GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,135
4 members and 2,131 guests
John

Old 03-25-2004, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Pledge of Allegiance in Schools

Schools are eliminating the Pledge of Allegiance because of "UNDER GOD." My sincerest apologies if this has been posted already.

By DEBERA CARLTON HARRELL AND MARGO HORNER
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTERS

A federal appeals court has ruled that reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools is unconstitutional because it includes the words "under God," violating the separation of church and state.

The 2-1 decision -- handed down yesterday by a three-member panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco -- was heralded by atheists and civil rights activists and vilified by citizens ranging from President Bush to elementary school students.

NOTE: This article has been updated since it was originally published in the newspaper.
The judge who wrote the opinion put the ruling on hold indefinitely Thursday until fellow members of the 9th Circuit decide whether to reconsider the case.

If allowed to stand, the ruling would mean children in Washington and eight other Western states covered by the court could no longer recite the pledge in public schools.

It could also open the door to broader interpretation, legal experts say, banning the Pledge of Allegiance before city and county council meetings, school board meetings, and other public arenas.

After the ruling, U.S. House members gathered on the front steps of the Capitol to recite the pledge en masse -- the same place they defiantly sang "God Bless America" the night of the Sept. 11 attacks.

And senators, who were debating a defense bill, angrily stopped to unanimously pass a resolution denouncing the decision.

Indeed, the ruling elicited passionate responses from those on each side of the issue.

"I think in a sense the ruling stops the government from imposing religious pressure on people," said Dave Anderson, director of the Washington Chapter of American Atheists.

"The government is sponsoring a pledge that includes religious rhetoric."

Anderson said he believes the ruling would apply to all government functions.

The American Civil Liberties Union called the court's finding "correct and is consistent with recent (U.S.) Supreme Court rulings invalidating prayer at school events."

For the entire article, click here

I'll post when I hear some responses.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-25-2004, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw this on the news yesterday. I find it ironic that the man that brought the debate is atheist/agnostic (I'm not sure which), but that his ex-wife is Christian and doesn't agree. She said that she doesn't want her child to be known as the child that caused for the pledge to be outlawed.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CountryGurl Send a message via Yahoo to CountryGurl
I don't agree with the removal of the Pledge of Allegiance in schools however, I always found it strange that students could acknowledge a flag or what it represents but are not allowed to pray/acknowledge God in schools.

Nu Gamma Omega Chapter
Old 03-26-2004, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CountryGurl
I don't agree with the removal of the Pledge of Allegiance in schools however, I always found it strange that students could acknowledge a flag or what it represents but are not allowed to pray/acknowledge God in schools.
I disagree too! If it was a time that Christians need to speak out, it's now.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
I stopped saying the pledge back when I was in grade school. I didn't find it to be true, so why say it. I caught a lot of flack for that because I went to a catholic school, but my parents stood behind me with it. When I got to high school, which was also a catholic, it got worse, but I was older then, and I was really like yeah right like you gone make me say that.

Be Breezy - Calvin from "House of Payne"
Old 03-26-2004, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by delph998
I disagree too! If it was a time that Christians need to speak out, it's now.
This is true...but it seems like too many Christians are trying to be tolerant of any and everything instead of actually standing up for something
Old 03-26-2004, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1savvydiva
I saw this on the news yesterday. I find it ironic that the man that brought the debate is atheist/agnostic (I'm not sure which), but that his ex-wife is Christian and doesn't agree. She said that she doesn't want her child to be known as the child that caused for the pledge to be outlawed.
Yes, I say her interview on GMA. Apparently, when she was married she was atheist just like her husband, but has since become a born again Christian.

I don't see anything wrong with saying the pledge of allegiance nor saying "under God".

Let him (the atheist that's bringing this suit) get into a life threatening situation. I guarentee he will be calling on the name of Jesus! *lol*

But seriously, I agree. We as bible believing Christians should be more vocal. God clearly tells us that we should stand for what's right and pure according to His word even if there are those people that don't like (remember we are not above our Lord, so if the world didn't like what He stood for, we can expect the same if not worse treatment).

For those interested in becoming active with keeping Christian values "alive and kickin'" in our society, check out www.afa.net .
Old 03-26-2004, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
Not to bring the religion aspect into it, if you dont want to say Under God, then dont' say it. If you dont want to say the Pledge, then dont say it. I have an issue with other people telling me what I can and can't say, period.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Public Institutions should be free of religion. Let people worship (or not worship) as they wish outside of school. The pledge has undergone quite a few mutations and, according to our country's founding fathers, the phrase should never have been inserted. While there are places where church and state seem to intersect, they don't threaten religious freedom because they are not endorsed by public institutions (the gov't).

