GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,099
0 members and 1,099 guests
No Members online

Old 09-07-2007, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quebec woman fights to change her last name

This is somewhat old news, but a recently-married woman in Quebec is fighting to use officially assume her husband's last name. In 1981, a law was passed REQUIRING people (men AND women) to keep the name they had at birth (I'm assuming that this means that if I move to Quebec, I'll have to resume using "Cindy" rather than "Cynthia"...I legally changed it to Cynthia in my early 20s.). This was apparently seen as "progressive" in 1981. But it also doesn't give people the choice to change. Also, in British Columbia, if you want to hyphenate your last names after marriage, it is considered an OFFICIAL name change (different from the name change procedure when one gets married. In other words, you can keep your name, take on your spouse's name OR use two last names minus the hyphen (I think....now I'm not too sure). But you can't hyphenate.). This means a new birth certificate. What do you think about this? Crazy? Just as archaic as forcing a woman to change her last name after marriage?

Article about Quebec case

BC Case

Last edited by Taualumna; 09-07-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-07-2007, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

This reminds me of the scene in Robin Hood: Men in Tights when the king asks the old hag/witch lady about her name, Latrine. She tells them a few centuries ago it was Shithouse.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, well, men in the US who want to change their names have to do this in all but 9 states so I don't exactly feel bad for this lady at all.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:58 PM

It's very easy in Massachusetts to specify any last name you like when you get married. There's a spot on the form, for both the bride and the groom, to specify the last name to be used after marriage. You can write in whatever you want - your own current last names, his name for both bride and groom, her name for both bride and groom, or something else entirely.

That, IMO, is the way to do it. People should not be forced to change their names when they get married, nor should they be forced to keep their existing names, nor should they have to do a separate name-change process if they want to do something "unusual" like a man taking his wife's last name.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I think a name is personal and there is no fathomable reason for the government to restrict what it is unless you're wanting to change it to something obscene or are wanting to change it to dodge creditors. Quebec should absolutely give women or men the right to choose their name.

I think all states should do it the way Mass. does it. Also, I think there should be one spot that you change it at, too (this is kind of a hijack... sorry!). When I took my certified copy of my marriage license in to change my name for my drivers license, they could have easily directed me to make a stop by the car registration desk (less than 100 feet away) while I was already there so that they could change my registration paperwork. Instead, 6 months later when I took off of work early to get my updated car tags, they informed me that they couldn't do it because they needed to see the marriage certificate (driver's license was apparently not good enough, even though I had to show the marriage license in order to get it!). By that time, it was too late to go over to the other side of town where our safety deposit box was with our marriage license. So... I had to take off AGAIN early the next day to go to the safety deposit box, then back to get the car tags.

Sometimes I marvel at the logic of government bureaucracy...
Old 09-09-2007, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
It's very easy in Massachusetts to specify any last name you like when you get married. There's a spot on the form, for both the bride and the groom, to specify the last name to be used after marriage. You can write in whatever you want - your own current last names, his name for both bride and groom, her name for both bride and groom, or something else entirely.

That, IMO, is the way to do it. People should not be forced to change their names when they get married, nor should they be forced to keep their existing names, nor should they have to do a separate name-change process if they want to do something "unusual" like a man taking his wife's last name.
Georgia is the same way - men and women can change their last name equally easily when they get married. No big deal

I read somewhere that there are only six states that do it this way, but I don't remember which states.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel sorry for this lady. Icelandic surnames don't often allow for the woman to take on her husband's last name since most of them are patronymic. It is not uncommon to see a family of four with all different last names!
Old 09-09-2007, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Name Change in TX

I just about pulled my hair out trying to get my TX driver's license to match my passport. Wouldn't you think a passport would trump a state requirement?
I have always been called by my middle name. My first name - Cathy - was in honour of my godmother (and the 1963 SWTSU homecoming queen! - Chi Omega). I wanted to get rid of it, and have what was my maiden middle name become my first name, use my maiden surname for my middle name, and then use my husband's last name. Fairly straight forward, I thought.
WRONG. TDPS said no. Even though the Federal govenment was more than happy to change my passport, I never could get TX to give me a license - had to move to TN to get my DL with my real name. I guess if I move back to TX it will be easier - they'll just take the name from my TN license.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taualumna View Post
Also, in British Columbia, if you want to hyphenate your last names after marriage, it is considered an OFFICIAL name change (different from the name change procedure when one gets married. In other words, you can keep your name, take on your spouse's name OR use two last names minus the hyphen (I think....now I'm not too sure). But you can't hyphenate.). This means a new birth certificate.
You are correct that in BC if you want to hyphenate your sir name it is considered a legal name change. But you don't get a new birth certificate, you would get a name change certificate.

The name change law in Quebec is completely backwards. I had no idea that that existed.

Last edited by bcdphie; 09-29-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdphie View Post
You are correct that in BC if you want to hyphenate your sir name it is considered a legal name change. But you don't get a new birth certificate, you would get a name change certificate.
"Sir name"? Are we talking about name changes that go along with sex changes here? LOL
Old 10-01-2007, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
"Sir name"? Are we talking about name changes that go along with sex changes here? LOL
Didn't catch that typo . But hey it's BC, so it works.