GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,141
1 members and 1,140 guests
3DGator

Old 12-22-2002, 03:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GreekSCU
Serenade songs!

Whats up everyone...

My questions are these:

Does your chapter have any traditional serenade songs? What are they/ how do they go? Also, do you have any cool ways of doing your serenades?
Old 12-22-2002, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

For our serenade we ALWAYS do our sweetheart song (of course...) and this semester we did another more traditional Phi Sig song, then we usually sing a more modern song and change the words around... the one we did this year all the guys really liked! Since my school doesn't have houses or anything we have to go serenade the guys before their meetings. We do serenade during our red rose week (or I week) and the new members stand infront and introduce themselves. This year all the power on campus went out right before we went to our first Fraternity... so we sang to them outside the student union building with everyone else who had just gotten evacuated watching..... it was good times... for those of you who are curious here are the lyrics to "ain't no frat boy fine" it's to the tune of ain't no mountain high enough...

Listen baby....
Ain't no frat boy fine ain't no IQ low ain't no female bringt enough baby...
no matter where you are no matter how far
don't worry baby just call the phi sigs
we'll be there in a hurry you dont' have to worry

cause baby there ain't no frat boy fine enough ain't no IQ low enough ain't no female bright enough to keep us from getting to you babe

Phi Sig you're alive down in our hearts from you we will never part
if you ever need a helping hand we'll be there in a hurry just as fast we can
(Chorus)
Old 12-22-2002, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Winterbloom
SAI doesn't serenade, per se. We'll sing our Chorale in a pinch.

But I have an abiding soft spot in my heart for the Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia's "Serenade to a Girl at Evening". Every year, for as long as I can remember, our chapter's MITs would be serenaded by the boys, and we'd all receive the treat at our joint formal. I love the boys very much, and seeing them on one knee singing to us. My young man is getting ready to pledge, and I'm heartbroken that I'll be out of the country when he sings his first serenade. But c'est la vie.

~Emma
Old 12-22-2002, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Winterbloom
SAI doesn't serenade, per se. We'll sing our Chorale in a pinch.

But I have an abiding soft spot in my heart for the Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia's "Serenade to a Girl at Evening". Every year, for as long as I can remember, our chapter's MITs would be serenaded by the boys, and we'd all receive the treat at our joint formal. I love the boys very much, and seeing them on one knee singing to us. My young man is getting ready to pledge, and I'm heartbroken that I'll be out of the country when he sings his first serenade. But c'est la vie.

~Emma
Sinfonias are AMAZING at serenading. They always sing that to us when we going serenading with our NMs and they are so so good!
Old 12-22-2002, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to kateshort Send a message via AIM to kateshort Send a message via Yahoo to kateshort
Quote:
Originally posted by Winterbloom
But I have an abiding soft spot in my heart for the Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia's "Serenade to a Girl at Evening".
*swooooooon* That, followed by "Little 'Lize" (aka "Honey") and I'd just *melt*.

Hail Sinfonia!
Old 12-22-2002, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

This year the Pi Kappa Alpha boys serenaded us right before their pledge auction....way to make those girls wanna go!
Old 12-22-2002, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GreekSCU
Our song usually changes depending on which sorority we are serenading, but we have a song that we sing every time as well.

Our usual song is Billy Joel's "For the Longest Time".

Some of the other songs we serenade with:
Delta Gamma Girls (California Girls) by the Beach Boys for the DG's, and of course You've Lost That Loving Feeling by the Righteous Brothers.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to CanadianTeke
We use the Rightous Brothers "You've lost that loving feeling" it seems to work well.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Beta Theta Pi is known as the singing fraternity, and our pledge manual says that no other national GLO makes as much use of song in ritual as we do...whether that's true I don't know, but there is a lot of singing .

Anyways we have about five songs that we use for serenades. Two are individual to our chapter: Honey and Froggy. No other chapter of Beta uses these. The other three are Beta songs that are just appropriate for serenades: I took my girl out walking, Beta Lullaby, and Ti De I Di O

Lyrics to Honey

Well Honey, honey, bless your heart,
youre the honey that I love so well
I've done been true sweetheart to you
You're the honey that I love so well

2nd verse is similar but still different, but utilizes melodies and I don't feel like writing out the lyrics to the various parts.

Lyrics to Froggy:
A little frog sat in a well, in a well
in which he thought he'd like to dwell, like to dwell

He took some water from the, from the brim
and made a Beta out of him

And all the froggies gathered round, gathered round
and all their secrets did expound, did expound

They told of Wooglin and his, and his dog
a K-9 fat as any hog

And from this musty well he sprang, well he sprang
And all night long this song he sang, song he sang

He sang an Alpha tau am, tau am I, in dear old Beta theta Pi x2

I personally like the fact that we don't use more modern songs, or worry about changing the lyrics. It definetly makes us unique on campus.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigma3
Seranades

While our chapter doesn't seranade anyone, the Alpha Sigma Phi new members seranade us each semester. They'ce used, I Want to Grow Old with You, Best I Ever Had, and Good Morning Beautiful, as well as their sweetheart song. There are soem others they used, but I can't remember them.

Courtney
Old 12-23-2002, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to White_Chocolate
Pikes and TKEs serenaded the new girls at the Bid Day party we had. As usual, the PIKES sang 'you've lost that loving feeling' and they were all dressed up, it only made it seem more romantic. i wanted to marry the pledges right there.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

We used to serenade with some nice Chi O songs. We never changed words to popular songs or anything. We all wore black and had candles. It was quite pretty.

I had a friend in another house and they changed words and most of them were "risque" and half the people couldn't remember the words and they were always laughing. The guys always told us they liked ours much more because we sounded good and we took it seriously.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tommi026
yay for serenades!!!

we had the best serenade last homecoming!!!
sig ep were our partners and we went over to their house and sang "baby got back" i can remember all of it but the way we changed the words was hularious.... just about as funny as seeing our chapter (150+) trying to keep up w/the rapping.

another one we did was for our date function... we used that song from ghostbusters, i just remember the "i aint fraid of no ghosts" part. it was around halloween and we were going to halloween horror nights, so it was perfect!
Old 12-24-2002, 12:26 AM

We had some great original songs. I'm searching for my songbook. The memory fails me.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 12-25-2002, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tommi026
anyone have any good ideas for sorority serenades? im the new music chair, so im always looking for ideas.... but it seems like sorority serenades are something not everyone does!

anyone done anything cute lately?