GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,474
0 members and 1,474 guests
No Members online

Old 07-31-2013, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

My in-laws are CRAZY. My husband wants me to write a book on some of their comments, criticisms, etc. there are too many to list, but some of my favorites:When we were dating back in college, I was telling a story about a horrible car accident that my sister and I were in during High School. Future FIL says to me, " too bad you didn't die because then you would have never met son's name.

When my mother was dying of cancer, we had planned to spend Thanksgiving with her and my dad. My MIL said " I wish your mother would hurry up and die, so you can come here." My mother died in October, We spent the Holiday with my grieving Father.

All time best comment, I have fraternal twins. My son was born with red hair, his twin sister had no hair. One of my BILs is a redhead, MIL decided that since twin daughter did not look like her brother, she must have a different father. While biologically possible, it was not the case and my husband is indeed the father of both twins. She has made a point at every holiday giving twin daughter an "inferior" gift for all holidays because she still believes she is not her biological granddaughter. The twins are 19 and she is still holding on to her belief. Cuckoo! ETA : Twin daughter has lovely Auburn hair now.

Last edited by atrianglepi; 07-31-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-31-2013, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrianglepi View Post
My in-laws are CRAZY. My husband wants me to write a book on some of their comments, criticisms, etc. there are too many to list, but some of my favorites:When we were dating back in college, I was telling a story about a horrible car accident that my sister and I were in during High School. Future FIL says to me, " too bad you didn't die because then you would have never met son's name.

When my mother was dying of cancer, we had planned to spend Thanksgiving with her and my dad. My MIL said " I wish your mother would hurry up and die, so you can come here." My mother died in October, We spent the Holiday with my grieving Father.

All time best comment, I have fraternal twins. My son was born with red hair, his twin sister had no hair. One of my BILs is a redhead, MIL decided that since twin daughter did not look like her brother, she must have a different father. While biologically possible, it was not the case and my husband is indeed the father of both twins. She has made a point at every holiday giving twin daughter an "inferior" gift for all holidays because she still believes she is not her biological granddaughter. The twins are 19 and she is still holding on to her belief. Cuckoo! ETA : Twin daughter has lovely Auburn hair now.
What the...? There are no words to respond to this craziness.

I'm going to visit the MIL this weekend and wish I could get out of it. I'm hoping this visit will be better than the others, but am not counting on it. However, compared to all the stories here, I have nothing to complain about.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 07-31-2013, 06:06 PM

I am all for keeping it ladylike, but I would have been in jail if someone had said that about my mom.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:25 PM

My mother-in-law REALLY needs to find some ways to occupy her time now that she is retired---volunteer work, paid part-time work, a hobby, a boyfriend, something. She is driving us nuts with her 4 time a week unannounced visits and poopy attitude when we are busy when she shows up. She has trouble with the fact we have lives and responsibilities and are not always able to entertain her bored ass. We told her before she retired she needed to have a plan on what to do with her time. Father-in-law passed away in 2010.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Both my inlaws have since passed away but my MIL was a piece of work. I guess a constant cocktail of prescription meds chased by alcohol all day long will do that to you.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, first grandchild on both sides and first girl on my husband's side in 5 generations, my MIL was very excited. Darling Debbie was induced early due to some minor complications and then sent home with the bililights due to jaundice. MIL was adamant that we bring Darling Debbie to see her immediately (5 hrs away). My husband said "no, mom, you come here". That ticked her off to no end. She called my work, talked to my co-workers, and asked why I was being so selfish. She called my husband one day and told him she was going to send me a dozen dead roses because I was such a selfish you know what. My husband proceeded to have quite the telephone conversation with her and finally hung up on her. When he hung up he said "If Darling Debbie ever talks to us the way I just talked to my mother I'll be disappointed but damn...she's crazy."

