GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,134
0 members and 2,134 guests
No Members online

Old 10-04-2015, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Going through recruitment again worries

Last year I was a freshmen who went through recruitment. I had some family issues so I had to drop a week in. I want to go through recruitment again as a sophomore this year but I am scared because what if the chapter remembers me

My school claims to not be big on greek life and it isn't the way southern schools are but it's still competitive. I got dropped from 9 (out of 12 houses) after open house and was left with 3. I ended up with 1 house on pref day and this is the sorority I accepted a bid from.
I am also scared if I go through recruitment again I will be dropped the same way I was last year, and the house I joined will remember me and drop me and that I will not find my home.

I have joined more activities and gotten my grades up a little.

Is it okay during recruitment to talk about how I went through the process last year but had to drop due to family troubles (not planning to go into details) or should I pretend I haven't rushed before.

Please any advice or similar stories or anything will be helpful
Old 10-04-2015, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't pretend. That never works well, in recruitment or in life. If anyone asks, tell them you had family issues and felt it was best to drop. Those are now solved, and you are looking forward to greek life and participating fully in a sorority. Then ask a great question about philanthropy, leadership or campus activities.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I would assume that even if the whole group doesn't remember you, someone who is involved in recruitment or new member education will very likely mention (amongst themselves) that you joined and dropped last year. Depending on how you handled it when you dropped, they may be happy to see you back, or they may not, but I would assume that you're on their radar and they're also wondering how to handle the situation. I would definitely put your best foot forward with that group, be positive and let it be known in a non-creepy way that you're still interested in them. You don't want them to think you dropped them to try to have a "better" rush this year. Convey a friendly and open attitude at all the groups.

Have you formed friendships with sorority women from various chapters, in the activities you've become involved in?
Old 10-05-2015, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

It always pays to be honest. Let them know there were some outside issues that played in your decision to drop last year. You don't need to go into details but again, play up strengths since your previous rush experience. They will be able to see your grades, but be prepared to provide info about other groups you're involved with, just keep in mind time management might be key as far as possible consideration from a group. Also beyond anything keep an open mind to any and all groups, friendship and bonds aren't forged in a day. Hopefully since your freshman year you've gotten to know people who are greek which can also be a help although certainly not an absolute when it comes to issuing a bid, but it can't hurt either. Best of luck!
Old 10-06-2015, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I would assume that even if the whole group doesn't remember you, someone who is involved in recruitment or new member education will very likely mention (amongst themselves) that you joined and dropped last year. Depending on how you handled it when you dropped, they may be happy to see you back, or they may not, but I would assume that you're on their radar and they're also wondering how to handle the situation. I would definitely put your best foot forward with that group, be positive and let it be known in a non-creepy way that you're still interested in them. You don't want them to think you dropped them to try to have a "better" rush this year. Convey a friendly and open attitude at all the groups.

Have you formed friendships with sorority women from various chapters, in the activities you've become involved in?
I have become friends with some people in sororities but mostly people who I was already starting to become close with last year before any of us rushed and am not very close with any people (that are in sororities) that are in my activities but we are still friends.
Thank you
Old 10-06-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrw2904 View Post
I have joined active minds (a club involved around mental health and breaking the stigma) and my issues were with my cousin (who is diagnosed with a mental illness) would it be weird to bring this up? (I wouldn't go into details about my cousin but this club has helped me to deal)
again just looking for any advice
No. "I had a close family member who was ill" is all you need to say.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
No. "I had a close family member who was ill" is all you need to say.
Is it acceptable to say what sorority I received a bid from (if asked?)
Old 10-06-2015, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

They shouldn't ask, but if they do, then you can either answer (I wouldn't) or politely say you'd rather not answer. If they really press, you might consider why they would want to know and respond accordingly.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

They probably already know as everyone would have gotten the bid lists. I seriously doubt they'll ask.