GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,170
2 members and 1,168 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you! To say I'm excited is an understatement
Old 07-31-2012, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
Until the bid is physically in your hand, I personally think sharing one's ongoing recruitment is a bad idea. You never know who is reading the thread, and who has figured it out (or misunderstood something and you're now deemed to be "damaged goods"). But to each their own....
CutiePie2000 is right. We know all of you PNMs are excited, and We are excited for youand are eager to read your stories but only when it's the right time! We want to make sure you read all of this thread before you continue sharing/writing so you will be fully informed.

Best Wishes and Good Luck in recruitment!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I have not read through all the posts, and I am new here, I'm not going through rush, nor recruitment, and I've never been in a Sorority, but I'm a mom of a young lady who did a number of years ago and what to share from a mom's perspective of the growth I have witnessed in my daughter over the past 4 years.

Even before she went off to college she knew she wanted to "Rush" and be apart of something bigger than herself, and wanted to be in a Sorority, she even had in her 'mind' what Sororities she wanted to be a part.

She started her Freshman year during the summer, and had an opportunity to meet sisters of various houses, even many who were 'disaffiliated' during that time--based on those who had not disaffiliated' she made presumptions on those who had and what "House" they must belong to, based on these other young ladies.

Come Fall Semester she and her roommate 'rushed' and both had in their minds set on 'just what Sorority" they wanted to belong. As "Rush" week goes they were invited back to some and not others--the some they were invited back to wasn't always the one's they had in mind. In the end they were both invited back to one house, not their 'first, second or even third choice" and my daughter called home 'crying' to me that the houses she wanted 'didn't want her' and her roommate did the same with her mother. As Parents, we asked "Does it matter?" In the grand scheme of things, you wanted to be a part of this sisterhood, and you have met many young ladies that you do not even KNOW what house they belong to, and I think YOU will be very surprised to find out...it will be some of those who will be in the house you least expect. Do not prejudge them when you do not even know them, just as you do not like to be 'prejudged' when someone does not know you. So go, and at least check out this house and get to know these "Sisters as people, as individuals and as Sisters"

She joined that house, and found just what I had told her was true, that those women she 'presumed' were part of another house (based on their looks), were actually from the house she was invited to join, and these women have become her best friends, and she has learned not to judge a person based on looks, clothes, and hair styles.

Since being a member of this house she has spent a summer disaffiliated and others have done the same with her, assumed she was part of a certain house because of her 'looks, style and personality' and they too spent time crying to their mothers, that 'they thought these women were their friends, and how could they not invite them back to 'their house'. She had even told these young women during recruitment,

"Do not assume we belong to a 'certain house' because like me, you too will be surprised by the house we are apart of, and it may or may not be what you 'think'.
So if you get an invitation to any house, even if it's not your 'first, second, or third choice' give it a chance--because someone in that house see's something in you that others may have overlooked, and they see it and thus want you for their sister for life."

She will soon be graduating from college, and will miss her sisters greatly, not just those in her own house, but the sisters she has made over the years who belong to other houses as well, and she will also miss her brothers in the Fraternities. She has come to see that being Greek is not just about "your house being a family" but the entire Greek Community is Her extended FAMILY.

But on another note, Enjoy college, and go the events you can even if your not invited back, there are many groups you can join, that will also make your college years fun. And even if your not invited back you can still get to know them and be friends with them, friends make a family..not living in the 'same house".

Last edited by BCPM; 01-02-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPM View Post
I have not read through all the posts, and I am new here, I'm not going through rush, nor recruitment, and I've never been in a Sorority, but I'm a mom of a young lady who did a number of years ago and what to share from a mom's perspective of the growth I have witnessed in my daughter over the past 4 years.

Even before she went off to college she knew she wanted to "Rush" and be apart of something bigger than herself, and wanted to be in a Sorority, she even had in her 'mind' what Sororities she wanted to be a part.

She started her Freshman year during the summer, and had an opportunity to meet sisters of various houses, even many who were 'disaffiliated' during that time--based on those who had not disaffiliated' she made presumptions on those who had and what "House" they must belong to, based on these other young ladies.

