GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,366
2 members and 1,364 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 06-29-2006, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Favorite quote or episode of "Designing Women"

*cue the theme song*

I saw one of my favorite episodes this morning. It's titled,"How Great Thou Art". The one where Charlene questions leaving her church and Julia deals with getting over her stage fright for her solo performance at the Interfaith Conference. The best part was that Bernice didn't have her "little arterial flow problem above the neck". She gave Reverend Nunn a run for his bible by meeting him verse for verse. He was against women being ministers in the church.

"Yo Miss Betts, we got our head stuck in the fence!"-Mary Jo from "The Abbott Bannister".

Last edited by wrigley; 07-11-2006 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll bite. My two favorites:

I'm saying this is the South. And we're proud of our crazy people. We don't hide them up in the attic. We bring 'em right down to the living room and show 'em off. See, Phyllis, no one in the South ever asks if you have crazy people in your family. They just ask what side they're on.

and

Suzanne, if sex were fast food there'd be an arch over your bed. (This one was originally used in Linda Bloodworth-Thomason, Dixie Carter and Delta Burke's earlier show, Filthy Rich.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

My family's favorite parts of Designing Women--the one where Anthony yells at the women for discussing female anatomy like he's not even there and the last episode where the little old lady keeps singing her original song, "Black Man! Black Man!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrYCrdJyaDg

Last edited by carnation; 06-29-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

There's a bad one?

This is from Dash Goff, Suzanne Sugarbaker's exhusband and ends with the above picture: "Yesterday, in my mind's eye, I saw four women standing on a verandah in white gauzy dresses and straw colored hats. They were having a conversation, and it was hot - their hankies tucked in cleavages where eternal trickles of perspiration run from the female breast bone to exotic vacation spots that Southern men often dream about. They were sweet smelling, coy, cunning, voluptuous, voracious, delicious, pernicious, vexing and sexing - these earth sister rebel mothers, these arousers and carousers. And I was filled with a longing to join them. But like a whim of Scarlett's, they turned suddenly and went inside, shutting me out with the bolt of a latch. And I was left only to pick up an abandoned handkerchief and savor the perfumed shadows of these women. These Southern women. This Suzanne, this Julia, this Mary-Jo and Charlene. Thanks for the comfort." -Dash Goff, the Writer

I also love the one when Bernice gives the Designing Women a "wildness experience weekend" and Anthony shows up:
Anthony gets caught helping the ladies and pretends to be a woman camper.
CONNIE: What's this camper's name?
ANTHONY: (in a high-pitched voice) Cindy.
CONNIE: Cindy what?
ANTHONY: Cindy Birdsong.
CONNIE: Birdsong - I don't remember that name. (to other leader) Check your list.
ANTHONY: I was late. I got on the bus at the last minute.
CONNIE: Who let you on?
ANTHONY: I don't know. Some white girl.
CONNIE: Where's your application?
ANTHONY: I turned it in.
CONNIE: To who?
ANTHONY: Some white girl.

Unfortunately, the show put new meaning into "jumped the shark" when they got rid of Suzanne and Charlene, and brought in Alison and Carlene - although I did like BJ Poteet.

Oh, Mystic Cat - I like when the snob asks Julia on which side the crazy people are in her family, and she responds, "Both sides!" I love the Terminator!!
Old 06-30-2006, 12:12 AM

My favorite (one of my favorite episodes of TV ever period) is "The Rowdy Girls." Charlene's cousin Mavis (played by Kim Zimmer who plays Reva on Guiding Light, which is another reason I like it so much) has an abusive husband, the fact of which she's covered up for years, and Charlene helps her to leave him. Every time I see it, I absolutely end up bawling.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

1) JULIA: ...In general it has been the men who have done the raping and the robbing and the killing and the war-mongering for the last two thousand years.... and it's been the men who have done the pillaging and the beheading and the subjecating of whole races into slavery. It has been the men who have done the law making and the money making and the most of the mischief making! So if the world isn't quite what you had in mind you have only yourselves to thank!!

and of course:

2) JULIA: Excuse me, aren't you Marjorie Leigh Winnick, the current Miss Georgia World?
MARJORIE: Why, yes I am.
JULIA: I'm Julia Sugarbaker, Suzanne Sugarbaker's sister. I couldn't help over hearing part of your conversation.
MARJORIE: Well, I'm sorry. I didn't know anyone was here.
JULIA: Yes, and I gather from your comments there are a couple of other things you don't know, Marjorie. For example, you probably didn't know that Suzanne was the only contestant in Georgia pageant history to sweep every category except congeniality, and that is not something the women in my family aspire to anyway. Or that when she walked down the runway in her swimsuit, five contestants quit on the spot. Or that when she emerged from the isolation booth to answer the question, "What would you do to prevent war?" she spoke so eloquently of patriotism, battlefields and diamond tiaras, grown men wept. And you probably didn't know, Marjorie, that Suzanne was not just any Miss Georgia, she was the Miss Georgia. She didn't twirl just a baton, that baton was on fire. And when she threw that baton into the air, it flew higher, further, faster than any baton has ever flown before, hitting a transformer and showering the darkened arena with sparks! And when it finally did come down, Marjorie, my sister caught that baton, and 12,000 people jumped to their feet for sixteen and one-half minutes of uninterrupted thunderous ovation, as flames illuminated her tear-stained face! And that, Marjorie --- just so you will know --- and your children will someday know --- is the night the lights went out in Georgia!
Old 06-30-2006, 05:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation
My family's favorite parts of Designing Women--the one where Anthony yells at the women for discussing female anatomy like he's not even there and the last episode where the little old lady keeps singing her original song, "Black Man! Black Man!"
YES! I sing that to this day.