I just hope that crazy isn't genetic.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I am all for keeping it ladylike, but I would have been in jail if someone had said that about my mom.
I'd probably been in the cell next to you. My heart goes out to each and every one of you with in-law hell stories. I'm afraid I can't tell a one, but I have an idea that Mr. AOIIalum probably could tell a few about my terribly overprotective daddy.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Found out last night that SIL is moving to where MIL lives with her boyfriend. We are leaving to visit MIL and the grandparents today. It was going to be a long visit before this news. Now it is going to be a constant "why aren't you moving here? It's her isn't it?" trip. I honestly can't see anything to redeem this trip.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 01-21-2014, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

My in-laws are miserable, awful people. They live 800 miles from us and it isn't far enough. They decided to rent a condo four hours away from us, and have us come over for the weekend (last weekend). By the time we got there they had a list of complaints of what was wrong with the condo they were going to submit. Including that the chandelier needed to be re-wired because they didn't like that you had to plug it in to turn it on (as opposed to a switch). They were actually upset that the condo owners didn't arrange to have it done when they first complained. All they do is complain..

They are coming to look at our new house tomorrow. We are still very much working on it, but I'm sure they will have a list of things that we have done wrong or aren't up to their standards. I can't wait... lol They also made a point of saying "I can't wait to see what Adam has done to the house." I pointed out that I have worked really hard on it as well. His mom actually said to me "Well he's done all the manual labor." Really? Because I was on my damn hands and knees for days pulling up flooring. I also did the majority of unpacking, and was taking care of my mom who had just had hip replacement surgery. And when they left, she made of point to say "It was so good to see you, Adam." OMG I really might ask them to leave. I can't believe they are spending the night.

One of these days I'm really going to blow up on them. Seriously. Blow. Up.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_gphib View Post
My in-laws are miserable, awful people. They live 800 miles from us and it isn't far enough. They decided to rent a condo four hours away from us, and have us come over for the weekend (last weekend). By the time we got there they had a list of complaints of what was wrong with the condo they were going to submit. Including that the chandelier needed to be re-wired because they didn't like that you had to plug it in to turn it on (as opposed to a switch). They were actually upset that the condo owners didn't arrange to have it done when they first complained. All they do is complain..

They are coming to look at our new house tomorrow. We are still very much working on it, but I'm sure they will have a list of things that we have done wrong or aren't up to their standards. I can't wait... lol They also made a point of saying "I can't wait to see what Adam has done to the house." I pointed out that I have worked really hard on it as well. His mom actually said to me "Well he's done all the manual labor." Really? Because I was on my damn hands and knees for days pulling up flooring. I also did the majority of unpacking, and was taking care of my mom who had just had hip replacement surgery. And when they left, she made of point to say "It was so good to see you, Adam." OMG I really might ask them to leave. I can't believe they are spending the night.

One of these days I'm really going to blow up on them. Seriously. Blow. Up.
If you blow up my MIL, I'll take care of yours.

You made me laugh. Glad I'm not the only one.

My MIL was here this weekend and it's like being dipped in a mild acid. It doesn't hurt too much at first, but eventually she just takes all your skin off.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
If you blow up my MIL, I'll take care of yours.
New movie idea! "Throw Momma-In-Law From The Train"
Old 01-21-2014, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
New movie idea! "Throw Momma-In-Law From The Train"
How about "Throw Momma-In-Law From The Train and RUN HER OVER MANY TIMES!" LOL

Old 01-21-2014, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrianglepi View Post

You win the crazy Olympics!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

My dad's wife is like that and I have developed some methods of coping with it. First- I "say" whatever I want to her, in my head. So I just think the really nasty come backs. Second- I remind myself that it must feel miserable to be so unhappy and critical all the time. Third- I put on my "teflon skin" and just ignore most of what she says.

People can only get to you if you let them. Don't let her.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Apparently my in-laws now officially blame me for their son not coming to see them. Seriously, they didn't get the hint that the last time he went up there, he stayed 3 days and still tried to get an earlier flight out?

And his brother apparently helped this theory by telling them that my hubby isn't coming up to see his mom for her 70th birthday because we have my high school reunion (20th!). While that's part of it, it may also be in part because when hubby asked his mother what her plans were for her birthday she said all she wanted to do was get drunk.

They think that because they drink wine they are sophisticated. Hubby and I don't drink at all--and we are looked down upon for that. :-P

Old 03-27-2014, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Wow! Suddenly, my in-laws are up for sainthood! But serious, atrianglepi, yours take the cake. My most sincere sympathy!