'm not sure about Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton, but both Ronald Regan and George Bush were both members of National Greek Organizations.

Also, there is done more behind the scenes than you actually think. Local Chapters don't do all the work alone. All the dues we pay and hard work we do benifit our local community, but LOTS of the money goes into a big 'dues pot' at national headquarters. Then National Headquarters of each organizations is most likely on its founding campus. There are people there that actually WORK for the sorority/fraternity. It's their job. They spend a lot of their time to further the aims and ideals of the sorority/fraternity. As for building schools and such. It's funny you say that! My sorority DOES that. My sororities national philanthropy is to aid the hearing and seeing impaired. Out of ALL the money we raise together as a whole (as in the whole world--we are a international sorority technically), MOST of it goes toward funding schools, hospitals, and research involving the hearing and seeing impaired. One of our main focus points is Galludett University, in Washington, D.C. It's a college for the hearing and seeing impaired. There's even a chapter of our sorority there. This endevour is not the ONLY one that my sorority does, but it is the main philanthropy that we take part of.

I hope that this helps you understand where most of us are coming from. I won't lie and say that you'll never see us partying or such, but that's just a very very small part of what sororities and fraternities stand for. People DO join just for the letters, but it's unfortunate. The only thing I am trying to say is, there will always be slackers, no matter what you are talking about, and greek organizations have had their share too. No, we aren't perfect. We do have flaws, but that goes for every man, woman, child, organization, business, etc etc in the world! You might come across a chapter of a organization that does do absolutely nothing to further the aims and ideals of their organziations, but a side note of that instance--they aren't the majority, and thier days are numbered. If this is what you witnessed, it's sad because those chapters are only hurting us as a WHOLE greek community. They put off a bad image of what greek life really is. Anyway, I'm not above admitting that there are definate flaws in the greek system, but I do want you to know that MOST of greeks DO try to help out in their local and national community.

------------------
Mikki Gates
Delta Zeta Alum
Kappa Mu Chapter
Sigma Alpha Iota Alum
Eta Tau Chapter

"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special."

--Julia Roberts
(Steel Magnolias)

Visit me at:
http://homepages.go.com/~dzkm433/index.html
and
http://www.calypso.com/dzkm433/welcomtomyworld.chtml
Old 06-14-2000, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Not to toot our own horn, but at our Konclave last year, we built a house with Habitat for Humanity, and dontated it to a local family in Atlanta. My Province (region), is currently building a house for a family in Hampton Roads VA. This is but a small effort when one looks at the fact that the lovely ladies of Crimson & Creeme have built about 70 or 80 houses with Habitat for Humanity.

I believe that the families that now live in these donated houses should be asked how they feel about BGLOs.
Old 06-14-2000, 10:56 AM
Think About It

I appreciate your fire sister ... some good arguments in there too.
Old 06-16-2000, 10:28 PM
Sorority Sis

Think about it: Sorry to say, but you sound like you are venting the vibes of a REJECT!! Don't sweat it. Sorority/fraternity life is not meant for everyone and some think it is meant for them and get slapped in the face, so their revenge is to down greek life.
Old 06-17-2000, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Believe me, BGLOs did/do not create divisions about our people. PEOPLE create divisions among PEOPLE. As an Omega Pearl, I get all the stereotypes that go along with auxillary orgs, but I try to educate those on a deeper level as to the fact that we have a common cause to uplift man/woman kind. I see a lot of division among class. There are proud people and there are conceeded (sp?) people of all races, colors, shapes, sizes, etc. I am a strong, proud black woman and will not tolarate ANY downing of people especially black people in my presence. We are all in this fight together. As members of the NAACP & NCNW also, we lobby, fight, and struggle everyday for equality and justice for all people. To the person, who began this discussion I suggest they do the same.
Old 06-17-2000, 02:33 PM
Sexymocha

In response to "think about it", think about this: Get a life! Either that or seek professionals that can help you with the misplaced anger that you have chosen to direct toward the members of the Black Greek Letter Organizations who, to my knowledge, haven't done a thing to your ass. How can anyone attempt to lessen the great acts of hard work, unselfish dedication, and loyalty these organizations have bestowed upon the black community? These men and women have and continue to march, speak out and fight for us black folk (your angry ass included), and our civil rights. I say THESE MEN AND WOMEN, today, at the drop of a dime, will walk as many miles necessary to raise money for causes from aids to cancer. They have implemented and (in their free time) work in after school programs and provide educational as well as cultural activities for school age children during the crucial hours of 3-6 pm until parents (mostly single) come home from their full time jobs. I am one of those mothers that can attest to this. I speak for many parents when I say many of these sororities/fraternities provide much needed information regarding political and health issues. So, why don't you use the sense the good Lord gave you and YOU think about it.
To all members of BGLO: Keep up the outstanding work. To "Think about It": Two thumbs down.
Old 06-17-2000, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Sexymocha and everyone else who has supported us,

Thank you. Even though we don't do what we do in the community for recognition, it's always good to know that we are appreciated.

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997

[This message has been edited by 12dn94dst (edited June 17, 2000).]
Old 06-18-2000, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

you made mention of greeks being dependent. dependence is the foundation of unity. what are accomplishing for the betterment of our people by yourself? how are you affecting change in you community? you ought to understand the work that is done of a national level before you try to criticize our organizations. many of our national orgs are lifetime financial member of the NAACP. we funnel millions of dollars into our hbcu's via UNCF. as well as getting it done in our local communities, acting as mentors for young boys and girls. so, again, i ask what are you doing other than creating more division?
Old 06-18-2000, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Arrow

sadeluv.. you posted:
Quote:
SilverTurtle,
I'm still not clear on what you are trying to say. Are you saying that we as African-Americans tend to hold one another back, as a whole?
Generally, yes. (And I emphasize 'generally', because I obviously cannot nor would not speak for every African-American in the U.S.) And most of it is just talk (putting someone down because they've done ...(fill in the blank), but that can wear on a person after they've heard it for a few years.

I hope I can live to see the day when little boys and girls don't do or say certain things and not others because "it's a black thing", "it's a white thing", "it's a ...", but that they can just be who they are while being proud of where they come from.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Closed Thread