GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,269
3 members and 1,266 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD, TLLK

Old 04-02-2017, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, Emory has townhouses. But they have meeting rooms large enough to host chapter and recruitment.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
honey, I have some questions if you feel up to answering:

1) are rooms 13, 15, 18, 20 for singles?

2) what's room 12? I don't see a bath. Does it share the bath with 13 & 15?

3) how many live in rooms 1, 3, 5, 6, 8 & 10? Are there four shared baths for all those rooms?

4) there is not enough closet space IMO. And the thought of sharing those bathrooms - gah! But then I'm not 18-21 years old, so my opinion doesn't mean anything. This does look interesting, and a whole lot more appealing than sleeping porches.

thanks for indulging my West Coast lifestyle brain.
Let me start by stating that there was a HUGE remodeling about 10 years ago, with a much better use of space. This is what the suites looked like from 1960-about 2006? Each sorority used the space as they best saw fit beforehand, though.

But to answer your questions:

1. Yes, these were singles. When these were apartments, they were rooms for the maids. All that fit in them was a bed, and a dresser, with the closet in the hallway. Most used that butler pantry between the kitchen to #21 as a Commuter Hallway, filled with sleeping bags, pillows and such for the commuters. (Pitt has a high number of commuters)

2. If you got #12, it was a huge room, but you had to cross through the living room to use the bathroom for #10. The doors were French doors, and one night, we got a little crazy, and decided to see if there was indeed glass under all the paint or wood. It was glass, all right!

3. Each of these rooms were for two people, and there were three people to each bathroom.

4. Actually, if you got a "normal" room (#1, 3, 5, 6, 8 & 10), the closet space was pretty awesome. This apartment closet was THE prized address in the 1930s, and many of these rooms had two closets.

As I said, different sororities used the space differently; I know that Chi Omega used #12 as their Chapter Room, and #21 as a bedroom. Sigma Delta Tau used #8 as the President's Single. Tri Delta had a Dining Room instead of a Chapter Room. Most of the rooms had built in bookcases, mirrors, etc. ADPi has the Penthouse Suite, and the ceilings are 25 feet tall - gorgeous, but making any window treatment VERY expensive!

The side to the left was always called the Formal Side, and to the right was the Informal side. Most of the Formal Living Rooms have a (non-working) fireplace. The remodeling added much needed air conditioning, a handicapped accessible bathroom, and one consolidated kitchen, instead of two tiny kitchenettes.

I would absolutely LOVE to find photos of the inside of Amos Hall, when it was still the prime apartment building of the Schenley Apartments!