GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,585
1 members and 1,584 guests
No Members online

Old 09-07-2012, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

(Current) Member Education

We are a literary society, the Euphemian Literary Society - founded in 1839 before fraternities and now functioning as a fraternity-esque presence on the campus of Erskine College in South Carolina.

At the end of the day, I want my brothers to leave Erskine with a character developed through their time as a Euphemian. The events that we host as an organization are ultimately only the immediate expressions of a character - a set of passions, skills, and personality - that should be exemplified in all of us. Ultimately, I think the physical Society exists to provide the resources and opportunities for the brothers to develop and practice their Euphemian character.

So here's what I want to do this year - create in the brothers a practical understanding of what it means to be a Euphemian and focus on events (be it speakers, retreats, socials, or service projects) which exemplify and develop aspects of our character. It's a kind of (Current) Member Education Program and I have no idea how to proceed.

Do you guys have any suggestions or thoughts? Any resources I can access on the web?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanus View Post
We are a literary society, the Euphemian Literary Society - founded in 1839 before fraternities and now functioning as a fraternity-esque presence on the campus of Erskine College in South Carolina.

At the end of the day, I want my brothers to leave Erskine with a character developed through their time as a Euphemian. The events that we host as an organization are ultimately only the immediate expressions of a character - a set of passions, skills, and personality - that should be exemplified in all of us. Ultimately, I think the physical Society exists to provide the resources and opportunities for the brothers to develop and practice their Euphemian character.

So here's what I want to do this year - create in the brothers a practical understanding of what it means to be a Euphemian and focus on events (be it speakers, retreats, socials, or service projects) which exemplify and develop aspects of our character. It's a kind of (Current) Member Education Program and I have no idea how to proceed.

Do you guys have any suggestions or thoughts? Any resources I can access on the web?
I would look to the NPC sororities for models. Most have chapter development programs of some sort. For example, my group had two guest speakers/month, on everything from self-defense to job hunting.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I would write out what aspects of the brotherhood you wish to exemplify and fill in the blanks from there. Sort of like a lesson plan. Find a brother who is an education major-- he may be able to help with this project!

For example, philanthropy: As a literary society, you could plan a book drive, read to elementary school aged children in an after school program, support other community programs and initiatives designed to boost literacy, etc. You can do other things like a beach clean up,or pair with another organization on one of their service projects. Host a fundraiser and donate the proceeds to a local library.

What about a brotherhood retreat? An all-day event where members learn about the organization's history, expectations for membership, and bonding events like a ropes course or a cookout.

Scholarship. Do a workshop about strong study habits. Require your members to keep up a certain GPA if they don't. Recognize and reward members who are doing well academically with some type of award.

You could also have semesterly or monthly guest speakers who talk about a topic relevant to college men. Develop a committee to come up with the topics and seek out speakers and content. Examples: Resume and interviewing workshop, fitness, recruitment and how to rush prospective members, responsible alcohol management.

Alumni relations: host an annual mixer and invite local alumni to meet and mingle. It's a great way to keep them connected.

Is there a Greek Life advisor on your campus? Talk to them or the Dean of Student Activities-- they will tons of ideas for organization development.

Good luck!