GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,071
1 members and 1,070 guests
No Members online

Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Oklahoma State University Fall 2012 Recruitment

Oklahoma State University Fall Recruitment

http://union.okstate.edu/panhellenic/FFRecruitment.htm

To register for fall recruitment, click here:
https://secureapp.icsrecruiter.com/I...spx?UID=OKSTUN

“Below is the Tentative 2012 Schedule"

Sun, Aug. 5, 2012*** Check-In and Event Round One (Open House Day 1)
Mon, Aug. 6, 2012*** Event Round One (Open House Day 2)
Tues, Aug. 7, 2012*** Event Round One (House Tour/Philanthropy Day 1)
Wed, Aug. 8, 2012*** Event Round Two (House Tour/Philanthroy Day 2)
Thurs, Aug. 9, 2012*** Event Round Three (Skit Round)
Fri, Aug. 10, 2012*** Event Round Four (Preference Round)
Sat, Aug. 11, 2012*** Bid Day

Last edited by wcjane; 06-28-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Removed section about recs
Old 06-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcjane View Post
Oklahoma State University Fall Recruitment

http://union.okstate.edu/panhellenic/FFRecruitment.htm

To register for fall recruitment, click here:
https://secureapp.icsrecruiter.com/I...spx?UID=OKSTUN

“Below is the Tentative 2012 Schedule"

Sun, Aug. 5, 2012*** Check-In and Event Round One (Open House Day 1)
Mon, Aug. 6, 2012*** Event Round One (Open House Day 2)
Tues, Aug. 7, 2012*** Event Round One (House Tour/Philanthropy Day 1)
Wed, Aug. 8, 2012*** Event Round Two (House Tour/Philanthroy Day 2)
Thurs, Aug. 9, 2012*** Event Round Three (Skit Round)
Fri, Aug. 10, 2012*** Event Round Four (Preference Round)
Sat, Aug. 11, 2012*** Bid Day

When are recommendation letters due and where do we get recommendation forms?

Recommendations are not mandatory and are the responsibility of the chapter to secure. Not having a recommendation letter for all 11 chapters will in no way negatively affect a woman's recruitment. If a woman knows a sorority alumna, she can ask for a letter of recommendation. There is no special due date for recommendation letters. The earlier they are sent in the better off you will be. However, recommendation letters can be sent in as late as August. If you are an alumna of one of the chapters we have on this campus, or have friends that were, then you are eligible to write a letter of recommendation for a woman going through recruitment. Different chapters have different forms and most can be found on your specific chapter's national webpage. National websites are listed on each chapter's profile page provided; please click the link on the left. Please also note that recommendation letters should be sent directly to the chapter house and NOT to the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Affairs.
Boy, I hate when Panhellenics state that on their webpages. Oklahoma State PNMs, believe that you do not need recommendations AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I searched this website and googled "Oklahoma State University or OSU Greekchat". There's some information about OSU recruitment but not a lot of volume. I've been told from a few alumna that recruitment at OSU is not as competitive as the SEC but it's getting more competitive as PNMs from Texas and other states in the region look to OSU.

I have 90% of my recs, I've had several conversations with different alumnae regarding recruitment, Greek life, etc. I have a well-rounded resume (grades, extracurriculars, leadership, volunteer service) so I feel as prepared as I can be. That said I'm still shaking in my Rainbows just a little. Does anybody have insight into recruitment at OSU?
Old 06-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Many, many sorority chapters at many, many colleges and universities expect to receive recommendations for all the PNMs that will be participating in recruitment-especially formal recruitment. The SEC does not have a monopoly on recommendation expectations, and assuming that since "your"(meaning all PNMs) school is not in the SEC, you don't need to make the effort to get recommendations to each of the sorority chapters at your school, is a risk.

Not receiving a recommendation on a PNM might impact her invitations to the next round of parties. One of the easiest cuts to make after grades, is not having a recommendation on a PNM, especially when a chapter is told by Panhellenic that they must cut "X" amount of PNMs after the first round of parties, when PNMs have had only 15 or 20 minutes to dazzle their recruitment hostesses at each house.

OP, would you consider editing your original post by removing the bolded editing that you did? Some OSU PNMs coming to this site for recruitment info., may see your post and think that the bolded sentences were done by OSU panhellenic.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 06-28-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Boy, I hate when Panhellenics state that on their webpages. Oklahoma State PNMs, believe that you do not need recommendations AT YOUR OWN RISK.
My mom started out reading this forum and told me I needed to read it. We read the recs section and our conversation went like this:

Me: But they said I don't need them
Mom: Yes, you do. Didn't you read the forum?
Me: I read the school's website, it says I don't need them.
Mom: It says "it's not mandatory" so there's an unspoken rule that you probably need them
Me: But... (then a lot of back and forth with my mom)... Ok.

