GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,668
2 members and 1,666 guests
Sarak24034

Old 02-02-2007, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Rho Chi gifts

Hey everyone! I went through the new member process this fall so I've never seen a formal recruitment. My school has recruitment counselors or Sigma Rho Chis and I was told I have to give one of the girls a gift when she is unveiled. I was just wondering what is an appropiate gift and what ideas others have done before, it would help a lot! THANK YOU
Old 02-03-2007, 05:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Hmm. This wasn't a tradition at my school, so can't really help you with ideas. Rush counselors at your school actually get gifts from each PNM in her group? It doesn't seem necessary to me (though it's thoughtful of you), and in my two turns as a Rho Chi, I never would've expected gifts from my girls.

ETA: I just re-read your post...do you mean a gift for your chapter sister who's serving as a rush counselor? We usually got gifts from our chapter, like candles or coffee mugs w/a gift card. These were usually passed to the greek life office to give us during rush.

Last edited by PeppyGPhiB; 02-03-2007 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

A note, a decorated candle, a single-stemmed flower/potted plant, or something homemade. Keep it under $5. Try the dollar store and jazz it up with some paint pens. Make her a poster and present her with a candy jar that you have decorated and filled with cookies. Be sure to ask your older chapter sisters what is considered appropriate, though.

Last edited by adpiucf; 02-03-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry...Yes, I mean a gift for a chapter sister who's serving as a rush counselor
Old 02-04-2007, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I always made hand-painted boxes with their name on them and then filled them with candy. It would also be cute to do a theme basket of items that will come in handy when they re-affiliate after Bid Day, like a small package of Kleenex, a little address book for the new members' contact info, a new sorority sticker for their car (since they probably had to take the old one off!). Just keep it simple, cute, and cheap!
Old 02-04-2007, 04:56 PM

That's such a great idea!

They didn't do that at my school. They didn't even do a rho chi revealing; I didn't find out my PX's affiliation until I bumped into her wearing letters a few days after the end of rush.

You probably don't have to do anything too elaborate. Ask your sisters what types of gifts are usually given. Maybe you can include a note that says, "Welcome back, we missed you!" And definitely, something with letters on it.

Sidebar: Do PXs really have to take their sorority stickers off their cars?! When I was a PX, I didn't own a car, nor did any of my fellow PXs, so it was a non-issue. Removing a sticker from a car can't be fun or easy... then again, it would be a dead giveaway.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:00 AM

At my school, each PX usually gets some balloons or flowers from their Big or Little Sis on Bid Night when they finally return to their sorority.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
A fun thing to do would be to have the chapter work together and make entries into a Recruitment Week Journal, then give it to the sister when they come back to the chapter. That way they can read up on what happened in the house during Work Week and Recruitment Week and feel like a part of things.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Sidebar: Do PXs really have to take their sorority stickers off their cars?! When I was a PX, I didn't own a car, nor did any of my fellow PXs, so it was a non-issue. Removing a sticker from a car can't be fun or easy... then again, it would be a dead giveaway.
I have one of the traditional long stickers with the name spelled out, and I've transferred that thing to 2 new cars. They're not hard to get off...although if it had to be off your car for awhile, it might be hard to get back on.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jaade124
I actually have to do the same this recruitment period for one of my sisters. Her little isn't going to be attending bid day so myself and one of my other sisters are running for her. We plan on getting balloons definately. My other sister is painting a wooden "C" (for the rho chi's first name) and I'm decorating/painting a wooden star wand and we'll prob get her one more thing. I really like the idea of getting a little box or something and filling it with candy. We're gonna put all this in a little gift bag and give it to her when we run down the aisle of our auditorium to welcome her back!

Epsilon Kappa Alumni
Aim High, Do or Die!