This case is not about the pledge but serves to reinforce a need to keep very clear the separation between church and state within the public sphere. I think we, as a country, need to be mindful about letting too much "church" seep into our public institutions. Many people have no problem saying "under God" because our country is predominantly Christian. But we are not a "Christian" country (as Italy is a Catholic Country). What if the phrase was "under Allah," or "under Jehovah-Shalom," or "through Buddha," or "under Mother Earth?" Because this country was founded on a belief that our public institutions should be free of religious bias, if we recognize one religion's name for "The Supreme Being" (in Christianity, "God") shouldn't we recognize all of them? How is it possible to choose one? Additionally, it follows that if we're going to recognize religious beliefs, then we must recognize non-belief also, since one is also free in this country to be atheist (which is very different from agnosticism, even though they are often equated as like). What about substituting "under nothing?" Schools are public institutions in a country that should not have religious bias. Do you see where the problem lies? Why should one religion be favored in an institution created to serve the populace?

I realize that every student has the right not to say the pledge because of religious beliefs; they are welcome to choose to sit with mouths closed. However, I don't think a decision to affect non-participation in an activity the school endorses should be made based upon CONFLICTING religious beliefs. I say "conflicting" religious beliefs because not participating in the pledge is a response to an opposing belief, not solely because of the student's own religious dogma.

We've done a pretty good job of keeping church and state separate. Let's not erode what the founding fathers set out to do and the reason so many people come to this country. If you are really adamant that your religious beliefs be a part of your child's daily schooling, you are welcome to send them to any private religious school of your choosing.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you Choo-ChooAKA!

This is not about whether one is a Christian or any other kind of religion. Especially since not every religion calls its deity God.

It is simply about the separation of church and state and the mandating of a pledge being recited that has religious overtones in an institution that is funded by public dollars. And if you go back and research why the amendment was passed in the first place it had to do with folx being persecuted by governments because of their religious beliefs. Think Ireland and the Catholic/Protestant wars.

And it is the same reason why every May/June we send letters to all public schools in Minnesota reminding them that mandating prayer at graduation is in violation of the Constitution. Every year we get schools who do it, and students/parents who then want to sue the school. And these aren't necessarily aetheists, but people of different religious beliefs who feel their particular belief is not being respected. Think Jewish students who are forced to listen to a prayer praising Jesus.

Personally, I do not recite the Pledge of Allegiance nor do I sing the National Anthem. But that's a whole 'nother issue.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!

Last edited by ladygreek; 03-27-2004 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 9dstpm
I saw the same story on GMA and The Early Show. Hubby and I believe that this man who wants Under God removed from the pledge is using this to divert from the problems that he is really having with his ex-wife over custody/child support/visitation issues involving the little girl. Does anyone else feel that way, or noticed how he kept throwing up those issues when he was interviewed?

As for the pledge, if you don't want to say it, then don't. Sit down somewhere. But as for me and my house, we believe in God and we will fight to keep Under God in the pledge.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 9dstpm

As for the pledge, if you don't want to say it, then don't. Sit down somewhere. But as for me and my house, we believe in God and we will fight to keep Under God in the pledge.
I know that is right Soror! The comments in this thread represent secularism at its best! Folx always wonder why God let this and that happen....and then they forget that they have pushed God so far out of the public arena

For those that don't know there is a war going on physical and spiritual....I hope my brothers and sisters in Christ leave the house everyday with their armour on!!
Old 03-27-2004, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 9dstpm

No I won't go sit down somewhere. I just don't recite it and it has nothing to do with the phrase Under God. And as for me and my house we also believe in God but we also believe in the Bill of Rights and separation of church and state.

And very honestly, the God in whom I believe is not so vain as to be upset that a phrase using his name may be eliminated from a pledge that is really about allegiance to a flag and a republic (which by the way brought our ancestors here as slaves.)

It is not about allegiance to Him.

Last edited by ladygreek; 03-27-2004 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
No I won't go sit down somewhere. I just don't recite it and it has nothing to do with the phrase Under God. And as for me and my house we also believe in God but we also believe in the Bill of Rights and separation of church and state.

And very honestly, the God in whom I believe is not so vain as to be upset that a phrase using his name may be eliminated from a pledge that is really about allegiance to a flag and a republic (which by the way brought our ancestors here as slaves.)

It is not about allegiance to Him.

Ladygreek, I know this thread is old but this is the first time I've read it. If you could see me now, I'm giving you a standing ovation!
Old 03-28-2004, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

You're not late

Quote:
Originally posted by NUPE4LIFE
Ladygreek, I know this thread is old but this is the first time I've read it. If you could see me now, I'm giving you a standing ovation!
Nupe4Life, I just posted that yesterday so you are right on time. And thank you for the ovation. I'm just glad that someone else sees the issue I see.