GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,422
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, indisigma00
» Online Users: 2,764
3 members and 2,761 guests
indisigma00
Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2000, 11:46 AM
Pure_Envy

I don't think that it is possible to run racial topics into the ground. Topics are ran into the ground when they are not important anymore and people keep talking about them. Race is still an important topic. You might not feel that there are racial issues...maybe that is how you see it. But according to my life and the things that I see...I will be discussing it for days to come.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-07-2000, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pure_Envy:
I don't think that it is possible to run racial topics into the ground. Topics are ran into the ground when they are not important anymore and people keep talking about them. Race is still an important topic. You might not feel that there are racial issues...maybe that is how you see it.

Perhaps you misunderstood... there are currently four treds which are covering the topic of race... and all four treds have almost identical replies, and counterreplies...
I dont think anyone meant that the topic is not important, obviously it is; but four treds, going back and forth, back and forth is a little excessive..

Old 06-07-2000, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Exactly what I meant. Racial relations are important. I didn't say that they aren't. I said that this particular topic in this particular message board system is run into the ground. There are actually 5 threads going, and even a sixth if you count the eradicating racism thread. We should at least narrow down the threads. And as I see it, 2 are exactly the same topic, started by the exact same person, with the exact same opening statement. And there are 2 about white women joining black sororities (this thread and "Curious" by Monique). It's a bit redundant. By all means, continue to talk about it, I only meant that there are enough threads out there about the same topic, we should close down a few and limit it a bit. No sense in people reading the same thing over and over again.

[This message has been edited by mgdzkm433 (edited June 07, 2000).]
Old 06-07-2000, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

prettygryl you are alright with me. I know how you feel, b/c I get called racist and all that crap b/c of my views. But honey you keep on being the strong black woman that you are b/c you are a rare breed. I would love to keep in contact with you. SO HOLLA BACK...to let me know that you are still reading these things and we'll exchange information.

username.....honey, I'm sure things have changed over the past 40 years for you and your family....black people are everywhere doing everything that they couldn't do. But for me what you may see as a lot of changes ...i recognize them as being a small stepping stone to getting what my people deserves. We built this country and what do we have to show for it....not much. As a race some of us have lost our minds...killing each other , when we are all that we have left. No one is knocking you or making you the symbol for white people everywhere, so don't take things personal. You keep looking up!!

awatters-.......What's wrong with wanting to be black....EVERYTHING!! I realize that our culture is beautiful and diverse. We are a strong and forgiving people. But to white people i say don't sweat us. White people should not try to be black....be what your ancestory says that you are...Get a life!!

To anyone of mixed heritage....no offense ...go wherever you please

would i call a white delta soror.....yes...sister?...NO. Hey we can laugh and joke and cross the same sands but no matter what i will always be different...she will always be different. That is life.

Like prettygyrl i wonder how long this issue will be a topic. Soon we will say remember when there was a pure black race.....
Old 06-08-2000, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I HAVE A QUESTION: What makes a Strong Black woman? Is it her views on race?
Old 06-08-2000, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Well said

Quote:
Originally posted by PositivelyAKA:
are you saying that if a university or sorority is 95% white with 5% minorities it is not a "white university" but if its 95% black with 5% whites its a "black university"
Is there a double standard? Yes "white universities and sororities exist. I prefer the term Predominately White and Predominately Black which is more accurate believe it or not not everyone at HBC's are black.
Old 06-08-2000, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, It's not that easy in BGLO's
There is a MIP to go by

Quote:
Originally posted by awatters:
What is this? If you have such a problem with white women joining black sororities, you are perfectly welcome to deny them bids. Maybe they just want to be black. Is that such a problem?
Old 06-08-2000, 11:52 PM
The other side

Why do you refer to white people as "they"? It is very degrading, the same as if a white person were to call black people "they" or "those people" - I understand you feel strongly about your views, but don't lump all people who belong to a particular race together! There are white people who are good, and white people who are bad...there are black people who are good, and black people who are bad...there are Latin people who are good, and Latin people who are bad...get my drift???

[I know that some of them will keep saying that everything should be equal bs, but they are the ones who made everything unequal and THEY are the ones who are keeping it that way! They are and have always been unaccepting of us in their families, and orgs, hell they half ass do not even want us to work side by side with them! Then they want to front and whine when we are unaccepting to them in our families and org. Thats there superiority mindset, they feel like who the hell are we to be saying NO WHITES ALLOWED! Its in their nature although some will never admit it. They feel like we should be "honored" to have them in our familie and orgs.

