GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,382
0 members and 2,382 guests
No Members online

Old 05-20-2003, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

The Fashionable Grad

I was curious about what is being worn at graduation ceremonies, by those who have graduated or will be graduating. Is there a special tradition at your school? Are you allowed to incorporate your group affiliations? etc.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AGDPrincess70
At EMU, we're allowed to do stuff to our hats. Last year three AZD's sat together. One had Alpha painted on her hat, one Xi, and one Delta. Very cute!

I'm hoping two of my sisters graduate with me so we can do that to our hats
Old 05-20-2003, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Not that I'm aware of. Everyone is wearing cap and gown, and many people decorate their mortar boards (for my BA graduation, I had "One down, one to go" on mine, since I was starting grad school immediately thereafter)...

The only really cool attire I witnessed was the girl that sat next to me. She had some sort of contraption on underneath her gown that easily accomodated a full twelve pack of wine coolers (hey - this was the early 90's, when they were still "cool").

It was 90+ degrees outside, and even hotter in the gym where we were waiting. She was very generous in sharing her stash - made for a relaxing ceremony (no, I didn't get trashed, but, I sure didn't notice the heat anymore!).
Old 05-20-2003, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LXAAlum
The only really cool attire I witnessed was the girl that sat next to me. She had some sort of contraption on underneath her gown that easily accomodated a full twelve pack of wine coolers (hey - this was the early 90's, when they were still "cool").
That is the best idea I have heard yet!
Old 05-21-2003, 02:43 AM
Unregistered-

Someone...I won't mention who...taped a flask and some rice krispie treats to her legs.

We can do whatever we want with our cap and gowns. The College of Ed students had apples and long desk nametags that said "Ms. XXXXXXX" attached to their caps. One even had balloon animals. The Hawaiian Studies grads had a Hawaiian flag.

If I had my way, I would've worn flip flops on Sunday.

I think it's absolutely necessary to have whatever you can to help you pass the time. I learned on Sunday that grad ceremonies are long and painful. I managed to make 3 phone calls and sleep for 20 minutes during the ceremony...so make sure you got your sunglasses.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I noticed that shoes were the big thing at my graduatoin and at a Penn State graduation I attended last weekend. Which makes sense, since they are the only things showing under your cap and gown.

I picked up some cute kitten heels for my graduation even though I was loving some tall heels. But I had nightmares about falling on the stage while getting my diploma.

At Penn State you don't walk across the stage and some friends of mine were really rocking their fab shoes. We raided a payless before hand with graduation shoes in mind.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

At Rio we just have the good ole cap and gowns. Of course, if you're in any type of Honors fraternity you wear your respective cords. (in 2 years I'll be wearing my madonna red and blue!)

The Education students normally decorate their hats with apples and book pic's. The Nursing student always end up wearing a lot of silly string.

Some members of GLO's wear their org's sash's, but it quite rare.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I stayed out until 4 am partying the night before I graduated, so I didn't have time to run to Wal-Mart and get some paint pens so I could decorate my cap. (I was going to put DZ on mine, since only the NPHC sororities had stoles with their letters on.) It was just as well, though, since no one else did and I would've looked like an idiot...I think cap-decorating is on its way out at UK. However, I did have all my honor cords and my medallion, so I wasn't totally colorless. I also wanted to wear my Doc Martens since they're my favorite shoes, but my mom vetoed that one...I guess they wouldn't have gone too well with my dress anyway.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladybug1116
Wow...at Florida State people are tame. Everyone looks really traditional...normal shoes, no cap decorating, etc. People just wore their honor cords and that was it!
Old 05-21-2003, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm wearing a lei!
Old 05-21-2003, 04:31 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
I'm wearing a lei!
YEAH!!!!! You rock!!!!
Old 05-21-2003, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
YEAH!!!!! You rock!!!!
You're Sandy, the Squirell, just like on Spounge Bob.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school, people who studied abroad wear sashes with the country's flag. I wore a blue, white and red sash for studying abroad in France.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been stressin about shoes .. since that's the only thing that'll be showing.. thanks for reminding me of Payless Jaggergirl, might just have to hit it up this weekend!
Old 05-22-2003, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

At our school its a pretty formal deal, everyone dresses real nice for it. You see soem letters. A buddy of mine was from Scotland and wore the full traditional gear under his gown, kilt, etc. Was awesome.