GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,158
0 members and 1,158 guests
No Members online

Old 12-10-2017, 07:08 PM

Switch the reservations to an alumna's name (preferably one of the 50 year alums) and call it Susie's Birthday Party or something of the like.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Like I said. Free money. I can't believe not one of the organizations at Texas State hasn't challenged things.
To be blunt, what the hell is wrong with this generation? They don't think twice about posting pictures all across the internet of drunken body shots, but when it comes to standing up for a principle in which they're entirely in the right, they cower immediately. I know that's a sweeping generalization, but I just don't get it.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
To be blunt, what the hell is wrong with this generation? They don't think twice about posting pictures all across the internet of drunken body shots, but when it comes to standing up for a principle in which they're entirely in the right, they cower immediately. I know that's a sweeping generalization, but I just don't get it.
I know! What a wasted opportunity to demonstrate the power of collective action, and show how Greeks can get positive things done - together - instead of letting things happen to them.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It's our generation, not our members. Those of us in leadership positions in our various alumni capacities would be the folks hiring (or being) the lawyers to challenge the school's unconstitutional efforts. What infuriates me though is that so many of these schools own Greek councils voted unanimously to shut down operations. That's game/set/match right there.

If the NIC and NPC are not on a nationwide basis coordinating between national offices and national offices with all chapters, then we as their constituents are not getting the services or the leadership we are paying for. I can say that at my little school, when our FSL advisers have convinced our IFC delegates to vote a certain way as to cede autonomy to the school, our national organizations have coordinated well in putting the kibosh on that sort of thing. Has NPC done some serious pushback at Texas State? Have they weighed in whatsoever? As an alumnus at a school where other groups are rumored to do stupid things or are currently being disciplined for certain things, this is very concerning. What if we've just signed a new mortgage on a facility and the school pulls this sort of thing? What happens to all of the colonies? I've similarly expressed my frustrations to university officials and get responses along the lines of "we think this is a problem to and we will pass your concerns along to IFC."

How the eff is our IFC not already talking about this?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-11-2017, 08:23 AM

I assure you that my generation (a little older than yours) would not have sat on our asses waiting for our advisors to get us lawyers...we would have done it ourselves. We also would never have voted to shut down to begin with.

And using NPC and pushback in the same sentence lol.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Over the decades, our organizations have gradually moved from being run by the actives to being run (*wink*) by the actives. If your generation is so much better, why have they not required their actives to fight this on the school level while the alumnae fought it in court? I don't buy that there is some sort of generational weakness. I have to hope that in each of these transactions, the actives have received very specific information from the administration to let them know when this will be resolved and how. That said, I think the Rubicon has been crossed here. There's no going back to the way things were.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:21 AM

I read this post three times and it still sounds like gobbledygook. But I'm not sure how you can "require" 18-22 year olds to care about anything. And I seriously doubt that the administrations are being forthcoming with the students.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

House corps, HQ, and advisers can be persuasive, no? As far as admin not being forthcoming, that's all a mystery to me. It's not being included in any press release, so I don't know whether the school is partnering with the organizations on any level or not.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Actives are often told they're not allowed to speak on behalf of the national office, especially to reporters, so I can see why many undergrads don't feel they're in the position to fight back against this widespread action. Yes, it might be a generational thing to just say "someone else will take care of it," but if the national hq has always said to listen to the university and to follow sanctions, why would they do otherwise? This isn't like being on social probation and hosting a small mixer; it's unchartered territory. If I were an active at one of these campuses, I'd be upset but too scared to step out of line, too.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

According to the 2/9/2018 Austin American Statesmen, the autopsy on Matthew Ellis showed blood alcohol content of 0.38.

http://www.statesman.com/news/crime-...JkeFxdUEzSObM/
Old 02-12-2018, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

The word is Gamma Phi Beta will be back in 2 - 4 weeks. I don't have details of the plan from the University going forward.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard earlier this week that we might be back as soon as next week. I'm still waiting to hear back from the Chapter Advisor but we are hopeful. This brand new chapter was installed the end of April, came back and did primary recruitment after the hurricane postponed it, had their brand new officers installed and functioned for about 6 weeks before the suspension. They have had no training for recruitment next year, no events, no opportunity to COB. They still have to get to know each other. And had no housing to be able to even hang out together all this time.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:47 AM

I would hope they've had the initiative to go on building bonds via facebook or whatever it is the kids cyber-socialize on nowadays, and not completely ceased to communicate with each other because of an asinine edict by the school. This makes it sound like 2 sisters weren't even permitted to eat lunch together.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Texas State's suspension is lifting. There's a host of new requirements but they seem reasonable to me. Over the next couple weeks, activities will be back- no socials with alcohol until Sept 1st.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

For anyone interested, here is a .pdf link to Texas State's recommitment & reinstatement program.

https://sa.txstate.edu/documents/Gre...Plan022018.pdf