My mom basically said "better to be safe than sorry" and we've been tracking down recs for the last month. At first it's a little intimidating to ask for recs. I've been blown away by how kind and helpful people have been especially to a stranger.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

The majority of Panhellenic women are glad to help and will even hook you up with friends of theirs who are members of other sororities, so don't hesitate to ask if they will write a rec. for you. If they don't think to ask if you have recommendations for each sorority on your campus, you might casually mention to them something to this effect: "Mrs. ____,
Thank you so much for writing a recommendation for me to ABC sorority. Even though I feel especially drawn to ABC because of their_____(philanthrophy, mascot, colors, GPA, Whatever), I have been working on getting recs. for all the sororities at OSU. Would you happen to know any women who are members of DEF, GHI, or KLM?

PS-Your mom is right. Just as Panhellenics cannot refuse a PNM with a 2.0 GPA from participating in recruitment, they are not going to declare that on their websites, due (as we learned a week or so ago on GC) to a NPC unanimous agreement, but those PNMs with a low GPA will have a rough time of it. Panhellenics also cannot make PNMS get recommendations, anymore than they can make a PNM wear tasteful, appropriate clothes each day of recruitment, but again, at a lot of schools, those PNMs without recommendations(or not dressed appropriately) will have a rough time.

I lived in Tulsa, Ok about 17 years ago, and was an advisor to the ZTA chapter at OSU. It was a pretty competitive recruitment back then-I cannot imagine that it has changed, except to have become more competitive, but that is my speculation, not a fact.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 06-28-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
OP, would you consider editing your original post by removing the bolded editing that you did? Some OSU PNMs coming to this site for recruitment info., may see your post and think that the bolded sentences were done by OSU panhellenic.
I copied that directly from the OSU panhellenic website (they bolded it) which is why there was so much debate in the wcjane household initially. I saw your quote of my OP and I have no idea how that was bolded. Note to self becareful with copy and paste.

Last edited by wcjane; 06-28-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Trust me.....you need recs at Oklahoma State U.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
They would have been OK if they would have skipped the second sentence. Saying it won't affect someone's rush is just as much treading on individual groups' membership selection policies/procedures as saying recs are mandatory would be.

They should have started with the first sentence, and then said "HOWEVER, if you do choose to secure your own recs, yadda yadda yadda." I would think that people would assume that the fact they spend a whole paragraph on it means it is something you should do.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I definitely believe you and I removed the "recs" section from my original post.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcjane View Post
I definitely believe you and I removed the "recs" section from my original post.
Sorry if this question was already answered somehwere, but why does panhellenic tell PNM's that rec's are not required when a lot of times they are? This is the case at Alabama as well, I remember at the information session at panhellenic preview weekend they told us that "recs are like extra credit, if you have them great, if not it's fine" It just seems very misleading, especially to PNM's who don't have a lot of prior knowledge about the greek system
Old 06-28-2012, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Second this!

NPC recruitment is essentially like applying for any highly desired/competitive job or college; sure you can apply with the bare minimum of qualifications; but if you want a legitimate chance of getting in you will need to have checked off every item on the list as well as be outstanding. And even then, you're competing against other applicants just as outstanding as you are.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

WCJane, Please let us know how everything works out. Good luck!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGirlPNM View Post
why does panhellenic tell PNM's that rec's are not required when a lot of times they are?
Because Panhellenic can not say for certain what the selection requirements are for each individual GLO. Membership selection is not discussed openly.

And I suppose the phrasing is a result of PC/egalitarian requirement in this day and age

And technically at the end of the day it IS the GLO's responsibility if their policy requires a Rec to bid a PNM. HOWEVER due to the volume of PNMs this is not logistically likely, unless you happened to be the state governor's daughter, or an olympic athlete or some ultra-amazing-once-in-a-generation rush crush. And even then you should probably get your recs in.

Last edited by 28StGreek; 06-28-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: eta
Old 06-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGirlPNM View Post
Sorry if this question was already answered somehwere, but why does panhellenic tell PNM's that rec's are not required when a lot of times they are? This is the case at Alabama as well, I remember at the information session at panhellenic preview weekend they told us that "recs are like extra credit, if you have them great, if not it's fine" It just seems very misleading, especially to PNM's who don't have a lot of prior knowledge about the greek system
Perhaps it is because ultimately each sorority has their own membership criteria and their own rules for membership selection, and Panhellenic cannot encroach on that, and sororities do not have to divulge how they go about choosing their members. And theoretically, Panhellenic does not require recommendations from a PNM for her to participate in recruitment, anymore than it sets a certain GPA to participate. That is each sorority's realm.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 06-28-2012 at 01:47 PM.