GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,231
3 members and 1,228 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 12-06-2004, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm pretty sure the site said if you were a freshman, you needed to submit your high school transcript.

Then again, I could be remembering wrong...I just pulled an all-nighter....
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-06-2004, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Since she is technically still a freshman, I think she might still need it. There could be a big difference btw High School and College grades and that difference could be something the chapter wants to see. My applications always ask for both and I check both through the registrars office at school.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

good luck, but keep your options open. i know you said you narrowed it down to 4, but they might not be cobing in the spring. attend all of the parties to get a feel for each chapter particpating before you make a decision.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I just wanted to ditto what everyone else has said about getting involved on campus. I am glad to hear you are on track for spring COBs as I am a big believer in that process. Keep an open mind, and if for some reason that spring COB does not work out, do work on another organization that may interest you next semester. That is the best way to meet people on campus and make worthwhile friends.

I would also encourage you to go through fall recruitment again if for some reason spring COB does not work out. I know lots of people who had a completely different experience the second time around through formal recruitment.

Please keep an open mind and know that even though it sounds corny you can be happy wherever you make your mind up to be happy. Be thinking about the reasons you want to join (hopefully for friendship, service opportunities, involvement, leadership, making ABC the best it can be, etc.) and don't be afraid to let the sorority women know that you want to contribute your best to the organization.

Best of luck and let us know how things are going for you. We care.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Once again, I want to thank all of y'all for everything!

The Good News: Spring Recruitment is happening at LSU and I signed up!

The Not-So-Good News: Apparently the chapters here have rules stating that if you've been through rush and they've cut you, they cannot issue you a bid ever.

So now I've pretty much been told that greek life is out of the question for me at LSU. I've found most of my info out through alums and I'm crossing my fingers and toes that they were misinformed. The Actives that I've spoken to don't know anything about this rule; they're in the dark and can't get a clear answer from anyone in their chapter about this.

Would Greek Affairs know which chapters have this policy?

If there's anyone out there with info or has the power to find out and confirm whether what I've been told is true, I would be incredibly grateful. Please PM me if there's any info you care to share with me.

I'm feeling really conflicted over this. I still want to give it another go, but part of me feels that this is a sign that I should let it go and stop trying.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LSUgrrl126
Once again, I want to thank all of y'all for everything!

The Good News: Spring Recruitment is happening at LSU and I signed up!

The Not-So-Good News: Apparently the chapters here have rules stating that if you've been through rush and they've cut you, they cannot issue you a bid ever.

So now I've pretty much been told that greek life is out of the question for me at LSU. I've found most of my info out through alums and I'm crossing my fingers and toes that they were misinformed. The Actives that I've spoken to don't know anything about this rule; they're in the dark and can't get a clear answer from anyone in their chapter about this.

Would Greek Affairs know which chapters have this policy?

If there's anyone out there with info or has the power to find out and confirm whether what I've been told is true, I would be incredibly grateful. Please PM me if there's any info you care to share with me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't policies like this part of the individual sororities' membership selection process, which is private? I doubt Greek Affairs would have info on it.

At any rate, best of luck with your future endeavors.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I think this is the worst policy ever. I did not come from a cut throat greek life, but it is just plain mean. OKay so not the most articulate argument, but i have to say that i really don't understand the need for a policy like this. I mean in rush you can not always get to know someone, or a person might be having a bad day. I would not want to be a part of an organization that would not give someone a second look, espcially during cob

I'm feeling really conflicted over this. I still want to give it another go, but part of me feels that this is a sign that I should let it go and stop trying. [/B]

I would definately give it a chance, plus think about it fun parties where you can meet lots of people. There are other orgs out there. I was a member of a service GLO and a member of a sorority. I liked the sorority, but i really liked the people in my service GLO, and there were boys too. Keep a positive attitude and relaxe. I think that sometimes in life if people want things too much they can stress themselves too much and hurt their chances. Say like cheerleading, you could be the best dancer and a great cheerleader, but if you are too stressed during try outs that shows and can make a really negative image of who you are as a person.

Just a thought, and good luck.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:23 AM

cut once, cut always

No national sororities have this policy.

If Greek Life at LSU is aware that individual chapters have this as a WRITTEN policy and are allowing women who have been cut from all chapters to sign up for rush again and pay the fee...knowing full well they will not be chosen...that could get them in serious trouble for selling a service and not delivering (or something of the like).

I'm more inclined to believe it's an unwritten policy, for the reasons stated above.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

IF it is true and if groups are only willing to judge once and cut forever, then why be a part of it. It seems very shallow and obnoxious.

However, this does sound like an urban myth. (similar to the famous 'brothel law') Go through rush and see what happens. Use it as a chance to meet people and get out. But do what Sugar and Spice said, don't judge yourself based on the the bidding process.

Good Luck!
Old 01-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Re: cut once, cut always

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
No national sororities have this policy.
Unless you have seen the recruitment and membership policies of all 26 NPC member groups, you cannot make this statement. Plus, there may be local by-laws that use this requirement - you really don't know.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:17 PM

I think pretty much every NPC has been represented on here and someone or another said they don't do it, even though other chapters might. I guess I should have said "no national sororities have this policy on a national basis." None of the sororities at my campus did.

At any rate, that's not really the crux of the issue - like I said if LSU is allowing women to pay to re-rush knowing they will not get picked that doesn't have a thing to do with "confidential membership selection procedures." That's deceit, plain and simple. It would be the same as hiding GPA requirements.

Last edited by 33girl; 01-28-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Right now I'm waiting for the Panhellenic advisor from Greek Affairs to call me back (she was on the phone and the girl answering the phone was like "ummmmmm, you definitely need to talk to angela...") So I'm waiting to see if I can find something out for sure instead of hearing all of this through other people.

The way spring rush works at LSU is that they take the average number of active members from all 10 sororities and then whoever's below that number gets to spring rush. You turn in an interest form to Greek Affairs, who then gives that to the chapters participating. Then it's up to those individual chapters to pick who they want to invite to their parties, not everyone is invited.

I know there's a party sometime next week for one group, so I guess the truth will come out if I get invited to something. I will keep y'all updated.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
The way spring rush works at LSU is that they take the average number of active members from all 10 sororities and then whoever's below that number gets to spring rush. You turn in an interest form to Greek Affairs, who then gives that to the chapters participating. Then it's up to those individual chapters to pick who they want to invite to their parties, not everyone is invited.
That seems a little odd. Does that mean that chapters who met quota in the fall and are at/over total could be allowed to hold spring rush? And does that mean that chapters who did not meet quota and/or are below total could be prevented from holding rush?

Anyway... If you're invited, by all means, go. At best you'll get a bid; at worst, you will have gotten to meet some new people and hopefully enjoyed a fun afternoon or evening.

Best of luck!
Old 01-28-2005, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
That seems a little odd. Does that mean that chapters who met quota in the fall and are at/over total could be allowed to hold spring rush? And does that mean that chapters who did not meet quota and/or are below total could be prevented from holding rush?
I think that the majority of chapters there are over the official total...so I don't think anyone under total would ever be stopped from doing COB.

ex. total is 150, 8 chapters have 175, 2 chapters have 100

total sorority members is 1600, average is 160.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum

Anyway... If you're invited, by all means, go. At best you'll get a bid; at worst, you will have gotten to meet some new people and hopefully enjoyed a fun afternoon or evening.

Best of luck!
There are many campuses that are using chapter average as a better measure than chapter total. This allows smaller chapters to grow even if they met quota and/or are at total.