GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,306
2 members and 2,304 guests
Pinkmagnolia921, Xidelt

Old 08-29-2011, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
I just have to say it........

Ehem, Alpha Gam in 2012!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-29-2011, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post

Ehem, Alpha Gam in 2012!
I may have to start nudging her that direction.

I'm doubly heartbroken to see that my sorority released her... and then didn't make quota. That was one of her top three and I know she's a bit upset with me that there was nothing I could do about it for her.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to everyone at SC that received a bid and has now found a great new home. Also, thanks to everyone for the updates along the way. One of my best friend's is going to be a Freshman next year (likely at SC, but I'm still trying to persuade her to come to AU lol, jk), and will be going through Sorority Recruitment.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenidallas View Post
I may have to start nudging her that direction.

I'm doubly heartbroken to see that my sorority released her... and then didn't make quota. That was one of her top three and I know she's a bit upset with me that there was nothing I could do about it for her.
Wait, wait, your sorority did not make quota? You can contact them and find out if they are doing COB, and suggest that they get in touch with her.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I only know one person who went through recruitment at SC this year and it did not work out -- though it might have. Her mom works with a relative of mine and told her that the girl dropped out right before pref ( she had two invites). She said she didn't want to "settle." ((( Too bad. She might be settling right now -- settling into the best ever sisterhood for her. Oh well.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Wait, wait, your sorority did not make quota? You can contact them and find out if they are doing COB, and suggest that they get in touch with her.
But if they released her before pref, wouldn't that mean they weren't interested in offering her a bid? Otherwise my thought is that she would have been a likely snap bid candidate on bid day, right?
Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

perhaps, but sometimes, when a chapter misses quota, they are more open to getting to know a pnm better. it is worth a shot.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenidallas View Post
But if they released her before pref, wouldn't that mean they weren't interested in offering her a bid? Otherwise my thought is that she would have been a likely snap bid candidate on bid day, right?
It's so hard to say, because they have a limited number of invitations. Maybe they DID want Suzie, just not as much as they wanted three hundred other PNM's. In a recruitment as large as South Carolina, nobody knows, including, I'd guess, the vast majority of the women in the chapter.

Even the snap bidding can be confusing. If it's a chapter that usually DOES make quota, they may not have submitted a snap bid list. If it's not, they may have submitted a very short snap bid list so as not to look "desperate".

As FSUZeta says above, if they missed quota, they may very well be open to getting to know her better. If you can honestly assess this woman and say that she'd make a good candidate for membership, contact the chapter.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Historically girls drop out the first year due to a variety of reasons. Some houses at S. CAROLINA do Spring Rush to make up these numbers.It obviously varies every year from chapter to chapter. Panhellenic would have the answers to the specifics.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrianglepi View Post
Historically girls drop out the first year due to a variety of reasons. Some houses at S. CAROLINA do Spring Rush to make up these numbers.It obviously varies every year from chapter to chapter. Panhellenic would have the answers to the specifics.
That is very true, and while I don't have actual numbers to back it up, I would guess that there is a slightly higher turnover rate at USC. If your daughter were truly interested in becoming a part of greek life, there is a good chance that she could benefit from the fact that others might begin to realize they are not.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I honestly did not like the almost week long break between round 3 & pref. I know a lot of other girls in several chapters felt the same. For most of the chapters, we didn't really get too much of a break because we had meetings & practices at the house every night. Like someone mentioned earlier, the PNMs that I've talked to since weren't big fans of that long of a break either. Although, I could NOT even imagine having all of round 1 in one day so I'm thankful that was split up.

Last year I believe it was around half of the chapters that did a Spring Recruitment (that I knew of, could be more) but several didn't take many girls.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:45 AM

CarolinaPhi - I hope this isn't too nosy but did you guys (all the sororities, not just yours) get any extra time for membership selection? As in, you didn't have to stay up till the crack o' dawn voting on everyone - you could go to sleep and do it the next day?

It isn't doing a 2 week rush right when all it seems to do is add more stress, for PNMs and sorority sisters alike!
Old 09-01-2011, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU alpha phi View Post
I just hired a recent USC grad who was an AXO. She's such a sweet, outgoing girl so it must be a wonderful chapter if its full of girls like her!
I just found out my neighbor is a new member in AXO. She decided to rush suddenly without any recs, but it was her favorite chapter so she is very happy.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post

Ehem, Alpha Gam in 2012!
I know I'm late on this, but from what I know, AGD will be participating in Round 1 and then dropping out (as usual). Colony recruitment will take place with LCs the week following formal recruitment. I'm already on the list to be a pearl sister. I am going to try to be there for pledging, but I AM SO THERE FOR THE INSTALLATION!

Last edited by AlwaysSAI; 09-01-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Late in coming back here but I'm happy to report that my cousin pledged Gamma Phi Beta during COB. And doubly happy it happened without any "interference" on my part.

Just further goes to promote what everyone here always says - everything works out the way it is supposed to, if it is supposed to.

And I won't lie that I'm very tickled to have another GPB in the family!