You are promoting your own ignorance by calling yourself a member of an "inferior race" - I have never, NEVER used this term for any person REGARDLESS of race, color, ethnicity, creed, religion, sexual orientation, etc...so why are you?

I mean after all we are the inferior race so shouldn't a Black person feel special that a white person want to be with them, or join there orgs?

Love the language - it really makes you sound educated about your cause...by the way - "DAM" refers to a structure built to contain a body of water (i.e., the Hoover Dam) if you are using it as a curse word, it should be spelled "DAMN."

Fuck NO! They can not handle our rejection period! I do not give a dam what they can handle or what they expect us to feel like!

Who is this "they" again - perhaps you're refering to my brother...I don't even tell people that he is my "foster" or "adopted" or "whatever"....he is my brother and I am his sister...I was in court to testify that he would be loved in our family - and he is! Our blood runs the same color and our love for each other as family cannot be tainted by the color of our skin. Of course maybe you would prefer that he stay in his "family" - you know the one with his "Strong black woman" mother who didn't care about him (or the other 4 kids that she knows about) - just where her next line of coke was coming from. You mean that family? Just wanted to be sure because I would much rather him be with someone who loves him and cherishes him for the human being that he is! Not for the race that he "belongs" to.

They have been saying for years that they do not want us in their families and orgs.,

Maybe these people aren't brainwashed and conditioned, but rather taught by their families to stop the hate and break the cycle! They have been taught that the only way to educate is through love...not hate (or whatever pretty little sugar coated words you want to use)

Also I know that there are many many of my people that are so brainwashed and conditioned or who obviously do not REALLY know what is going on and what has been going on between us and them ever since we were brought here.

My best friend would be ashamed to call herself one of "your people" because she is what I consider to be a true strong black woman - she is considerate and loving, and when she comes across someone who is ignorant (regardless of race/color/ethnicity/etc.) she is the one who comes out on top by educating them through love - not hate! And she certainly isn't inferior in anyone's eyes.

Unforunately Shalom, alot of our people do look at themselves as inferior and do not even realize it.

Then why can't white people have their own things such as the "White Miss America" or "Essence - for the strong White woman" or even one of the 14 college scholarships that I couldn't even apply for because I wasn't an African American. What about the student loans that are breaking my bank because someone decided that the color of my skin should stop me from having a scholarship even though my grades were excellent (always 3.7+)? Are you talking about me wanting these things for my own??? Look both ways on a two way road!

Once again I think one of the biggest things is to understand that it is not "racist" to want some of your things for you own and just for your own!

I'm rather glad you aren't posting any more. I'd rather hear from educated men and women who can express their views without venom dripping out of every word. I wish you luck out there - its a mighty cold world when you try to go it alone! We all need each other! Remember - Educate...don't Hate!

