GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,115
0 members and 1,115 guests
No Members online

Old 08-15-2016, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Oklahoma State 2016

A friend's daughter went through OSU recruitment but dropped out the morning of pref. The mom is telling me that only 625 of the 925 PNM's made it to Pref Night and that of the girls who attended pref, only 77% accepted bids.

I don't know much about OSU but this is a Panhellenic failure of epic proportions if true. I am guessing the mom does not have all the facts straight - certainly don't want to correct her especially since her daughter is hurting but can anyone confirm what % of registered PNM's withdrew and what % accepted bids?? Just curious.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I will see what I can find out from alums. I think the numbers you got must be off, though, as OSU has had RFM in place for a long time. I know that quota must have been around 52-54, as KD and DDD had 54 new members and GPhiB welcomed 55. PNMs who drop out with invitations are not the failure of Panhellenic. Did your friends daughter just not like her invites to pref, or did she receive no invitations? Two different scenarios.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Just saw a bid list and it looks like 697 bids issued. At least by my rudimentary count.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the info. Do you know how many registered? 697 / 925 = 75% placement rate. That's pretty low for a RFM campus, if true. My sorority is not on campus so even though it's in my region, I know nothing about Ok State.

Her daughter had 1 house left and withdrew the morning of Pref. Not what I would have recommended, but I think we all know how hard it can be for an emotional, heartbroken 18-year-old to put on a "Panhellenic" hat and think rationally.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I had one rec girl withdraw this week and "will be doing COB"...... I didn't hear anything specific, but did hear that Miss State tried a variable quota with RFM and the girls were really complaining and blaming the new sorority on campus.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

is the 925 Registration number a fact or a PNMs report? The other numbers are not correct, as I saw a bid list with roughly 700 bids listed, so the rumor that only 77% of 625 at pref were placed is incorrect. I'll see what I can find out.

pmdal, do you mean Miss State or ok state for variable RFM?
Old 08-15-2016, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Katmandu - I meant Mississippi State.....
Old 08-15-2016, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
is the 925 Registration number a fact or a PNMs report? The other numbers are not correct, as I saw a bid list with roughly 700 bids listed, so the rumor that only 77% of 625 at pref were placed is incorrect. I'll see what I can find out.

pmdal, do you mean Miss State or ok state for variable RFM?
925 came from the mom. It could be (and probably is) totally incorrect!

And the daughter said that only 77% of girls who got bids accepted them. Again- most likely totally wrong info.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

There are lots of (odd) rumors going on about recruitment at Oklahoma State. A PNM told me on Saturday that OSU did not use their actual GPAs but used their own personal formula of selecting classes to use and omitting grades from other classes to make their own calculations. Sounded crazy to me, but I didn't argue with her because she is 18 years old!

Does this sound like there is a morsel of truth in there? Or did someone just have a lower GPA than they wanted to admit?
Old 08-15-2016, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissyintexas View Post
There are lots of (odd) rumors going on about recruitment at Oklahoma State. A PNM told me on Saturday that OSU did not use their actual GPAs but used their own personal formula of selecting classes to use and omitting grades from other classes to make their own calculations. Sounded crazy to me, but I didn't argue with her because she is 18 years old!

Does this sound like there is a morsel of truth in there? Or did someone just have a lower GPA than they wanted to admit?
Typically PH uses their "core" subjects GPA- not including cheerleading, etc. It's usually the GPA the U uses during the admissions process also.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I think what is happening is that recruitment at Oklahoma State, for years gently competitive in a low key way, is now highly competitive in a OU, SEC way, and girls that dominated their high school social circles, find that at Cowboy U, they are no longer the unassailable queen bees they fancy themselves to be. It's easier to blame the system and say "only 77% of women at pref were placed" ( which is an amazingly abysmal percentage even pre RFM) and to say, "they took random GPAs generated using a formula that included eye of newt and blue moons" than to say, ...."I didn't get the invites I thought I deserved"
Old 08-15-2016, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissyintexas View Post

I know nothing about Oklahoma State, but I can say that at the University of Michigan, they drop all +'s and -'s and only take unweighted GPAs. They also drop non-core classes so only academic courses count to the GPA they use to determine admission. Most colleges don't use weighted GPAs from high school so this could be what happened. I'll hear someone say they didn't get into the University of Michigan with a 4.0 and find out that it's their weighted GPA. Their real GPA is more like a 3.6 or 3.7, which isn't high enough to get in there anymore.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Katmandu, I think you are right.

I also think AGDEE is right. That completely makes sense and the combination is probably true. I had another girl going through tell me OSU was "super chill" and she didn't need recs. She would not listen to reason from me or her friends who kept trying to tell her to get some recs!

Last edited by sissyintexas; 08-15-2016 at 07:12 PM. Reason: I had more to say!
Old 08-15-2016, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

OSU chapters have always had far higher GPA minimums for pledging than their national organizations. I had a true 4.0 unweighted back in the Stone Age and was not unique, not by a long shot, in my pledge class. And we weren't the "smart sorority" lol.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdal View Post
Katmandu - I meant Mississippi State.....
At Mississippi State, ADPi recolonized there a few years ago...is that the "new" sorority you are talking about?