GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,369
0 members and 1,369 guests
No Members online

Old 07-02-2009, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Checking in as a PNM who spends the time I am visiting GC to read through any and all thorough old recruitment threads. Thanks for the time you have all dedicated to leaving useful information for PNMs to use- it is very appreciated.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-02-2009, 10:50 PM

Everyone seems to think that we sit back and wait for PNMs to post so that we can snark on them. Not true.

The PNMs that get snarked are the ones who ask totally dumb questions (i.e. what's the reputation of XYZ) or respond rudely to other GCers when they don't like the advice they're given.

I think that the best advice I can give to PNMs who post here is to READ THE STICKIES. Most of the time, your situation is NOT UNIQUE. One of the stickies will answer it.

Also, DO A SEARCH. Chances are VERY good that your school has been discussed on this site before (especially if it's a bigger school).

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Everyone seems to think that we sit back and wait for PNMs to post so that we can snark on them. Not true.

The PNMs that get snarked are the ones who ask totally dumb questions (i.e. what's the reputation of XYZ) or respond rudely to other GCers when they don't like the advice they're given.

I think that the best advice I can give to PNMs who post here is to READ THE STICKIES. Most of the time, your situation is NOT UNIQUE. One of the stickies will answer it.

Also, DO A SEARCH. Chances are VERY good that your school has been discussed on this site before (especially if it's a bigger school).
Don't lie, you biaaaas have a twitter account that is followed by GC meanies so they are immediately alerted to the post and can be mean to these poor PNMs who grew up with the internet but lack the ability to search.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Yay for the pnms who are reading the stickies and old threads!! We heart you!

This thread has an LOLCat -- it is now complete!
Old 07-03-2009, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Where are the rushees? As an adult who reads this board because it can be interesting and/or amusing, I would never suggest to a pnm that she read a lot of what is being said here in recent times. The old stuff can be basic training for recruitment. The current discussions? Ladies, it can be good fodder for a writer of a television show. But the snarky behavior, the nasty comments, the vicious attacks...to quote Bethenny Frankel, "very DIScountess." (That makes sense is one is familiar with the RHONYC). If you aren't, some of the contributors are not a credit to any organization, school or women in general.

(And now I will step off my soapbox and be flamed.)
Old 07-03-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
Ladies, it can be good fodder for a writer of a television show. But the snarky behavior, the nasty comments, the vicious attacks...to quote Bethenny Frankel, "very DIScountess." (That makes sense is one is familiar with the RHONYC).
Yeah, cause the Real Housewives of anywhere are the epitome of class and they say so many wonderful things. (No, I do not watch the shows.)

You are taking offense to things that ARE NOT about you, and you really need to chillax really really soon.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yeah, cause the Real Housewives of anywhere are the epitome of class and they say so many wonderful things. (No, I do not watch the shows.)

You are taking offense to things that ARE NOT about you, and you really need to chillax really really soon.
I have to agree. I watch RH and each and everyone one of them is a hot mess in their own way. Not really the type of ppl I would count as mentors
Old 07-03-2009, 12:44 AM

I honestly do not see where it is that we are just being SOOO MEAN to all the PNMs who come here.

I've answered quite a few PNM posts lately and I don't think anyone has been particularly rude.

Heck, there's one PNM with an entire thread going with suggestions about what to do about her photos for recruitment. I don't think that's "mean" at all.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Banned

swerving/

The funniest thing is when someone types something and tries to predict a flaming.

I waited with baited breath and there was no flaming, although I'm interested to know what a woman has to do or say to be a credit to women.

/swerving
Old 07-03-2009, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I am not taking "offense" in that I know that things are not being written about me or to me in general. I know however if I am in at a gathering and a classless act breaks out almost everyone is waiting to watch the trainwreck up close and personal .

If I were a young woman thinking about recruitment, but vascillating, and I read some of the attacks/counter attacks I might take a step back. What I have read might reaffirm/confirm some of the less than pleasant things that I have heard/read about rush and sorority women.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Dr. Phil:

People can predict that they will be flamed when they say some unpopular or controversal. They may also be flamed when someone who enjoys attacking just for sh***s and giggles decides to go on a rampage.

It is also called character: The ability to have an opinion that is possibly unpopular, state it in a neutral (Not "Hey B...) way, explain the position knowing that there are some who will violently disagree and yet are secure enough to state what seems to them to be a salient point.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
I am not taking "offense" in that I know that things are not being written about me or to me in general. I know however if I am in at a gathering and a classless act breaks out almost everyone is waiting to watch the trainwreck up close and personal .

If I were a young woman thinking about recruitment, but vascillating, and I read some of the attacks/counter attacks I might take a step back. What I have read might reaffirm/confirm some of the less than pleasant things that I have heard/read about rush and sorority women.
If all it takes is the internet to stop someone from joining a sorority they were just looking for an excuse to not go through with it. If a PNM can't separate the internet from reality, a few people from a larger group; and not find out for herself, then she likely has a weak to non-existent grip on reality and life.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

I disagree with this and the idea that one should only be concerned about the personal.

I think it's fine that people would prefer GC to be a little better representation of Greek life in general than it sometimes is.

I don't mean that everyone needs to stifle himself or herself all the time, just that sometimes when people flip out and they've got their letters out there, it's hard not to see it reflecting on the community at large.

If you really stick around and get a feel for personalities, your impression of the site and the genuine helpfulness of some of the members, especially members that might be most controversial, changes. But that's a lot to ask from a girl who just wants to know what to wear to first round, or unthinkably by GC standards, what the chapters are like at her campus before she gets there.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Screw it. It's so not even worth it.

Last edited by Tippiechick; 07-03-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Tippiechick:

Me thinks that you protest much too much. I was not referring to you. If I were interested in blasting someone (emphasis on ONE as in person) I wouldn't waste my energy on a internet snarky comment.

My observation was directed to parts of the site in general. For example to women who say to a rushee who is trying to write a real time story and are stalked by contributors who let everybody know what school the girl attends. Or people who attack a kid who may be asking a question that has been asked before and vultures attack with why are you so dumb? (They're young, inexperienced, too lazy to research whatever.) My point is simply ignore the question. Let someone with more patience answer it. (Remember a two year olds constant WHY question?) And again Tippiechick...I am not referring to you specifically.

If I wanted to attack you personally darling, I wouldn't be hiding inside a thread. I would say it straight out. You, personally, aren't worth my time.