GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,315
1 members and 1,314 guests
speedsters

Old 10-27-2010, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Arkansas school board member wants "fags" to kill themselves

Utterly horrified, disgusted and dismayed. The message makes me want to vomit, but additionally, a school board member who uses the word "thereselves"? Article text is as follows, with a link at the bottom:

An Arkansas School Board member recently launched an inflammatory anti-gay tirade on Facebook that ran the gamut from basic bigoted slurs, to encouraging "fags" to commit suicide and announcing that he'd disown his own children if they were gay.

In response to a a massively popular Facebook initiative to show support for gay youths in response to a recent wave of suicides, Clint McCance, a board member in the Midland school district in northern Arkansas, wrote this screed, provided to the Advocate:
"Seriously they want me to wear purple because five queers killed themselves. The only way im wearin it for them is if they all commit suicide. I cant believe the people of this world have gotten this stupid. We are honoring the fact that they sinned and killed thereselves because of their sin. REALLY PEOPLE."
The reaction to the post was both positive and negative, the Advocate reports. McCance responded to one detractor, saying:
"No because being a fag doesn't give you the right to ruin the rest of our lives. If you get easily offended by being called a fag then dont tell anyone you are a fag. Keep that shit to yourself. I dont care how people decide to live their lives. They dont bother me if they keep it to thereselves. It pisses me off though that we make a special purple fag day for them. I like that fags cant procreate. I also enjoy the fact that they often give each other aids and die. If you arent against it, you might as well be for it."
After one commenter invoked McCance's Christianity and his willingness to seemingly talk hatefully about the families of other people, McCance wrote back:
"I would disown my kids they were gay. They will not be welcome at my home or in my vicinity. I will absolutely run them off. Of course my kids will know better. My kids will have solid christian beliefs. See it infects everyone."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_774656.html
Old 10-27-2010, 04:17 PM

Disgusting.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Gotta love Arkansas....
Old 10-27-2010, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Waited a while to use this one.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a school board member? Wow.

There are no words, no words for this "man".
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-27-2010, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD Alum View Post
but additionally, a school board member who uses the word "thereselves"?
A school board member from Midland, Arkansas.

I had to look up where it was...and it turns out it's in my current "metropolitan" area of Ft. Smith. And, I'm really good at Arkansas geography, especially due to high school football. When I first heard of this, I thought they were referring to Midland, Texas.

I mean, it sucks and he should never have said that but the fact that he's a school board member is to be taken with a grain of salt. A dog could be a school board member there. They only have 250-odd people in the town.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 10-27-2010, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 10-27-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
Gotta love Arkansas....
Please don't blame Arkansas. It's a great place to live, with many great people.

Paladino lives in New York and is anti-gay. I don't blame all of New York for 1 person.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-27-2010, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Please don't blame Arkansas. It's a great place to live, with many great people.
Vocal prejudice is definitely acceptable as long as it isn't directed at certain minority groups, right?
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 10-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned

First Amendment!
Freedom of Speech!
Politically correct!
Opinions are opinions!
Where's the bigotry?!
Liberal yingyang twins!
Old 10-27-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Vocal prejudice is definitely acceptable as long as it isn't directed at certain minority groups, right?
Wow. Way to misinterpret a post. When did I say or imply that?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-27-2010, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Wow. Way to misinterpret a post. When did I say or imply that?
Wasn't directed at you, sorry.

It was one Arkansan speaking to another, regarding someone else's prejudices.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Wasn't directed at you, sorry.

It was one Arkansan speaking to another, regarding someone else's prejudices.
No problem. Sorry for my reaction. I do have problems with how Arkansans get depicted and this moron doesn't help.

It's like how I hate when a movie is set in the South and someone walks into the sheriff's office. There's no airconditioning and one of those sorry old time fans that just goes back and forth.

We have airconditioning. We don't say "Aw, shucks" (well, not a lot of us). And, we aren't all prejudiced white trash.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Liberal yingyang twins!
Buahahahahaha
Old 10-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

It's his First Amendment right to subject himself to international ridicule. My guess is that in a 250-person burg in northwest Arkansas, this should be good enough to get him elected mayor. Maybe even to the state legislature.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma