GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,159
2 members and 1,157 guests
Cookiez17, Phrozen Sands

Old 09-06-2011, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Penn State has record turn-out for recruitment

Recruitment kicks off tonight, and The Daily Collegian reports that this year will see the largest number of girls ever starting recruitment. Unfortunately, neither the Collegian or Panhel reports what that number is.

I feel bad for the girls, because it is due to pour all week. (Although the freshmen will need to get used to it, since all it rains A LOT in State College, it would still be nice to be able to go to the parties not looking like a drowned rat.)

Even though seeing this number of girls at one meeting would be intimidating, I hope they realize that, with 19 sororities to choose from, if they keep an open mind, there truly IS a home for everyone.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

My life will not be complete unless someone in this group is cut by every chapter.

This I command.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Yuck. State College is supposed to get DRENCHED this week (thanks a lot, Lee). Even so, I'll be in town this weekend and am excited to see recruitment in action.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Senusret I - with 19 sororities, no one will be cut by every group. Lots and lots of girls will, however, be cut from every group they like.

Kappamd - Just spent Sunday with a PSU friend who was a Kappa in the 80s. Were you a Delta Alpha?
Old 09-06-2011, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTamer View Post
Senusret I - with 19 sororities, no one will be cut by every group. Lots and lots of girls will, however, be cut from every group they like.
Are you a betting woman? I got ten dollars toward your favorite philanthropy that SOMEBODY will go bidless after maximizing their options! Somebody's gremlin lookin', non-legacy, foul breath-having, ill-tempered daughter is gonna be sad, sad, sad on bid day!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

We Are...

You know I love this post! Thanks LionTamer for sharing!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Are you a betting woman? I got ten dollars toward your favorite philanthropy that SOMEBODY will go bidless after maximizing their options! Somebody's gremlin lookin', non-legacy, foul breath-having, ill-tempered daughter is gonna be sad, sad, sad on bid day!
LOL. You are so crazy.

Is this how NPHC peeps pass their time during NPC recruitment season? lol.

*starts collecting bets for Ole Miss*

lol.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

This ain't Ole Miss, Rashid, my friend. This is Uggs-wearing, Paterno-lovin', baseball-cap sportin', "my parents' summer home is in Wildwood" PSU.

This is the Northeast, where legacies don't predominate, you don't go to a studio to get a photo taken, sororities don't memorize the PNM's faces before rush, most sororities do not require recs, and nobody knows from Lilly.

I am indeed a betting woman, but there's no way of determining if anyone who cut NO sororities was also cut from every sorority, so there would be no way for me to prove you were wrong so you could deliver not $10, but my payoff of preference: tickets to the opening game of the World Series, which will be held in Philadelphia (now there's something we actually could bet on)

Seriously, though: The problem is that everyone (dream girls and gremlins alike) drops the same "bottom tier" sororities after the first rounds - exactly the groups who might have provided them a happy home in Happy Valley. So there probably are women who "maximize their chances" in the most formal sense of the phrase, but they still screw up their own chances early on by dropping the groups most likely to want them.

Last edited by LionTamer; 09-06-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Seriously, though: The problem is that everyone (dream girls and gremlins alike) drops the same "bottom tier" sororities after the first rounds - exactly the groups who might have provided them a happy home in Happy Valley. So there probably are women who "maximize their chances" in the most formal sense of the phrase, but they still screw up their own chances early on by dropping the groups most likely to want them.
Is PSU not using RFM?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Kappamd - Just spent Sunday with a PSU friend who was a Kappa in the 80s. Were you a Delta Alpha?
No....my fiance is a PhD candidate at Penn State. I've spent so much time in State College over the past few years that it's sort of become my second home.

Just in town for the Bama festivities this weekend
Old 09-06-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Is PSU not using RFM?
I am pretty sure they do.

That's probs why all the women drop out, as the RFM = heavy cuts early by the groups that have to make the most cuts.

I find that those groups that PNMs find most desirable (and are so "omg I HAVE to get invited back there or I'm quitting" about) have to cut the MOST women out of all the chapters.

PNMs get dropped by those "heavy cut maker" groups and refuse to consider other groups. Hence, the large number of dropouts.

I don't think it would hurt for PNMs to get just a LITTLE education on how RFM works just so that they don't unrealistically expect Top Group Who Makes Big Cuts to invite them back, or are at least braced for the cuts.

Then again, it probs wouldn't help because even if you TOLD a PNM about that, they would likely assume that they were going to be in that percentage of PNMs that Top Group DOESN'T cut and ignore you (like "yeah ok, XYZ probably has to cut heavy because they're the biggest but I'm awesome enough for an invite so this doesn't apply to me")

I find that many PNMs, even if they KNEW that certain groups cut heavy, would assume that they were going to be the exception to the heavy cuts because they were more awesome than everyone else. They overestimate their own awesomeness, if that makes sense.

Wow, that was a ramble and super off topic.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-06-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

It's raining? All week?

God bless the girls with naturally curly hair.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Checked this in my free minute b/w class & going to the parties.... have heard it is over 1000 pnms!

And it is pouring. Campus is a giant puddle.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Um. I love you.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:55 PM

I'm sure that there have been some people who, umm, stood out so spectacularly (and not in a good way) that they were cut by every chapter.