GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,479
0 members and 2,479 guests
No Members online

Old 08-27-2010, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I remember having a convo one time with a woman who was upset that she felt pressured to get a cell phone for her 12 year old daughter because she is outside so much with her friends.

Heh
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-27-2010, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellfish View Post
I went into a music store yesterday, and as I was browsing, a twentysomething who worked there asked if I needed help. I explained that I was looking for a Bauhaus CD, so he asked, "Like the school of architecture?"
Hey, I'm impressed that a twentysomthing working in a CD story (they still have those?) knew what the Bauhaus school was. And you could have answered "Exactly like that. They named themselved after the Bauhaus school of architecture."
Old 08-27-2010, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

HA! You're all babes in the woods, I tell you...mere pups.

I started college when we had Hair Dryers that looked like a cone shaped communications device from outer space, and we listened to The Lovin Spoonful, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Smokey Robinson, Otis Redding, and Junior Walker and the All Stars on our "hi-fi" in the sorority house.

By the time I graduated we were rockin' it to the Doors and Jimi Hendrix.
I had a serious collection of hip hugging bell bottoms. And hair in a long center part flip.

I can remember the entire opening song from the Mickey Mouse Club. ( I usually just hum that until I can remember my children's names. That's so I don't have to say "Who are you people and why are you here?")

Seriously, I can still remember the phone numbers at the DG House at FSU. And the street address. I can't remember MY address, but I remember 143 North Copeland. And the moment I opened up my envelope on Bid Day.
And it still brings a smile to my face!
Old 08-27-2010, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

-The transition from the old folks saying "Boyfriend? What do you need a boyfriend for? Focus on your studies," to asking "So when are you going to get married?"

-Went through the calendar with my students on September 11th and realized that they hadn't been born yet on 9-11-01.

-The fact that my students don't know its special to have a Black president- it's the first presidency they remember.

-Having to explain to the kids why I draw TVs with "two little sticks on top" (antennae).

-My profession in general.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laylo View Post
-The transition from the old folks saying "Boyfriend? What do you need a boyfriend for? Focus on your studies," to asking "So when are you going to get married?"

-Went through the calendar with my students on September 11th and realized that they hadn't been born yet on 9-11-01.

-The fact that my students don't know its special to have a Black president- it's the first presidency they remember.

-Having to explain to the kids why I draw TVs with "two little sticks on top" (antennae).

-My profession in general.

Did you tell them about black and white TVs?

what about these:

and before the iPod was your house party equipment, there was this:

Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 08-27-2010, 02:51 PM

Kids I used to babysit are graduating from HS now.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^^
I would kill for that turntable!

I was at Urban Outfitters last month and the place seems so juvenile to me now. I used to love that place when I was in HS and college..... now I can't see myself buying anything there other than record frames.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this is literally the exact opposite purpose of this thread, but I'll post it here anyway. I'm subbing today and couldn't find the woman to give me my sub folder. Someone else was kind of helping me and called me "that girl" when talking to someone else. Ughhhh! I know I'm only 23, but have a little respect! I've also subbed at this school many times, so I know what I'm doing.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

For me, it was looking at the Bid Day Photo thread and realizing that my son is the same age as the girls in the photos!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post

I started college when we had Hair Dryers that looked like a cone shaped communications device from outer space, and we listened to The Lovin Spoonful, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Smokey Robinson, Otis Redding, and Junior Walker and the All Stars on our "hi-fi" in the sorority house.

I had a serious collection of hip hugging bell bottoms. And hair in a long center part flip.

I can remember the entire opening song from the Mickey Mouse Club. ( I usually just hum that until I can remember my children's names. That's so I don't have to say "Who are you people and why are you here?")
Um, what she said.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

*makes you all feel old*
Old 08-28-2010, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
*makes you all feel old*

Old 08-28-2010, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

In Galveston, my sons saw an English red telephone booth on The Strand. "Harry Potter!" they squealed as they opened the door and confronted - a pay phone. A pay phone with a cord. "What is THAT?" they asked, and I had to explain that there was a time when all phones had cords, no one had cell phones, and it was very important to have a quarter with you at all times. Sigh.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post

Seriously, I can still remember the phone numbers at the DG House at FSU. And the street address. I can't remember MY address, but I remember 143 North Copeland. And the moment I opened up my envelope on Bid Day.
And it still brings a smile to my face!
LOL! My twin friend/sister, YOU rock!!

Old 08-28-2010, 10:43 PM

Ohhhh my. Reading this thread has made me feel old!

- The PNMs posting recruitment threads today were born in the year I pledged, give or take a year.
- I went through rush. I was a rushee. Later, I was a pledge. A few years later, I was a rho chi.
- I haven't been carded in years. Not getting carded used to be a good thing.
- When I was a small child, we had a TV with two dials - VHF and UHF. No cable and no remote. My dad used to sit on the floor and "flip" through the seven available VHF channels (2,4,5,7,9,11,13).
- I've actually used a record player.
- Y2K was a legitimate concern. One of my assignments at my first job out of college was addressing Y2K issues. This is why I can program in COBOL.
- I remember when people dressed up when they flew - and not just business travelers who had just come from, or were going straight to, the office or a client meeting. When we went on vacation, my dad always wore a suit.
- I've used film cameras and developed B&W prints.
- I didn't get a cell phone until I graduated from college. It was a brick. My first cell phone plan included 20 minutes a month.
- My family's first computer (bought when I was in 7th grade) was an IBM PS/2 that ran some flavor of PC-DOS. My first computer of my very own ran Windows for Workgroups 3.11. My first printer was an HP LaserJet 4p - which I still own and use 17 years later. (This was from the old days when HP made solid printers.)
- When I was a kid, Star Trek: TOS's special effects were state of the art for a TV show!

*goes off to look for her walker*