GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,381
2 members and 2,379 guests
LaneSig

Old 01-18-2012, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Questions before spring recruitment

I've posted on here before so I apologize for having to start a new thread, but my school's informal spring recruitment is coming up on Monday and I have a two more questions:

-I asked about letters of recommendation in the student involvement office and was told that we don't need them. Will having them anyway still be beneficial or will it make me look desperate since I go to a laid-back Midwestern state university? I have one person who offered to write one for me.

-When looking at grades, is my cumulative GPA or my last semester's GPA more likely to be a factor? I'm in my 3rd year and always had a solid 3.0, until last fall when I had a 3.6 and was able to raise my cumulative to a 3.2. Is a 3.2 still not very good, or will they be impressed by my improvement?

Thank you again to everyone who's helped me out!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-18-2012, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerockstar91 View Post
I've posted on here before so I apologize for having to start a new thread, but my school's informal spring recruitment is coming up on Monday and I have a two more questions:

-I asked about letters of recommendation in the student involvement office and was told that we don't need them. Will having them anyway still be beneficial or will it make me look desperate since I go to a laid-back Midwestern state university? I have one person who offered to write one for me.

-When looking at grades, is my cumulative GPA or my last semester's GPA more likely to be a factor? I'm in my 3rd year and always had a solid 3.0, until last fall when I had a 3.6 and was able to raise my cumulative to a 3.2. Is a 3.2 still not very good, or will they be impressed by my improvement?

Thank you again to everyone who's helped me out!

If the recs are from people who know you well, I'd say they wouldn't look desperate. I mean if they were from random members who didn't know you well, it might look a little strange. I don't think it would be too odd though. If nothing else, the chapters know you are interested and prepared. Also since it sounds like they do know you (ie the one that offered to write a rec) everything should be fine. My campus receives few recs and the ones that are personal are always a nice touch. Helps whatever actives that are recruiting you calm down a bit since they have some obvious topics to fall back on.

As for grades... I'm not sure which would be more important. I believe my chapter was only given cumulative GPA, but we had recruitment in the fall so we took the high school cumulative or the college cumulative. 3.2 is not bad. I'm not sure if they would know about your improvement and I'm not sure if I would mention it out of the blue. ETA: I just looked up some of your old posts. I'm not sure how it works at your campus, but most of the actives probably won't remember your GPA from last time. Still no need to mention it though unless you want to say something discussing the way last term went.

Honestly, the two things that seem to be worrying you are things out of your control. I understand that it is easy to nit pick on these things especially as recruitment is approaching. Instead I would focus on things that could change such as making sure your outfits are perfect or do dry runs of them. Or you could get ahead in school work. Recruitment does take up some studying time.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot

Last edited by WCsweet<3; 01-18-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, the girl who wrote my letter went to the same high school as me and she's a very recent sorority alum (graduated May 2011.) I am nervous after what happened last time but at least this time I know what to expect and I have a better resume. Thank you again for helping me out!