GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,062
0 members and 2,062 guests
No Members online

Old 02-05-2004, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Women in the Workplace

I work in a corporate setting and let me tell you.......some of the women here are so catty! Especially one female manager in particular. I swear she wears her jealousy on her sleeve.

Questions........

Do the women in your workplace get along? Do you prefer working for a man or a woman?
Old 02-05-2004, 11:42 AM

I prefer working for a woman who doesn't have a stick up her a$$ and doesn't play favorites. Unfortunately this is not my current situation.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

The women I work with all really get along (*knocks on wood*).

However, it annoys the hell out of me that all the brokers are men, and all the assistants are women.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThetaGrrl

However, it annoys the hell out of me that all the brokers are men, and all the assistants are women.
I know what you mean. Four years ago, I worked at a company that the officers are mostly men and the assistants were all women.

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 02-10-2004, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been taught that women are usually catty in the workplace and that it's better to work for a man.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ztabchbum Send a message via Yahoo to ztabchbum
I have mixed reviews with working with women. I worked at Victoria's Secret with ALL women and one guy that worked in the back room doing stock. I LOVED working there and miss it terribly. However, in my last job I reported to 2 women in particular that I hope to NEVER see again both professionally or personally! Neither one of them should be managers or have ANY position of power because they can't do their jobs and their titles just go straight to their heads!
Old 02-10-2004, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
There are pros/cons to being in a female dominated group vs. a male dominated group and to some extent, communication styles (yours and theirs) will determine how happy you are. I've done both. When I worked with mainly men, it was a constant battle. I was good enough to do the scut work but not the complex cases... if they did allow me to continue to manage the critical cases, I always felt like someone was waiting to say "I knew you couldn't do it" not "I'm so proud of the work you've done." In my current work group (mainly women), I feel more supported, and therefore freer to make suggestions. contributions to the group. Yes, some women are 'catty' but our manager does not tolerate gossip or passive/aggressive games (that is my biggest pet peeve and the reason I left my last job). By no means is it all rosy, but it's one of the most team-oriented workgroups I've ever experienced.

In many ways, my Pi Phi experience taught me how to survive and thrive in a female-dominated workplace.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ztabchbum Send a message via Yahoo to ztabchbum
Quote:
Originally posted by dakareng
In many ways, my Pi Phi experience taught me how to survive and thrive in a female-dominated workplace.
AMEN TO THAT! I TOTALLY agree that my time in ZTA has taught me how to deal with and live through a female-dominated workplace. I guess that's another Pro to going/being greek - just another life lesson as my mom would say.