GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,163
1 members and 2,162 guests
No Members online

Old 11-11-2006, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

The 11 Hr of the 11 day of the 11th Month-Veterans Day

To all those who have served their Country, both abroad and at home, we say Thanks.
http://mrmom.amaonline.com/special/womenareveterans.htm
http://mrmom.amaonline.com/veteran.htm
http://mrmom.amaonline.com/special/whatisavet.htm
http://www1.va.gov/opa/vetsday/
http://www.history.com/minisite.do?content_type=mini_home&mini_id=1085
http://members.aol.com/veterans/warlib69.htm
http://www.military.com/Content/MoreContent1/0,,veteransday,00.html?ESRC=dod.nl
http://www.greatwar.nl/
http://www.dreamwater.com/raferty/veterans.html

Jonathan A. Cohen
O Valiant Hearts
“ O valiant hearts who to your glory came

through dust of conflict and through battle flame;
tranquil you lie, your knightly virtue proved,
your memory hallowed in the land you loved.

Proudly you gathered, rank on rank, to war
as who had heard God's message from afar;
all you had hoped for, all you had, you gave,
to save mankind — yourselves you scorned to save.”
Taken from:
John Stanhope Arkwright’s hymn “O Valiant Hearts”.

And Happy Birthday to the USMC!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-15-2006, 01:55 AM
GreekChat Member

We call it remembrance day in the UK. It's more about remembering those who gave their lives for our country. We do honour the veterans too, but it's more about making sure no one is forgotten.
If I hadn't been asleep at 11am I would have paid my respects properly.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 11-15-2006, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Yeah... it's called Remembrance Day pretty much through-out the Commonwealth it is definitely more focused on remembering the terrible cost of war so that it doesn't happen again (or isn't entered into so lightly) - certainly not the time for nationalistic, overly-patriotic, or pro-war sentiments... (as our PM learned when comparing the War on Terror to the Great War)

See my post in Greek Life for a specific Greek connection to Remembrance Day services...

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 11-15-2006, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACooper View Post
Yeah... it is definitely more focused on remembering the terrible cost of war so that it doesn't happen again (or isn't entered into so lightly) - certainly not the time for nationalistic, overly-patriotic, or pro-war sentiments... (as our PM learned when comparing the War on Terror to the Great War)

See my post in Greek Life for a specific Greek connection to Remembrance Day services...

some one really did that? I hate it when the chief politicians talk, they always that just....
Old 11-15-2006, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU OX Alum View Post
some one really did that? I hate it when the chief politicians talk, they always that just....
Yeah... well PM Harper is our own little neo-con... so he is understandably a bit dense. The veterans, chief padre, military, and media didn't exactly react well - but for the most part they ignored it in favour of focusing on the services and veterans... along with talk of a full state funeral for the last Great War vet when he passes (Canada has 3 left)

Old 11-15-2006, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur532 View Post
We call it remembrance day in the UK. It's more about remembering those who gave their lives for our country. We do honour the veterans too, but it's more about making sure no one is forgotten.
If I hadn't been asleep at 11am I would have paid my respects properly.
I think it's a little different in the States -- we have Memorial Day in May for remembering those who lost their lives in war, so Veterans' Day is as much about the living vets as those who died. It's not at all a pro-war day (or shouldn't be), but is considered more of a day to stop and say "Thank you."

We observed the 11th hour at Arlington National Cemetery.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I think it's a little different in the States -- we have Memorial Day in May for remembering those who lost their lives in war, so Veterans' Day is as much about the living vets as those who died. It's not at all a pro-war day (or shouldn't be), but is considered more of a day to stop and say "Thank you."

We observed the 11th hour at Arlington National Cemetery.
Having attened services in the US, UK, and Canada I can say that there is a definite difference between the US Memorial Day & Veteran's Day services and public attitude, when compared to Remembrance Day services...

