GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen

Old 05-19-2016, 07:40 AM

Dear GC White folks,

Your privilege is showing.

Love,

Me

Lakers Nation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-19-2016, 07:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post

(DrPhil was so much better at explaining issues like this.)
1) It's a great article.
2) It's not really your job to educate white people, so thank you for your efforts.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Dear GC White folks,

Love,

Me
Lol, especially when this shows up under the thread where everyone is crying "discrimination" because Harvard isn't letting Greeks captain teams.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
1) It's a great article.
2) It's not really your job to educate white people, so thank you for your efforts.
No, it's not my job to educate white people. Sadly though, these incidents of racial insensitivity by white people keep happening. That is why I title my thread 'Know your American History'.

As long as some of the participants in this thread were being glib about the issue you, DBB, had no comment. Once you and anyone who reads through this thread were given a perspective on the topic that differed from the glib attitude,now you want to act offended.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Dear GC White folks,

Love,

Me
In my opinion, the vast majority of "GC White folks" understand that the image is totally inappropriate.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-19-2016, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Dear GC White folks,

Love,

Me
QFT.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
No, it's not my job to educate white people. Sadly though, these incidents of racial insensitivity by white people keep happening. That is why I title my thread 'Know your American History'.

As long as some of the participants in this thread were being glib about the issue you, DBB, had no comment. Once you and anyone who reads through this thread were given a perspective on the topic that differed from the glib attitude,now you want to act offended.
Sorry, I didn't mean to say that you SHOULDN'T educate people if you wish to.

I was responding to the parenthetical where you noted that you are doing a worse job than Dr. Phil and pointing out that anything you are doing is above and beyond what is reasonable when it comes to educating people who obviously have an internet connection. You provided a great read on the topic.

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 05-19-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
In my opinion, the vast majority of "GC White folks" understand that the image is totally inappropriate.
I haven't seen one person defend this image as potentially appropriate including the sorority whose shirt it was on. Some just want to go out of their way to be toxic whenever racial issues are brought up.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-19-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I haven't seen one person defend this image as potentially appropriate including the sorority whose shirt it was on. Some just want to go out of their way to be toxic whenever racial issues are brought up.
Neither have I. To be clear, when I first read KSUViolet's comment I thought she was making a broad sweeping generalization about the issue and about the opinions held

After reading it again, I'm thinking that she might have been referring to the comments by some posters making (in my opinion) snide comments about watermelon. If that is so, I am in agreement with her. However, with great respect to KSUViolet and her years on this board, I would never assume to speak for her- so I may be wrong about the whole thing.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-20-2016, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think anyone here would think that image was cool, but the thread veered toward watermelon and cotton being inherently racist.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
For the record, I make my guys send me the t-shirt design first for approval before they send it to Greek Life. I have told them that they'd rather have me catch something inappropriate first before the University catches it. It's worked well so far.
Would your eye for the offensive tag the image of an Indian as inappropriate? I think this is one of Arkansas State's past images (lifting a scalp):

Just wondering, as your signature suggests that you find neither the term "Indian" nor the history of the mascot offensive or inappropriate:

Quote:
I'm not an expert on the topic (I'm a "white folk"), and realize this has been a source of controversy surrounding teams in the sports realm, but I'm wondering, what would you consider an appropriate "Indian" image or use of the term on a t-shirt?

Last edited by Hartofsec; 05-21-2016 at 02:34 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

The subjects are two entirely different things. There are actually strong arguments on both sides of the pro vs. anti Indian mascot issue (and according to a Washington Post poll, around 9 in 10 natives do not find the Redskins moniker offensive). There's basically universal agreement on the watermelon thing. The issues aren't really comparable.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Again, not an expert on mascots here, but I would assume that a depiction of any ethnicity as a cartoon savage might be considered universally offensive. Runnin' Joe was apparently dropped for that reason by Arkansas State.

Yet FWIW, Runnin' Joe lives on there:

Old 05-21-2016, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Are you just trolling now or is there some point to this?
Old 05-21-2016, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure there was any point to anyone questioning whether "white folks" or anyone else considers the caricature on the ADPi t-shirt offensive.

Just asking LaneSig, as he opened the thread with:

Quote:
I wish that I could say that I'm shocked.
I was shocked that this image was found on a sorority shirt at Samford -- who wouldn't be? What was meant by that comment?

Just wondering how deep his sensitivities actually run -- unjustly suggesting that some "folks" on this thread don't understand the insensitive nature of the t-shirt image, while embracing the insensitive mascot history of his own alma mater.