GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,362
1 members and 2,361 guests
No Members online

Old 08-10-2009, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I am at Auburn volunteering (working) during recruitment. I am sure your daughter's Pi Chi gave her this advice but you may want to suggest she bring an umbrella in her bag. She can use it for shade now and for protection for the rain (which is supposed to be coming later today). The girls are allowed to carry bags around with all of their gear and their Pi Chi's watch the bags while they are in each party. I noticed a few girls doing this yesterday.

Whoever mentioned the air-conditioned hallways in the sorority dorms is correct; however, for some reason the Pi Chi's aren't bringing the girls inside while they wait. I don't know the reason for this; maybe Panhellenic won't allow them to. I did hear rumor that shade tents were supposed to be provided by Panhellenic but they were not there yesterday.

Good luck to your daughters... I saw all of the PNM's yesterday and they were so cute! Keep us posted as they days go on. Greek Chat is a good place for nervous Mom's. We've all been there and we can help you through the process!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-10-2009, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I am so excited to see the new facilities! I am going over to help on Thursday morning and then again on Friday for Prefs.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgal View Post
Awkward1, I am hoping you will keep us updated about Auburn Recruitment, at least generally. I am an alum and love to hear the Auburn stories. (I even like the weather forecasts!)
Heck, I'm an Alabama alum and I, too, love to hear the Auburn stories!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to the new class of PNM moms. I was in your shoes last year and I KNOW how anxious you all are this week - best of luck to your girls. I talked to my girl this morning and it is hot an humid as per usual.

The parking area is far away from the village and she forgot her name badge in the car and had to put on an extra shirt to cover her letters and trek back to her car and get her name badge - and hurry before the 1st party! She called me along the way and said she was a hot sweaty mess and was just going to put her hair up, I laughed and said 'bet you don't ever forget your name badge again huh?' She's having a lot of fun this week, so busy but still enjoying it, I enjoyed hearing all about it last night.

And I don't know if its been mentioned elsewhere but I didn't see it in this thread, she said there were 1109 girls rushing, thats down a little bit from last fall but not much.

Best of luck to everyone - War Eagle!
Old 08-10-2009, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

What I love the most about Auburn recruitment is the fact that all of the school's chapters are so strong. There was one chapter that was typically smaller than the others but last year they went all out and made quota! There is very little disparity between the chapters and if you were to ask 10 different people to rank the sororities you would get 10 completely different answers. There just does not seem to be a cut and dried tier system at Auburn and I think that makes rushing that much more exciting! The PNM's can really concentrate on where they feel at home and they don't have to worry so much about being in a top/bottom tier sorority. It can also make ranking at the end of the day very difficult because there are so many good ones to choose from. Each and every sorority has pretty girls, not so pretty girls, thin girls, large girls, athletic girls, academic achievers, musicians etc. You really can't go wrong at Auburn, you really can't.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
AuburnMom08, I was just reading through your old posts, and I remembered seeing you post here last year. I hope you don't mind me asking, but looking through your posts, we never got to hear a conclusion to her story--did she end up going through COB? Did she do colony recruitment with Theta?
Old 08-10-2009, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

She has an umbrella and a battery operated fan to help keep her a little cooler. She had great things to say about all of the chapters she met yesterday and was excited to go back and meet the rest of them today. She is a big fan of GC so I think she will be realistic about tomorrow's cuts.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

lovespink - Yes, she accepted a bid in ?? November or December from one of her original favorites. It wasn't Theta, I wonder how they are doing? I actually forgot all about them but I believe a local girl we know went Theta.

Ice water teas are officially over. Good luck to the PNMs.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Hijack - lovespink - did you go to Univ of Illinois? I was just there Friday for a college visit with my son - he's a high school senior and interested in Engineering. We were very impressed with everythong we saw but - dang - the campus is HUGE!!!!!
PS I was so excited to see the Gamma Phi house there - it is beautiful and right smack dab in the middle of campus it seems!
Old 08-10-2009, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Well looks like we survived ice water teas.....I understand the computers crashed and it took forever for them to finish the computer selections for the girls. I have heard horror stories from a couple of active members that girls have gotten messed up by computer glitches that didn't pair them up like they requested....I really hope that is not true!
Old 08-10-2009, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhiBLtColonel View Post
Hijack - lovespink - did you go to Univ of Illinois? I was just there Friday for a college visit with my son - he's a high school senior and interested in Engineering. We were very impressed with everythong we saw but - dang - the campus is HUGE!!!!!
PS I was so excited to see the Gamma Phi house there - it is beautiful and right smack dab in the middle of campus it seems!
I'm hijacking your hijack! You can't go wrong with U of I. It's a wonderful school with an amazing engineering program (my brother got his MS in engineering there). Tons of my friends went there, and Greek or not, it's a great school! Just don't let him go to Kam's, right lovespink?!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnmom09 View Post
Well looks like we survived ice water teas.....I understand the computers crashed and it took forever for them to finish the computer selections for the girls. I have heard horror stories from a couple of active members that girls have gotten messed up by computer glitches that didn't pair them up like they requested....I really hope that is not true!
It would only be pure speculation that girls were not paired up as they should have been. There is no way for actives to know this, only panhellenic executive board members would be privy to this information and I doubt they would share it and they would do everything possible to correct the mistake before the parties started. It is impossible to know for sure who is doing the cutting, the pnm, the sorority, or the sorority selection board if there is one. Sometimes a girl is well liked by the person who is rushing her but executive decisions are made and she is cut anyways for a wide veriety of reasons that may have nothing to do with her personally. Perhaps the chapter had so many legacies that there was only room for 'X' number of pnm's....who knows?? That is private selection information and I highly doubt that any girls could know for sure that they were paired wrong. I'm sure they are just guessing and assuming. The process does work, not always to everyone's liking but it does work.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awkward1 View Post
It would only be pure speculation that girls were not paired up as they should have been. There is no way for actives to know this, only panhellenic executive board members would be privy to this information and I doubt they would share it and they would do everything possible to correct the mistake before the parties started. It is impossible to know for sure who is doing the cutting, the pnm, the sorority, or the sorority selection board if there is one. Sometimes a girl is well liked by the person who is rushing her but executive decisions are made and she is cut anyways for a wide veriety of reasons that may have nothing to do with her personally. Perhaps the chapter had so many legacies that there was only room for 'X' number of pnm's....who knows?? That is private selection information and I highly doubt that any girls could know for sure that they were paired wrong. I'm sure they are just guessing and assuming. The process does work, not always to everyone's liking but it does work.

THIS.

Alot of times, "computer glitch" stories are recruitment urban legends or rumors.

It's pretty rare to have problems with the software, unless your school has NEVER used it and they're clueless about how it works.

The Auburn peeps are probably pros at using it, so it's not likely that they'll have problems.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhiBLtColonel View Post
I love this house! If you ever get the chance to go inside it is absolutely gorgeous!
Old 08-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

I recommended several this year--can't wait to get the news from first parties!!!