For one take Veteran's Day and Memorial Day and wrap it into one day, shift the focus to that of akin to a national service for the fallen (in theory conducted by the Anglican church), remove any semblance of a holiday (because it's not in most Commonwealth countries) from the day, and you get the Remembrance Day 'vibe' - a day that literally is a day for remembrance and a national outpouring of grief for the dead and the horror of war... it's not uncommon at all to see people weeping (civilians, veterans, and military) at the services.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
it's not uncommon at all to see people weeping (civilians, veterans, and military) at the services.
That's not so uncommon at a lot of US services either. My hometown has big memorials for WWI, WWII, the Korean War and Vietnam, and some of my earliest memories are of seeing grown men crying as the tributes were given.

Also, I'm not sure if you were taking a not-so-subtle dig at the U.S., but I wouldn't characterize our rememberance activities as "overly-patriotic" or "nationalistic."

Personally, I made sure to call my father (a Vietnam vet), and remembered my grandfathers, both of whom were WWII vets.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I wasn't making a "dig" at the US service - it's just by comparison is more patriotic/nationalistic in flavour...

How to explain.... hmmm - okay for example the US service seems to be strictly focused on US personnel and American casualties - whereas the Remembrance Day service not only focuses say on Canadian personnel and casualties but on also on the 'British Empire/Commonwealth', Allies and even to some extent the 'enemy'.

One other signifcant difference is the fact that it is highly frowned upon for the political leader to give any political speaches.... or to participate in any greater capacity than laying a wreath - and finally there are a lot less national flags around at the service.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Having attened services in the US, UK, and Canada I can say that there is a definite difference between the US Memorial Day & Veteran's Day services and public attitude, when compared to Remembrance Day services...

For one take Veteran's Day and Memorial Day and wrap it into one day, shift the focus to that of akin to a national service for the fallen (in theory conducted by the Anglican church), remove any semblance of a holiday (because it's not in most Commonwealth countries) from the day, and you get the Remembrance Day 'vibe' - a day that literally is a day for remembrance and a national outpouring of grief for the dead and the horror of war... it's not uncommon at all to see people weeping (civilians, veterans, and military) at the services.
It IS a holiday in Alberta and kids get the day off school in BC (not sure if it is a full-fledged holiday there). In Ontario, CIS private schools seem to schedule their half-term weekends around Remembrance Day.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taualumna View Post
It IS a holiday in Alberta and kids get the day off school in BC (not sure if it is a full-fledged holiday there). In Ontario, CIS private schools seem to schedule their half-term weekends around Remembrance Day.
Yes... it's a government/civil-service holiday federally... and every year the concept of making it a national holiday is brought up - but the idea of it being a holiday is strongly opposed by the Legion and other veteran's associations, and it (a holiday) polls badly amongst senior citizens (up to 80% opposed).

I gotta say I've come around the thinking that it shouldn't be a holiday - simply because people treat it as a holiday and not as a day of remembrance... it's kinda funny that conservative Alberta and hippy BC both have the most complaints by the Legion over the lack of attendance at ceremonies (yes even worse than Quebec).

Old 11-21-2006, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Yes... it's a government/civil-service holiday federally... and every year the concept of making it a national holiday is brought up - but the idea of it being a holiday is strongly opposed by the Legion and other veteran's associations, and it (a holiday) polls badly amongst senior citizens (up to 80% opposed).

I gotta say I've come around the thinking that it shouldn't be a holiday - simply because people treat it as a holiday and not as a day of remembrance... it's kinda funny that conservative Alberta and hippy BC both have the most complaints by the Legion over the lack of attendance at ceremonies (yes even worse than Quebec).

I believe it used to be a national holiday, but that was the reason it was changed. No one was showing up for the ceremonies.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Pi Phi View Post
I believe it used to be a national holiday, but that was the reason it was changed. No one was showing up for the ceremonies.
That's kind of sad - people have always shown up for the ceremonies where I've lived, even with it being a holiday.