GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,473
1 members and 2,472 guests
adanshulze9637

Old 04-08-2007, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Can engaged/ married veterans rush???

Here's my question-and I hope it belongs in this thread-if not, then I apologize. I'm in an NPC sorority. I absolutely love it and am ready to graduate. My boyfriend, who is active navy, will be getting out of the Navy this june. He will be 25 this summer. By the time he is ready to finish at a major university (he is currently taking online courses at a major BIG TEN university and he may transfer elsewhere after he receives his Associate's from this place), he will be about 26 and engaged (he has the ring-trust me I know)...I've been telling him how great greek life is and he has helped my sorority do various philanthropy projects (he gets along w/ the girls great) and he loves it. We have talked about him joining a national fraternity (IFC) because it's a great way to make connections since he wants to go to Medical School...and he can stay active and really enjoy the college life!!! My question is this: At the age of about 26 (and engaged/ married), would a fraternity even consider him or are there rules against a guy who is engaged (or) married? I realize that the age may not be a big deal but, if we get engaged soon and married by next summer (that is our plan), will he be turned away? I really want to know what fraternities-IF ANY, would consider him because we are both really excited about this and I LOVE GREEK LIFE!!! Please, any fraternity member giving advice would be GREAT because he is an intelligent guy who has been to IRAQ TWICE as a Medic (so, it's an issue of military and age)....If your fraternity does not have a specific rule against that and you think he would be considered-please name your fraternity so we can make a list...Thanx everyone-any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 04-08-2007, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Here's my question-and I hope it belongs in this thread-if not, then I apologize. I'm in an NPC sorority. I absolutely love it and am ready to graduate. My boyfriend, who is active navy, will be getting out of the Navy this june. He will be 25 this summer. By the time he is ready to finish at a major university (he is currently taking online courses at a major BIG TEN university and he may transfer elsewhere after he receives his Associate's from this place), he will be about 26 and engaged (he has the ring-trust me I know)...I've been telling him how great greek life is and he has helped my sorority do various philanthropy projects (he gets along w/ the girls great) and he loves it. We have talked about him joining a national fraternity (IFC) because it's a great way to make connections since he wants to go to Medical School...and he can stay active and really enjoy the college life!!! My question is this: At the age of about 26 (and engaged/ married), would a fraternity even consider him or are there rules against a guy who is engaged (or) married? I realize that the age may not be a big deal but, if we get engaged soon and married by next summer (that is our plan), will he be turned away? I really want to know what fraternities-IF ANY, would consider him because we are both really excited about this and I LOVE GREEK LIFE!!! Please, any fraternity member giving advice would be GREAT because he is an intelligent guy who has been to IRAQ TWICE as a Medic (so, it's an issue of military and age)....If your fraternity does not have a specific rule against that and you think he would be considered-please name your fraternity so we can make a list...Thanx everyone-any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
I'm not aware of any IFC/NIC fraternity that has any specific rule regarding age or marital status.

Generally speaking, a concern most chapters may have is how involved (dedicated) he will be with the chapter. How willing and able will he be to meet the obligations of being a member. As such, if a chapter feels he is worthy of a bid - i.e. likes him and feels he will meet the obligations of being a member etc. - they will extend him a bid. However, it will depend on the specific campus culture as well as the culture of each specific chapter as to how his age and marital status might affect him receiving a bid.

Age and marital status will most likely be an issue with most chapters that are comprised of "traditional" college students. Those whose members are most likely single and range in age from 18 to 22 years. Few chapters are presented with one of these "issues" (age and marital status) much less both. And as such, they might not be able to relate to him - as a "non-traditional" student - and decide not to extend him a bid.

But again, it doesn't mean he won't receive a bid. The IFC/NIC does not have a quota or total. Thus a chapter would not be giving up a spot if they were to extend him a bid. I would venture to guess that for many chapters, his service and maturity will be considered a plus. As for him being married, again, that would depend more on the culture of the chapter. The bottom line is that it will come down to if a chapter can relate to him as a brother.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I know my house just bid a guy who has been married already. He's a brother, and what it comes down to is his dedication and character. Both of which are strong.
Currently we have a brother who just got engaged, we're not shunning him. I am certain that if your guy has the right reasons, he will be able to find a house that fits him perfectly. Sometimes, its not all about age, its about heart.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

There are not any in stone rules in all or most of the NIC GLOs.

The whole idea is that someone who joins will be able to spend time working with the Chapter and contribuating.

That would be the main question. Can he? Will he and would you be uset about time with out him?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-20-2007, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my chapter's founding fathers was a 37 year old Navy Vet, he was a great guy and we were all very sad when he flunked out. He served long enough to get his pension and therefore wasn't really motivated to do well in school and considering his age, it was hard for us to "make" him study. I guess that's one downside of having an older brother is that sometimes they don't think the rules apply to them.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Depends on the chapter and school.

If he is cool and people like him they shouldn't have a problem.

A lot of time resume factors are used to eliminate someone people just don't like that much or are considered marginal for whatever reason . . Fraternities don't have upper limts to membership so there is no space problem.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my pledge brothers is a vet and married, and we had nothing wrong with it, he was 25 and it brings a different perspective and all of that to my Fraternity. I don't see many organizations would have a problem with it. There are a lot of Greeks in the military and it works out well.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Little View Post
I have a similar question. I'm 24 yrs. old and married, but want to join a sorority. Will I be able to join?
1. NO ONE KNOWS HERE.
2. This is Fraternity recruitment forum
3. Use the SEARCH button
4. Check the SORORITY RECRUITMENT forum.
5. Read.
6. Visit your campus Greek Life office and ask them.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Little View Post
I have a similar question. I'm 24 yrs. old and married, but want to join a sorority. Will I be able to join?
Your question is not similar. Whether or not you would be eligible to join (or be a desireable potential for) AKA has absolutely nothing to do with married veterans rushing IFC fraternities.

To be honest, you're an idiot, and although it's not my place to speak on AKA's member intake, I hope you fail.

Last edited by agzg; 11-24-2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: LOL at "desable"
Old 11-24-2009, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
I hope you fail.
LOL

Old 11-24-2009, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post