GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,548
1 members and 1,547 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-14-2012, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAuburnMom View Post
My daughter's prayers last night were answered. She was proud to accept a bid from Kappa Alpha Theta.
I am so excited to hear about all these new members!!! YEAH! Can't wait to "meet" them all!

Last edited by thetalady; 08-14-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-14-2012, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

AUmom2012 I felt bad for you and your dau all night. Being a past president of a house the matching process is horrifying. It isn't that easy. There are two lists A and B each with the quota number. If your dau didn't get her first choice perhaps they had a lot of legacies or people with rec letters. If they had legacies they go to the top of the list - The bright spot for her to know is that she most likely got her third choice because she was their first choice. However, that doesn't mean that her first choice didn't want her. It is a game of numbers. Although Panhell doesn't like to hear this, as an alum I always tell my friends daughters don't write down a house on your final list if you don't want it - I say give it a go but if she is that unhappy don't go active and go through formal recruitment again next year. I wish I new what house it was so I could give you some better words of wisdom!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by betapin View Post
How things work in your chapter, sorority and campus may not be the standard for all situations. You're also stepping ever so close to talking about membership selection.

Also, would it kill people to type out the word daughter? We chastise the young folks who come here about their poor grammar and text speak. I think the college educated adults should live up to the same standards.

Last edited by Greek_or_Geek?; 08-14-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

One last thing, typically only the Chapter Pres, Recruitment chair and membership chair are the ones to see those lists. The members only see the list of new members right before the bids are handed out. We posted it about 15 minutes to 20 minutes b4 meeting up to congratulate our new members. So if the girls for the 1st choice took her out it was sincere - they may have been as shocked as she was!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAuburnMom View Post
My daughter's prayers last night were answered. She was proud to accept a bid from Kappa Alpha Theta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAUmom View Post
TNauburnmom, Congrats! My daughters prayers were answered too. They are pledge sisters!!!!!p.s. don't let them visit Wrapsody, they will want to buy everything in the store that shows their sorority on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUMom2011 View Post
Congrats to TNauburnmom and YAUmom! My daughter is a Theta at Auburn! She said they had a great group of girls this year, she is so excited!
Welcome to Kappa Alpha Theta Now you are about to embark on a lifelong search for kite jewelry and motifs (seriously! good luck!!!). So pleased that your daughters are happy. And thanks for the heads up on Wrapsody. Just what I needed, another place to spend $$$.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 08-14-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
I apologize. I was just trying to make the mom feel better My daughter was in the same situation!
I can appreciate that but discussing membership selection is not an appropriate way to do so. Like AzTheta said, you need to remove these posts.

Last edited by Greek_or_Geek?; 08-14-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Also, would it kill people to type out the word daughter? We chastise the young folks who come here about their poor grammar and text speak. I think the college educated adults should live up to the same standards.[/QUOTE]

Uhhh was this directed to me? The answer would be no. If I wanted to put her name, I may as well put her SSN and pic up too. Its a large campus, but not that large, she's doesn't need this thread or forum to deal with should she choose to de-pledge or whatever. And I didn't feel like creating a fake name or anything either. Sorry.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Type out the word "daughter."
Not her actual name
I knew what it meant...also know what DD means...don't worry about it!

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 08-14-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedg View Post
Sorry if I missed it somewhere in this thread, but what was quota?
Looks like it was roughly around 60...under RFM "quota" is not really a set number. It's more of a range.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

TNAuburnMom and YAUMom...

As a former member of Grand Council for Theta, I am so thrilled to hear about two new happy Thetas at Auburn! I was involved in the recolonization of that chapter (prior to my council service) and then spent nearly a week there for their first formal recruitment back on campus. It is a great bunch of women!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUmom2012 View Post
Also, would it kill people to type out the word daughter? We chastise the young folks who come here about their poor grammar and text speak. I think the college educated adults should live up to the same standards.

Uhhh was this directed to me? The answer would be no. If I wanted to put her name, I may as well put her SSN and pic up too. Its a large campus, but not that large, she's doesn't need this thread or forum to deal with should she choose to de-pledge or whatever. And I didn't feel like creating a fake name or anything either. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

Type out the WORD daughter. No one expects you to use your daughter's name.
We shouldn't expect the kids who come here to use proper communication skills if adults are not willing to do so as well.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

"D" : College Confidential : Helicopter Parenting

I can't speak for other GCers, but that's what it seems like to me.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Yea to all the new AGDs! Especially to the legacy I know!
Old 08-14-2012, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

As much as I feel I understand RFM, I do have a question for the super experienced. Let's use Auburn 2012 as an example. Some houses were way over what I have read was quota (58??) So if a house is 10 over, do you feel those 10 are from quota additions from girls that were low on that specific chapter's bid list (as all girls at preference are on each preference chapter's bid list somewhere) and that girl either only pref'd that house or pref'd more than one and she was simply not as low on ABC as DEF? As work week is starting, I guess I am just trying to have a deeper understanding of RFM then what is explained (which at times is "it's complicated, but it works...trust the process) I had always felt chapters that took on more girls than quota were either under total to begin with, but from what I now understand that is not true and that all chapters have to take quota additions (to reward girls that maximized their options) unless it was arranged prior to recruitment to not take anything over quota.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:42 PM

A girl that went through our local Panhellenic (which receives very few requests for recommendations) went Theta at Auburn! She is beyond excited!