GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,338
1 members and 2,337 guests
Cookiez17

Old 02-26-2012, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

New Christian Chapter

Hi,

I was thinking about starting a christian sorority chapter at USF. I researched a sorority that is currently at UCF. I like that it's close to Tampa & I could travel there if I ever want to during the process. The website has contact information but before I do any of that, I just thought i'd ask you guys if it's worth it. Is it? I have no idea how much effort it's going to take but i'm willing to put in the work.

I also have the option of transferring to UNF, UF, or UCF. USF has nothing to offer me as far as wanting a close group of girls (or sisters) that I can fellowship with. The sororities are pretty secular and there aren't any options.

Advice?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-26-2012, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy94 View Post
Hi,

I was thinking about starting a christian sorority chapter at USF. I researched a sorority that is currently at UCF. I like that it's close to Tampa & I could travel there if I ever want to during the process. The website has contact information but before I do any of that, I just thought i'd ask you guys if it's worth it. Is it? I have no idea how much effort it's going to take but i'm willing to put in the work.

I also have the option of transferring to UNF, UF, or UCF. USF has nothing to offer me as far as wanting a close group of girls (or sisters) that I can fellowship with. The sororities are pretty secular and there aren't any options.

Advice?
Advice: Do not transfer to join a sorority. You are in college to get an education.

If you want a group solely to focus on religion, join a religious group at your own school. And btw, a lot of the sororities have a bit of religion in their founding and principles. Members take it as seriously as they want and it's often a very personal thing for each person.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

School is about your education first. If you really hate the school, then transfer, but I have trouble believing you can't find girls you have common religious values with, unless you belong to a cult or oddly small religion. And that's presuming your religion trumps all else.

Regarding starting a chapter of a special interest sorority, I'd go to that sorority and also to the director of Greek life at your school. He/she may have a better option for you than starting from scratch. And they may also have strict rules for expansion of special interest sororities, like for instance, they're not interested in adding any.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hi,

I was thinking about starting a christian sorority chapter at USF
Were all of the existing groups too unchristian for you?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-26-2012, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you both! I understand that it would be stupid to transfer just for a sorority. My mother would never allow me to do that. There would have to be more to it. Truth? There's nothing special about my school that's keeping me here but I will stick it out. My education is important to me.

I guess I can always join a regular sorority. I will have many different sisters from different religious backgrounds and that's ok.

Oh & by the way, I'm a nondenominational Christian.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:00 PM

A couple of things:

XYZ Christian sorority at UCF is not going to be the same at USF.

People are always like "Omg I love _________ sorority at Other School!" I want to start it here!" thinking it's going to be the exact same thing." It's not. Different campus and different people." Ex: The chapter of my sorority at another school in OH is totally different from my collegiate chapter. Not bad, but different.

Also, you don't need a sorority for fellowship. There are tons of Christian student groups.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Were all of the existing groups too unchristian for you?
Well. she said . . .
Quote:
. . . as far as wanting a close group of girls (or sisters) that I can fellowship with. The sororities are pretty secular . . . .
Sounds like she'd rather have something where faith is part of the program, so to speak.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

There are a few Christian sororities out there. If you're interested in the group at Tampa, reach out to its HQ.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Because of when they were founded, most of the NPC sororities have religious themes. Some are Christian, some are Jewish. I think for women whose faith is a significant part of their life, their sorority values usually mesh in a very meaningful way.

I'm a Protestant Christian and I found the values of Tri Delta to be incredibly rich. I'm sure many others would say the same thing about their own sororities.

I do think a Christian can find meaningful fellowship in most chapters, but not all. Most chapters are going to have some active Christians. I do think there are probably some chapters where it might be more lonely and you might feel like you don't fit in as well. That is something you would need to figure out during recruitment.

If sorority life interests you, I would definitely go through recruitment. Pray that God will lead you to the right place where you can flourish both as a sister and in your faith. You can find fellowship in a Christian group on campus, but it won't be anything like a sorority experience. You have to decide what is most important to you. A group that is solidly Christian that offers fellowship or a sorority experience where you will find other sisters in the faith to fellowship with.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
You have to decide what is most important to you. A group that is solidly Christian that offers fellowship or a sorority experience where you will find other sisters in the faith to fellowship with.
Not necessarily true (see Alpha Lambda Omega).

I really think this person is looking for a Christian GLO.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I guess I can always join a regular sorority. I will have many different sisters from different religious backgrounds and that's ok.

Oh & by the way, I'm a nondenominational Christian.
I'm glad to hear you'll give it a shot. There are actually only 1 or 2 NPC sororities (someone can jump in with specifics here) that are completely secular. For many of us, we have to swallow the religious part along with the rest of it. As far as the ritual, you will not have any problems whatsoever. Even if you joined one of the traditionally Jewish sororities, I highly doubt their ritual includes chanting "We hate Jesus. We hate Jesus."

As far as the feel or dynamic of the group, that's what rush is for. Don't go in with a chip on your shoulder or an inquisition about their religious stance because it's going to vary from girl to girl. But as you get comfortable at a chapter, you can broach the subject and see where it takes you. Good luck!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Not necessarily true (see Alpha Lambda Omega).

I really think this person is looking for a Christian GLO.
I agree. She doesn't sound remotely interested in a traditional group.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-29-2012, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Regarding specifically trying to create a new, non-NPC sorority at USF, I have some advice. I have a friend who tried to do this (start a non-NPC group, not a Christian one). There was plenty of student interest, and while I don't know all of the specifics, the student life and Greek life people were not interested in allowing any new groups and refused to offer them campus recognition. If you decide you want to start a group from scratch or you want to colonize an existing national Christian sorority, I wish you the best of luck but VERY strongly encourage you to do your research before you put in a lot of effort. Find out if you will even be allowed to start a new GLO, and make sure you do everything through the proper channels and in the right order.

If what you are looking for isn't specifically a GLO, but rather an organization of Christian women with whom to have fellowship, sisterhood, and social activities, perhaps you want to look into one of the existing Christian groups on campus or maybe start your own--not a GLO, just a student club. I know that the girls' division of my own campus Real Life is very active and seems almost like a sorority--and our school has a Christian sorority in addition to that. You may find what you are looking for just by reaching out to Christian groups.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl10 View Post
Regarding specifically trying to create a new, non-NPC sorority at USF, I have some advice. I have a friend who tried to do this (start a non-NPC group, not a Christian one). There was plenty of student interest, and while I don't know all of the specifics, the student life and Greek life people were not interested in allowing any new groups and refused to offer them campus recognition. If you decide you want to start a group from scratch or you want to colonize an existing national Christian sorority, I wish you the best of luck but VERY strongly encourage you to do your research before you put in a lot of effort. Find out if you will even be allowed to start a new GLO, and make sure you do everything through the proper channels and in the right order.

If what you are looking for isn't specifically a GLO, but rather an organization of Christian women with whom to have fellowship, sisterhood, and social activities, perhaps you want to look into one of the existing Christian groups on campus or maybe start your own--not a GLO, just a student club. I know that the girls' division of my own campus Real Life is very active and seems almost like a sorority--and our school has a Christian sorority in addition to that. You may find what you are looking for just by reaching out to Christian groups.
I'm not too familiar with USF, but I do know that many campuses don't group Christian GLOs with the "traditional" ones. They exist as campus organizations, but not under a council.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I'm not too familiar with USF, but I do know that many campuses don't group Christian GLOs with the "traditional" ones. They exist as campus organizations, but not under a council.
Or under a different council.