GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,134
0 members and 1,134 guests
No Members online

Old 09-18-2009, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

DePauw IFC Raises GPA Requirement for Rushing

The student paper reports the required GPA will be 2.5 instead of the previous 2.25:

http://media.www.thedepauw.com/media...-3776300.shtml
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-23-2009, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

It was a 2.25 before? Lol wow
Old 12-26-2009, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Our school requires a 2.35, but I'm sure the school's defense is that studies come first....I mean you can fight it and hope for the best
Old 12-26-2009, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Our school requires a 2.4 but I believe most chapters want a 2.7 or 2.8.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm pretty sure there are quite a few organizations that require a 2.5, which if you think about it is only above average.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Geez... 2.25...

I approve of that raise hah. One of the sororities here only requires a 2.1. Ironically, they have the highest sorority GPA right now.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

IFC at my school requires I believe a 2.1, but our chapter requires a 2.5 as of spring semester.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

According to The Depauw, pledging was up this year.

DePauw Fraternity Pledge Classes:

ATO 21
Beta 29
Delta Chi 5
Delta Tau Delta 14
DU 13
Sigma Nu 3
FIJI 21
Phi Delt 27
Phi Psi 28
SAE 8
Sigma Chi 16
Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

My school has a minimum of a 2.5 for freshmen pledging, and 2.25 for upper classmen. I'm IFC president and I'm thinking about trying to raise our lower limit. Our fraternities (and sororities) have attracted some pretty stupid people recently which reflects poorly on our whole Greek community.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKSlars1451 View Post
My school has a minimum of a 2.5 for freshmen pledging, and 2.25 for upper classmen. I'm IFC president and I'm thinking about trying to raise our lower limit. Our fraternities (and sororities) have attracted some pretty stupid people recently which reflects poorly on our whole Greek community.
High GPA does not always = common sense (the thing that keeps you from doing 40 shots at one sitting, making pledges run around naked, things like that). Nor do those with high GPA always express themselves in a manner commensurate with their grades.

That being said, raising it isn't a bad plan.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Kudos to you for attempting to raise the minimum. Is your intent to reflect (and maintain) the actual state of current GPA averages, or to encourage existing members to achieve better grades? Do you have support among your chapter members and/or the voting IFC members? What is the minimum for Panhellenic recruitment/membership?

To everyone - Shouldn't (wouldn't?) upperclassesmen have higher GPAs in general? By the time you are a junior, you are taking most classes in your major. I think that a 2.25 for a junior/senior is lacking. Am I a "grade snob"? Does the expectation that anyone graduating from college should have at least a 3.0 suggest that "average" - a C+ - a 2.25 - is below par?

ETA: I just read 33's post which came up while I was writing. I agree that GPA is not the only barometer of intelligence or academic success, but I perceive a real the difference between a 2.25 and 2.75. A 2.5 definitely "looks" better than 2.25.

Last edited by ree-Xi; 03-02-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
To everyone - Shouldn't (wouldn't?) upperclassesmen have higher GPAs in general? By the time you are a junior, you are taking most classes in your major. I think that a 2.25 for a junior/senior is lacking. Am I a "grade snob"? Does the expectation that anyone graduating from college should have at least a 3.0 suggest that "average" - a C+ - a 2.25 - is below par?
Yes, you are a grade snob.

Incoming freshmen only have HS GPAs to go on - which should definitely be higher than that for an upperclassman.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yes, you are a grade snob.

Incoming freshmen only have HS GPAs to go on - which should definitely be higher than that for an upperclassman.
I guess there are worse things to be. *shrug*

Old 03-02-2010, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You may want to look at peer institutions and your own campus to see what the all greek average, and all men averages are, and have each representative discuss it with his I/HQ to see if they have goals of their own to create a new average.

Also consider raising it incrementally (two semesters maybe or start of a school year/rush period) so it doesn't affect the current potential members. Sure you don't want people flunking out and screwing up your GPA, but it could really tick some people off who were interested and were going to sign up and the rule changed overnight. This gives them a semester or so to work hard if they really want it, and those who still aren't cutting the mustard can work on their academic issues.

Lastly, consider it a group (IFC) effort and think of ways to increase academic success. Partner with study skill campus resources, faculty dinners, speakers, and chapters can do their own thing, but make it an IFC/Panhellenic/Greek thing and it can really help your rep when someone does something that makes us all look bad.