GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,493
2 members and 1,491 guests
MethrenLusia, PGD-GRAD

Old 10-08-2013, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Regardless of the content (whatever its intention), I think it is sad that his brothers leaked this or showed other people, especially since it can get him and more importantly their chapter in lots of trouble. What happened to keeping things between brothers? I know that isn't the issue at hand, but that's always the first thing that pops into my mind when I see stuff like this.
Um, because he's essentially promoting rape, and maybe his brothers aren't cool with that?

Just a thought.

Besides, all it takes is one brother to show it to a friend, then the friend shows it to another friend, that friend is disgusted by it, he shows it to a member of another fraternity, that fraternity leaks it to everyone...

You get the idea.

Don't put in writing (and send out in a mass email) something you wouldn't want the whole world to see.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 10-08-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-08-2013, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

My work computer won't let me go to TFM.
Huffington Post picked up the story too: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4063101.html

This Phi Kappa Tau chapter has a response on their website: http://gtphitau.org/

Side note: Georgia Tech is a university that attracts a large percentage of males due to it's Top 5 Engineering College. The ratio of men to women is about 5 males to every 1 female student. (I am, in no way, defending his behavior. Just adding the info as it may have factored into his mindset.)
Living in Atlanta for 10+ years, I always thought the GA Tech ratio was so strange, considering the single female to single male ratio for the city of Atlanta is the reverse -- 5 single women to every 1 single guy.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Um, because he's essentially promoting rape, and maybe his brothers aren't cool with that?

Just a thought.

Besides, all it takes is one brother to show it to a friend, then the friend shows it to another friend, that friend is disgusted by it, he shows it to a member of another fraternity, that fraternity leaks it to everyone...

You get the idea.
I don't disagree on how it could have possibly gotten out. But I can't agree with saying its okay to leak it and get your brother in trouble (nationally) because 'his brothers aren't cool with that'.

I'm not saying what he wrote is okay. But if you have a problem with something your brother did, you deal with it internally and not share it with the world. We are suppose to have our brother's back, and help him see the wrong and make him a better person afterwards. I'm just saying showing it to non-brothers is very unbrotherly. Maybe some of us take our oaths a little too seriously...
Old 10-08-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post

Side note: Georgia Tech is a university that attracts a large percentage of males due to it's Top 5 Engineering College. The ratio of men to women is about 5 males to every 1 female student.
I live in Atlanta and have heard this little saying about Georgia Tech from numerous female alumni of the school, "The odds are good, but the goods are odd." lol....my husband got his doctorate from Tech so this makes me laugh.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAngel View Post
I live in Atlanta and have heard this little saying about Georgia Tech from numerous female alumni of the school, "The odds are good, but the goods are odd." lol....my husband got his doctorate from Tech so this makes me laugh.
I had a student that transferred from there and I asked her why she transferred. She just said "I thought I could handle being that popular, and I just couldn't and still get any work done."
Old 10-08-2013, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Regardless of the content (whatever its intention), I think it is sad that his brothers leaked this or showed other people, especially since it can get him and more importantly their chapter in lots of trouble. What happened to keeping things between brothers? I know that isn't the issue at hand, but that's always the first thing that pops into my mind when I see stuff like this.
Who says his brothers leaked it?

Old 10-08-2013, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Evidently he left is email open/logged in on a library computer where someone read the email. I also doubt that it was intended as a poor attempt at satire sadly.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
Evidently he left is email open/logged in on a library computer where someone read the email. I also doubt that it was intended as a poor attempt at satire sadly.
If true, then I take back my opinion on this particular matter. Not others, though.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Okay, it definitely objectifies women, but it definitely does not promote rape. It, in fact, tastelessly says, no raping. I'm not saying it was a great idea, but let's not read in things which aren't there.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-08-2013, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Side note: Georgia Tech is a university that attracts a large percentage of males due to it's Top 5 Engineering College. The ratio of men to women is about 5 males to every 1 female student. (I am, in no way, defending his behavior. Just adding the info as it may have factored into his mindset.)
Living in Atlanta for 10+ years, I always thought the GA Tech ratio was so strange, considering the single female to single male ratio for the city of Atlanta is the reverse -- 5 single women to every 1 single guy.
The Georgia Tech ratio is about 3:1, not 5:1. However, I do agree that it could've factored into his mindset.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Okay, it definitely objectifies women, but it definitely does not promote rape. It, in fact, tastelessly says, no raping. I'm not saying it was a great idea, but let's not read in things which aren't there.
Referring to women as "rapebait" doesn't promote rape?
Old 10-08-2013, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

When you have to explicitly tell your brothers not to rape, there might be a culture problem. Isn't that just a given for most people

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdee View Post
He did himself in by signing off with "in luring rapebait," which overrode his earlier all caps instructions not to rape. That signature was all the media needed to label this the "rape email" and use it in their headlines.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Referring to women as "rapebait" doesn't promote rape?
Exactly. Thank you.

This is like OJ Simpson saying he didn't kill anyone, then writing a book called 'If I Did It.' Guess what.. you're going to make yourself look guilty, even if you aren't. And yes, it sounds like he's promoting rape. And even if he isn't I'm obviously not the only person who interpreted it that way.

Referring to women as "rapebait" and sending an email to all of your friends calling them that is a quick way to get people to assume you're a rapist, or are at least ok with it. And a step-by-step instruction manual to getting "rapebait" into bed sounds to me like you're encouraging other people to do the same.

Be smarter, people. Seriously.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 10-08-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAuburnMom View Post
When you have to explicitly tell your brothers not to rape, there might be a culture problem. Isn't that just a given for most people
Just to clarify, I don't believe it's a culture problem with the school. That particular fraternity, ehhhhh, possibly, I can't attest positively in one direction or another. But to lump all of the fraternities and sororities there makes the bad PR even worse for the rest of the greek system.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
Just to clarify, I don't believe it's a culture problem with the school. That particular fraternity, ehhhhh, possibly, I can't attest positively in one direction or another. But to lump all of the fraternities and sororities there makes the bad PR even worse for the rest of the greek system.
Agreed.

And there's a good chance it's not even a problem among this fraternity, but rather, just this one member. After all, he did have to teach his chapter that dancing is fun and making out is "tongue on tongue"

@~/~~~~