GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,393
1 members and 2,392 guests
Pinkmagnolia921
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisigduchesscv
Unhappy Possible Hazing Deaths

Sad news about deaths due to possible hazing here in Los Angeles

Here is the link to the article then I will cut and paste article http://kcal9.com/topstories/StoryFol...323025161_html

Mother Blames Hazing For Drownings
Two Victims Die In Nighttime Surf Off Dockweiler State Beach
Sep 10, 2002 2:30 pm US/Pacific
(AP)-(PLAYA DEL REY )-Two women who drowned during a nighttime beach visit may have been undergoing a sorority hazing, the mother of one victim said Tuesday.

Kenitha Saafir, 24, of Compton and Kristin High, 22, of Los Angeles were pulled to shore in Playa del Rey by police officers but died at the scene, authorities said.

High, a California State University, Los Angeles, student and mother of a 2-year-old boy, had been undergoing an initiation rite for the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, her mother, Pat Fargas, told KCAL-TV.

"She's crying back from her death to say stop this hazing," Fargas said.

"They had them all dressed in black, they blindfolded them, told them to hold onto each other" and then were directed along the beach, High's fiancee, Holman Arthurs, told KABC-TV. "I guess what happened, had to be, was that it was high tide, and the tide went over them."

Fargas alleged the women had been undergoing initiation rituals for weeks. They'd been pushed into the water blindfolded and with their hands tied, the station said.

"I tried to talk to all of them this weekend and said stop it, and I'm gonna call and report this, and now it's too late," she said.

Police said they could not immediately confirm the account.

Uniformed officers were sent to a Playa del Rey beach about 11:30 p.m. Monday on reports of women screaming, Officer Eduardo Funes said in a statement.

The officers were met by four people who said that two of their friends "were swept into the ocean and had not come out," Funes said.

The officers removed their leather belts and boots and dove into the ocean in heavy surf, located the women and pulled them out.

Attempts by the officers and paramedics to revive them failed.

The sorority had no information on the incident, Executive Director Betty James said from its Chicago headquarters.

"The sorority expresses its condolences to the families and will cooperate with authorities in their investigation," she said.

Alpha Kappa Alpha has an anti-hazing policy adopted two years ago by the National Pan-Hellenic Council Inc., which includes representatives of nine historically black fraternities and sororities.

The policy calls for holding people who engage in hazing "personally liable to the victim and to answer to the law and the organization," according to the Alpha Kappa Alpha Web site.

(© 2002 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Now CSU Los Angeles says that the AKA's were not a recognized organization on campus. I do know of at least one chapter that has sisters among a couple of campus's. The news tonight is saying it was hazing related but I don't know if the police have been able to confirm it.

IG - CKA
Vice Archon - So. LA County Alumnae Chapter
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-11-2002, 02:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphiangel624
I'm including the article on this incident from channel 4 news as well...

This incident has utterly terrified me... I work in a position at my campus where I assist a director of student organizations (particularly IFC, NPC, and other GLOs), and I assist in the prosecution for hazing incidents... But this has made me realize just how easy my job really is...

I feel horrible for the members of AKA nationwide, including my own campus, who will be to no doubt affected by this. Another director of student orgs in my office is an alum. of AKA and I can't possibly imagine what she will have to say tomorrow when she comes in to work... I don't know- I guess the hazing is never going to end, which means the stereotyping of GLOs in general will never end, and the bad name will never end, so long as things like this happen... why even do this??

Carol
Gamma Phi Beta- Delta Lambda- UC Riverside

"I'm a little Gamma Phi, Delta Lambda, Riverside. Everybody smiles at me, that is why I'm a G Phi B!"

Mother: Sorority Hazing May Have Caused Drowning
Victim Attended Cal State Los Angeles

UPDATED: 4:58 p.m. PDT September 10, 2002

LOS ANGELES -- Two women who drowned during a nighttime beach visit may have been undergoing a sorority hazing, the mother of one victim said Tuesday.

Kenitha Saafir, 24, of Compton and Kristin High, 22, of Los Angeles were pulled to shore in Playa del Rey by police officers but pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.

High, a California State University, Los Angeles, student and mother of a 2-year-old son, had been undergoing an initiation rite for the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, her mother, Pat Fargas, told reporters.

"She's crying back from her death to say 'stop this hazing,' " Fargas said.

Fargas alleged the women had been undergoing initiation rituals for weeks. They'd been pushed into the water blindfolded and with their hands tied, according to a local station.

"I tried to talk to all of them this weekend and said 'stop it, and I'm gonna call and report this,' and now it's too late," she said.

Police said they could not immediately confirm the account.

Uniformed officers were sent to a Playa del Rey beach at about 11:30 p.m. Monday after reports of women screaming, Officer Eduardo Funes said in a statement.

The officers were met by four people who said that two of their friends "were swept into the ocean and had not come out," Funes said.

The officers removed their leather belts and boots and dove into the ocean in heavy surf, located the women and pulled them out.

Attempts by the officers and paramedics to revive them failed.

The sorority had no information on the incident, Executive Director Betty James said from its Chicago headquarters.

"The sorority expresses its condolences to the families and will cooperate with authorities in their investigation," she said.

Alpha Kappa Alpha has an anti-hazing policy adopted two years ago by the National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc., which includes representatives of nine historically black fraternities and sororities.

The policy calls for holding people who engage in hazing "personally liable to the victim and to answer to the law and the organization," according to the Alpha Kappa Alpha Web site.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

That is terrible
Old 09-11-2002, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Exclamation Before anyone else post's here...

please read this thread:

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...threadid=23261

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
Even if what has been reported is true, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. is NOT to blame just as Delta was not to blame for the tragic car accident that happened in Florida. Who are to blame are renegade members of the sororities who insist on defying our rules and regulations.

My prayers go out to the families of these young ladies. And I hope to God that the message is heard loud and clear--

MEMBERS cut out the stupidity!
PROSPECTS do not submit yourself to anything that is stupid or dangerous!

NONE OF US CONDONE HAZING!!!!!

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 09-11-2002 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
As Ninja Poodle pointed out, there is already a thread on this subject. Please post there.

Amy

Last edited by amycat412; 09-11-2002 at 06:28 PM.
Closed Thread