GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,451
0 members and 2,451 guests
No Members online

Old 11-10-2009, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

U of Memphis Suspends Fraternities

I heard this on the news last night.
http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-uofm-f...,5190403.story

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...er-situations/
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-10-2009, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

There has got to be more to this story, don't you think? They have suspended all of the fraternities because of the actions of two? Two of the "incidents" they reported don't seem like things to suspend a chapter over:
Swastikas were found on a house the historically Jewish Fraternity Zeta Beta Tau had expressed interest in buying. (that is a fraternity's fault how???)

There was also a small fire recently at the Alpha Tau Omega House. (unless the cause was something illegal/hazing/drinking oriented, I don't see how this a reason to suspend a chapter).

I think this must have more to do with the unspecified "fights and large parties" mentioned?
Old 11-11-2009, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Something similar happened at my university last year. A shuttle from an off campus fraternity house party got into a car accident. It was nothing too serious but one of the passengers was a D1 athlete and the athletic department got involved along with university administration. All of the chapters got put on indefinite social probation until a social registration policy was implemented.

My guess is they had a minor risk management issue with one chapter and the administration got involved and overreacted. Is this really newsworthy though?