BERNICE: (singing) Black man!! Black Man, where have you gone to? Black Man!! Black Man . . . where did you go? . . .
ANTHONY: Bernice, what the hell are you singing about?
BERNICE: Oh, Anthony I don't know. It just comes to me, I can't explain it. It's a gift.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:21 AM
GreekChat Member

my two absolute favorite episodes are where charlene is having her baby and the group happens into this elderly black woman's hospital room where she gives a commentary on her life, and when she passes on she's holding onto dolly parton's hand as they walk down the aisle...
also, where anthony is in the big brother's program and he takes under his wing this juvenile. when the juvenile steals and gets the group in trouble, anthony wants to give up on him, but julia talks him into still staying in the young boys life, and anthony has his talk with him in the end...

Last edited by whiteandblack; 07-01-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

My all-time favorite

When Julia calls a New York Times Reporter who has written an article saying that Southerners eat dirt ...

JULIA on the phone: Yes, you can give him a message. You do take shorthand, don't you? Good, we take it in the South too. Anyway, just tell him that I have been a Southerner all my life, and I can vouch for the fact the we do eat a lot of things down here........ and we've certainly all had our share of grits and biscuits and gravy, and I myself have probably eaten enough fried chicken to feed a third world country ---- not to mention barbecue, cornbread, watermelon, fried pies, okra, and ...........yes.........if I were being perfectly candid, I would have to admit we have also eaten our share of crow, and for all I know --- during the darkest, leanest years of the Civil War, some of us may have had a Yankee or two for breakfast. But........... speaking for myself and hundreds of thousands of my Southern ancestors who have evolved through many decades of poverty, strife, and turmoil, I would like for Mr. Weaks to know that we have surely eaten many things in the past, and we will surely eat many things in the future, but --- God as my witness - -- we have never, I repeat, NEVER EATEN DIRT!!!
Old 06-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippiechick
1) JULIA: ...In general it has been the men who have done the raping and the robbing and the killing and the war-mongering for the last two thousand years.... and it's been the men who have done the pillaging and the beheading and the subjecating of whole races into slavery. It has been the men who have done the law making and the money making and the most of the mischief making! So if the world isn't quite what you had in mind you have only yourselves to thank!!

and of course:

2) JULIA: Excuse me, aren't you Marjorie Leigh Winnick, the current Miss Georgia World?
MARJORIE: Why, yes I am.
JULIA: I'm Julia Sugarbaker, Suzanne Sugarbaker's sister. I couldn't help over hearing part of your conversation.
MARJORIE: Well, I'm sorry. I didn't know anyone was here.
JULIA: Yes, and I gather from your comments there are a couple of other things you don't know, Marjorie. For example, you probably didn't know that Suzanne was the only contestant in Georgia pageant history to sweep every category except congeniality, and that is not something the women in my family aspire to anyway. Or that when she walked down the runway in her swimsuit, five contestants quit on the spot. Or that when she emerged from the isolation booth to answer the question, "What would you do to prevent war?" she spoke so eloquently of patriotism, battlefields and diamond tiaras, grown men wept. And you probably didn't know, Marjorie, that Suzanne was not just any Miss Georgia, she was the Miss Georgia. She didn't twirl just a baton, that baton was on fire. And when she threw that baton into the air, it flew higher, further, faster than any baton has ever flown before, hitting a transformer and showering the darkened arena with sparks! And when it finally did come down, Marjorie, my sister caught that baton, and 12,000 people jumped to their feet for sixteen and one-half minutes of uninterrupted thunderous ovation, as flames illuminated her tear-stained face! And that, Marjorie --- just so you will know --- and your children will someday know --- is the night the lights went out in Georgia!
Excellent! Julia's tirades made the show complete!
Old 06-30-2006, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Where are y'all finding all this dialogue? I am loving reading it.

The one that comes to mind is an episode that starts with Mary Jo on the phone with a design client who ordereded a white piano with the faces of George, Paul, John and Ringo on it, and wants to return it. Mary Jo patiently tells the client that it's a custom item, so it can't be returned. Then ends the conversation by saying "We won't place you for collections. We don't have a collections agency. We have Julia."
Old 06-30-2006, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

My favorite is when Julia had the lead in "Mame" and Anthony had to go on at the last minute in drag as Vera Charles.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Some of my favorites:

Suzanne (from the episode where she finds out that one of her old pals on the pageant circuit is a lesbian and "coming out" didn't mean she was a debutante): Well, EXCUSE ME for not bein' up on homaseckshul history and the latest lesbian lingo! I thought Sappho was a detergent!

Charlene (during the Miss Georgia U.S. pageant mess): Yesterday, when you said that stuff about your cold, dead scalp, y'know, and then you ran out to the parking lot and threw yourself on the ground kicking and screaming, and then you crawled to your car with dirt and saliva all over your face, and then you drove away peelin' rubber ... well, we thought you were upset.

Bernice (from the same episode, having just discovered the now morbidly obese Donna Jo Karns): Look what I found in the ladies' room!
Charlene: Bernice, put her back!

Bernice (in the judge's chambers at her competency hearing): Well, I just can't believe it. That's twice he's been in here, and she's raving about some girl's breasts, and you're on the table juggling imaginary underwear. Now, I'm telling you people for the last time—you have GOT to get it together!

Bernice (who has tricked the gang into appearing on Senior Roundup, her public-access cable show): Charlene, now let's just cut through the decorating scam—how many treats do you turn a week?

Julia (offering Bernice a cookie while trying not to seem aghast at her Miss Piggy nose job): How about another nose?
Old 06-30-2006, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emory Kappa
Where are y'all finding all this dialogue? I am loving reading it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090418/quotes
Old 07-01-2006, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, Senusret I!