GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,357
2 members and 1,355 guests
3DGator, LaneSig

Old 08-13-2011, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush Event Ideas?

Hi everyone. So I'm in the rush chair this year and all the pressure is literally on me. After two years we've gone from having 30 sisters to 5 because a lot of them graduated. If we don't raise our numbers then it's bye-bye for us and I'm not ready to let my ZDP go.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with events. It's a dry rush. I can only think of two events that went really well with our PNMs though. A kareoke/talent night, and a 'hand-painted martini/margarita glasses'. It's becoming really stressful.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-14-2011, 12:08 PM

If your membership has decreased that much, "events" aren't going to help you. You basically need to go out and find women who want to help you rebuild the sorority which is a lot different than plain old rushing. You need women who want YOUR sorority, not A sorority.

For starters, update your website and correct the misspellings and grammar goofs (there are quite a few).

Have every member (and alumna) make a list of at least 10 women she thinks would be a great addition to the sorority. Invite those women to the house just to hang out and get to know the sisters and what the sorority is about. Let them know that they'll be able to take on leadership roles almost immediately. If they don't want to do that, they most likely aren't what you need at this time.

Wear letters everywhere. Be INVOLVED in campus activities outside of your sorority (every member should be in at least one activity other than the sorority. Off campus jobs don't count.). Cultivate good relationships with other Greeks.

Most importantly, have (for lack of a better thing to call it) a succession plan. Don't ever look around again and realize in April that you're losing 3/4 of your sorority to graduation. Even if the other sororities don't have two pledge classes a year, you probably should.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-14-2011, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If your membership has decreased that much, "events" aren't going to help you. You basically need to go out and find women who want to help you rebuild the sorority which is a lot different than plain old rushing. You need women who want YOUR sorority, not A sorority.

For starters, update your website and correct the misspellings and grammar goofs (there are quite a few).

Have every member (and alumna) make a list of at least 10 women she thinks would be a great addition to the sorority. Invite those women to the house just to hang out and get to know the sisters and what the sorority is about. Let them know that they'll be able to take on leadership roles almost immediately. If they don't want to do that, they most likely aren't what you need at this time.

Wear letters everywhere. Be INVOLVED in campus activities outside of your sorority (every member should be in at least one activity other than the sorority. Off campus jobs don't count.). Cultivate good relationships with other Greeks.

Most importantly, have (for lack of a better thing to call it) a succession plan. Don't ever look around again and realize in April that you're losing 3/4 of your sorority to graduation. Even if the other sororities don't have two pledge classes a year, you probably should.

Hope this helps!
As usual, great advice, but especially the bolded should not be forgotten once the numbers improve.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, it's just that a lot of people tear down our flyers or write really nasty stuff on them. Can they even do that? We work really hard but it's like the rules are always being changed on us. We couldn't even have our philanthropy in the fall this past year because they pushed rush back two weeks so that bid day would fall on our event. T_T It's getting frustrating and I have a feeling this year may be worse for us.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:12 PM

Don't flyer. Don't chalk. Again, they only bring in people who want A sorority, not YOUR sorority - and apparently, also leave you open to abuse. They are not methods that are going to help you at this point in time.

If you want to start a facebook group for prospective members, that's fine, but make it private - i.e. people have to be approved by a sister/moderator to join so you don't get rude posts or spam.

I highly doubt that they pushed bid day back just to screw you guys - more likely it had to do with football or something. Just make it so that your event falls later in the semester.