GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,372
0 members and 1,372 guests
No Members online

Old 01-28-2017, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Same Sex Marriage possibly causing membership cancellation???

I was reading a posting on George Takei's feed called
I married my sorority pledge sister. (They do identify the NPC sorority near the end of the article)

According to the article and the chronology there, they pledged about 10 years ago and graduated 6 years ago.

The last paragraph ends with
"Also, as far as I know, we’re still registered *ABC* — I’ve read our handbook numerous times and have never found anything explicitly noting that you can’t marry a sister. We thought that maybe, someday, we'd get a letter from the board asking us to send back our pins and de-register... but so far, so good."

(The ABC is in place of the NPC Sorority mentioned, I don't want to make it *about* that sorority)

Anyway, it was unexpected to me that they would think there is a chance that the GLO would take membership away, I would expect that for all NIC, NPC and NPHC GLOs that things have gone far enough that a chapter would be in trouble for denying membership based on being LGB. (T is somewhat up in the air)
Old 01-28-2017, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

I also read it Naraht, and I think it was probably completely a click bait article, especially the "I guess we are still members" diatribe at the end.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Definitely clickbait. I know of no evidence that any sorority discriminates against either active members or alumnae on the basis of sexual orientation. I was far more troubled by the hazing and drug use described in the article - both are against ABC sorority policy. I hope this was invented for the sake of making the article more interesting and is not true, but if it is true, I hope it was appropriately dealt with.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:07 AM

^Agreed. I read the article and thought "Marrying your sister isn't what's going to get your pin pulled and I bet that chapter will have HQ at their door in a hot minute."
Old 01-29-2017, 02:12 AM

I would hope a chapter wouldn't be disciplined now for things that happened 10 years ago, especially when the source is highly questionable. It didn't ring true IMO and I don't really find Bustle trustworthy in general. If this article had been in The Advocate that would have been another story.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Clickbait...

If they hadn't identified the NPC sorority in the article, I would have been much more certain that it was clickbait. (Not sure if I should identify it here to save those who don't want to click on the article.) I agree that the hazing/drinking is disturbing, but I also don't know under what conditions actions would be taken against a chapter for something which occurred where all of the members at the time have graduated.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I would hope a chapter wouldn't be disciplined now for things that happened 10 years ago, especially when the source is highly questionable. It didn't ring true IMO and I don't really find Bustle trustworthy in general. If this article had been in The Advocate that would have been another story.
Disciplined? I agree they shouldn't be held accountable for stuff that happened 6-10 years ago; but, I would ask a lot of questions about what's going on now. The woman didn't indicate any sense that the behavior was not acceptable. That could lead to an impression that it's ingrained into the chapters sense of normalcy. I would take a second look and question any advisors who came through the chapter during the time period. I don't know the criminal statute for hazing or how far back a member could file a civil lawsuit. I'd want to cover my bases.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:28 AM

That's what I mean about it not ringing true. I feel like she exaggerated certain things (like one line of coke turning into a frisbee-full*) to hammer home the point about how her wife made her a better person. She seems bitter about the sorority (other than her wife) and obviously not thinking of or caring that her stories might have repercussions for others.

*in a FRISBEE? Seriously, what.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know whether to believe it or not. It reads like fan fiction.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Wasn't this article actually a story originally in a book, compiled with other similar stories about LGBT women in Greek Life, published within the past 20 years? When I read that book a few years ago it included more than one story about women from (the same sorority named in the article here).