Old 06-09-2000, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Oh I am here Shalom, but I have cooled in most of these forums. Like DC and MGDZKM433 said it is CERTAINTLY not that I do not feel it is an important issue it is just that it HAS become redundant because we continue to disagree or agree in the same type of forums. MOstly the same people. I feel I have made my point, I mean we can go back and forth all day long! I expect for people who choose to not look to what is reality as opposed to what, I believe, as fantasy to say what they think are all the "right" things to say. I say what IS the TRUTH not what may be right or wrong to say. When I expsress my views I am speaking from the heart because things of this nature are so important to me. I do not say them just to offend white people but if I do hell, those are the breaks! I know some of them can not accept the truth about what has happened and what is happening. I know that some of them will keep saying that everything should be equal bs, but they are the ones who made everything unequal and THEY are the ones who are keeping it that way! They are and have always been unaccepting of us in their families, and orgs, hell they half ass do not even want us to work side by side with them! Then they want to front and whine when we are unaccepting to them in our families and org. Thats there superiority mindset, they feel like who the hell are we to be saying NO WHITES ALLOWED! Its in their nature although some will never admit it. They feel like we should be "honored" to have them in our familie and orgs. I mean after all we are the inferior race so shouldn't a Black person feel special that a white person want to be with them, or join there orgs? Doesn,t that make us feel like we are somebody! Fuck NO! They can not handle our rejection period! I do not give a dam what they can handle or what they expect us to feel like! They feel like we look down on them (as they do us) when we say we do not want them in this or that! So of course they feel as if,the White race can not be looked down on! I do not give dam how they feel. I am not even sorry if you think that is harsh. They have been saying for years that they do not want us in their families and orgs., but when they say its "oh you know how white people are." When we say it they can not deal! What I have been trying to get them to understand is that I feel the same way about Blacks in white families and BLacks in certain orgs of theirs!(It has to go both ways) So this is not a "hating white people" ordeal, This is simply not believing in mixing our families and certain organizations that we all belong to! If they want to make it out to be that I am racist then THOSE ARE THE BREAKS. Also I know that there are many many of my people that are so brainwashed and conditioned or who obviously do not REALLY know what is going on and what has been going on between us and them ever since we were brought here. I know that coming on here going back and forth with faceless people is really doing us none the good! I wish I could get with every Black person in the world face to face so I can share a few things with them. Unforunately Shalom, alot of our people do look at themselves as inferior and do not even realize it. Alot of them actually do feel like what they are doing must be worth mereit if you know white people want to be a part of it to. Some of my people do feel better about themselves when they THINK they have won some acceptance from them. I know for most cases it is not their fault they really do not know any better. I will continue to pray that one day we will come together and see that we are stronger as one. Once again I think one of the biggest things is to understand that it is not "racist" to want some of your things for you own and just for your own! If white people or Black people feel guilty when they have feelings about keeping their families pure or some of their PERSONAL orgs.PURE then maybe they have osme kind of complex about their race. Because you should never be afraid to have more love for youe family than you do a stranger! although I know greek org are Public Servce ORG.s Bglos were started to help uplift THERE people so I believe that Public was actually meaning more so that they were Serving those that were outside of the greek org. I really do not think that most Greek orgs(white and Black) meant that to mean that anyone in the "PUBLIC" can join if that was the case then why do they have membership intake? Everyone is not CHOSEN so in that sense they are private. I mean People always use that Public SERVice as part of their resoning for thinking that BGLOS should no problem in accepting white peoplein their orgs., if that is what Public Service ORG. is supposed to mean then all Greeks should allow anyone to join no matter the age or G.P.A. Right. That is not how it is done though now is it so therefore, greek orgs are PUBLIC SERVICE ORGANIZATIONS, but in all actuality there is a form of private membership!.............DAM LET ME STOP SEE HOW I GET OF ON A RANT SHALOM ABOUT THIS STUFF. I WAS ACTUALLY JUST GOING TO TELL YOU I WAS AROUND AND LEAVE MY ADDY. ...............................................SHA LOM MY E-MAIL IS asiablake@hotmail.com I'M OUT
Old 06-09-2000, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I will post just for you OTHERSIDE... First of all I did not refer to my race as the inferior race. If you have so much education then I suppose you could read and understand shit! I was saying that in a mocking sense because that is and how some white people do and have felt. SECONDLY YOU ARE DEFINITELY WRONG ABOUT THE LAST COMMENT YOU MADE CAUSE I DO NOT NEED YOU FOR A DAMN THING SO DO NOT FLATTER YOURSELF!(NOW DOES IT MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER THAT I ADDED THE N, YOU PROBABLY JUST ASSUMED I WAS USING "EBONICS" THOUGH RIGHT) JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE "RAISING ISIAH" AND YOU CLAIM TO LOVE HIM AS YOUR OWN BROTHER DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING TO ME. I CAN NOT REALLY SPEAK ON HIS MOTHER CAUSE I DO NOT REALLY KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO HER BUT, JUST BECAUSE HIS MOTHER MAY NOT HAVE PROVIDED A GOOD HOME FOR HIM STILL DOES NOT MEAN THAT A "WHITE" FAMILY IS THE BEST THING EITHER. I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT HIM BUT I WOULD RATHER BE ON THE STREETS WITH MY MOTHER THAN LIVE IN A HOUSE WITH A WHITE FAMILY WHO CALLS ME DAUGHTER! HE PROBABLY WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF! INSTEAD OF LIVING HIS LIFE LIKE SOME FAKE ASS DIFFERENT STROKES RERUN! GIVE ME A BREAK YOU JUST ANOTHER "SIGH" IN MY LIFE!Does my cursing bother you? if so THOSE ARE THE F***ING BREAKS!.........NO I AM NOT ALONE ACTUALLY, I HAVE MY PEOPLE WITH ME EVERY STEP OF THE WAY! I REALLY DO NOT GIVE A DAM(DROPPED THE N THIS TIME JUST FOR YOU) WHO YOU WOULD RATHER SEE POST HERE BECAUSE THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM SO IF YOU DO NOT LIKE WHO IS POSTING THEN YOU SHOULD CHOOSE NOT TO READ THEM!..........*SIGHING* PEOPLE JUST DON'T GET IT! * LAUGHING* No she did not say we NEED each other! I will laugh about that for days! I can not quite think what I may EVER need her for? OH AND BY THE WAY I DO KNOW WHAT A DAM IS IT IS A SORT FO BARRIER TO KEEP SOMETHING IN ITS PLACE ITS SORT OF LIKE THE BARRIERS MY PEOPLE HAVE STRUGGLED TO BREAKDOWN THAT YOUR PEOPLE PUT UP TO KEEP US "IN OUR PLACE" RIGHT! RIGHT............I'm sorry Shalom dag I am gone for real now. I just had to let her know about that INFERIOR ordeal and of course I went on and on............PRETTYGYRL LOVES THE LOVE!
Old 06-09-2000, 07:24 PM
The other side

Thumbs down

I'll remember that when I continue my research on several new prescription medicines to allieviate a myriad of ailments (including depression). Or do you not go to white doctors? Have you researched every medicine you take (including aspirin, multi-vitamins, etc.) to make sure that no white hands have handled them? I'll also remember that when I continue my research on African-American participation in everything from health care reform to recreational pursuits! Or will you not believe what a white researcher publishes? Its not that I don't believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, but don't call me a racist and then turn around and say you aren't one. You need to look up the word in the dictionary and figure it out for yourself!

"No she did not say we NEED each other! I will laugh about that for days! I can not quite think what I may EVER need her for?"
Old 06-09-2000, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

*YAWNING*
Old 06-10-2000, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

If you belive in religion, you know that god knows only one race, the human race. Three religion dictate that we all came from two peoples, Adam and Eve. So every one of you are related to me through Adam and Eve. If you decide to talk like that about the white race, then you are also doom to talk about yourself if you belive in Chritians, Islam, or Judaism.
Old 06-11-2000, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

PositivelyAKA-
Yes, I agree with the term "predominently". I think that is a good way of describing certain schools. I simply meant that we shouldn't describe a school as being "white" because it has a majority of white students. schools such as Howard were founded for "black" students and therefore can be described as such. There are no schools CREATED for white students, so I don't believe we should refer to them as such. For example, (and please correct me if i'm wrong about this example), a school such as Virginia Union University has a majority of black students but I don't think it should be described as "black" simply because of the student make-up.

Sorry, explaining this is kinda hard. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. Thanks for letting me clear it up!
Old 06-11-2000, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Prettygyrl said "JUST BECAUSE HIS MOTHER MAY NOT HAVE PROVIDED A GOOD HOME FOR HIM STILL DOES NOT MEAN THAT A "WHITE" FAMILY IS THE BEST THING EITHER. I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT HIM BUT I WOULD RATHER BE ON THE STREETS WITH MY MOTHER THAN LIVE IN A HOUSE WITH A WHITE FAMILY WHO CALLS ME DAUGHTER! HE PROBABLY WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF!"

You know, you really have some nerve to comment so negatively on someone else's family like that. It shows that you have no respect for other people. Personally I check this forum once every few days. You seem to always write a long reply that bores me to death. Please find something else to do with your life and time. I love reading other people's opinions, but when you have the NERVE to DISRESPECT this woman's family you have gone too far. How DARE you say that her brother is better off on the streets then with a white family that loves him? You never fail to amaze me. Of course a WHITE family is the best for him. THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LOVE HIM!!!!! THEY ARE HIS FAMILY!!!! His "real" mother clearly didn't care enough to raise her son. How would that situation be better for him because the mother is black? Come on, give me a break!

Have the opinions you want, BUT DON'T OUTRIGHT DISRESPECT.
Closed Thread