Come Fall Semester she and her roommate 'rushed' and both had in their minds set on 'just what Sorority" they wanted to belong. As "Rush" week goes they were invited back to some and not others--the some they were invited back to wasn't always the one's they had in mind. In the end they were both invited back to one house, not their 'first, second or even third choice" and my daughter called home 'crying' to me that the houses she wanted 'didn't want her' and her roommate did the same with her mother. As Parents, we asked "Does it matter?" In the grand scheme of things, you wanted to be a part of this sisterhood, and you have met many young ladies that you do not even KNOW what house they belong to, and I think YOU will be very surprised to find out...it will be some of those who will be in the house you least expect. Do not prejudge them when you do not even know them, just as you do not like to be 'prejudged' when someone does not know you. So go, and at least check out this house and get to know these "Sisters as people, as individuals and as Sisters"

She joined that house, and found just what I had told her was true, that those women she 'presumed' were part of another house (based on their looks), were actually from the house she was invited to join, and these women have become her best friends, and she has learned not to judge a person based on looks, clothes, and hair styles.

Since being a member of this house she has spent a summer disaffiliated and others have done the same with her, assumed she was part of a certain house because of her 'looks, style and personality' and they too spent time crying to their mothers, that 'they thought these women were their friends, and how could they not invite them back to 'their house'. She had even told these young women during recruitment,

"Do not assume we belong to a 'certain house' because like me, you too will be surprised by the house we are apart of, and it may or may not be what you 'think'.
So if you get an invitation to any house, even if it's not your 'first, second, or third choice' give it a chance--because someone in that house see's something in you that others may have overlooked, and they see it and thus want you for their sister for life."

She will soon be graduating from college, and will miss her sisters greatly, not just those in her own house, but the sisters she has made over the years who belong to other houses as well, and she will also miss her brothers in the Fraternities. She has come to see that being Greek is not just about "your house being a family" but the entire Greek Community is Her extended FAMILY.

But on another note, Enjoy college, and go the events you can even if your not invited back, there are many groups you can join, that will also make your college years fun. And even if your not invited back you can still get to know them and be friends with them, friends make a family..not living in the 'same house".
I "hope" you don't "Mind" if we "doubt" this.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Poorly expressed, hard to read, but I think the thought and experience is genuine.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

For those who feel the need to tell a throwback recruitment story....

PLEASE FINISH IT!!!!!

We aren't stupid, you obviously joined a chapter, there is absolutely no need to drag it out.

[/end mini rant]

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-25-2014, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
For those who feel the need to tell a throwback recruitment story....

PLEASE FINISH IT!!!!!

We aren't stupid, you obviously joined a chapter, there is absolutely no need to drag it out.

[/end mini rant]

Just in case you missed the point:

Finish your story quickly, for the love of Mike.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-20-2015, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I really like the idea of doing my recruitment story live, but do you think it would somehow hurt rush experience? I don't see how anyone would figure out who I am just based off my experiences but my school would be extremely obvious. I think it'd be nice to be surrounded by an online greek community and hear advice from women other than my mother, who wasn't greek, (in fact she has a poor viewpoint on rush completely) and just wouldn't understand.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECrushee View Post
I really like the idea of doing my recruitment story live, but do you think it would somehow hurt rush experience? I don't see how anyone would figure out who I am just based off my experiences but my school would be extremely obvious. I think it'd be nice to be surrounded by an online greek community and hear advice from women other than my mother, who wasn't greek, (in fact she has a poor viewpoint on rush completely) and just wouldn't understand.
Have you ever heard the saying, "Don't assume, it makes an ass of you and me?" Don't assume no one knows who you are on this board. Many members are sleuths and there are people who can and will out you. You can tell us that you were at ABC house and you felt very awkward there because the chapter member did this or that. "While there, we talked about my sports prowess and we both think Koala Bears are the greatest things since sliced bread." The member you mentioned remembers that conversation and tell her sisters you felt awkward for whatever reason. Not only did she tell her ABC sisters, but her biological sister belongs to WXY and that now she knows what you said and can relate the story to her sisters. Not only will the sisters possibly be offended by what you wrote and drop you, but follow along online and see what else you say about chapters. DON'T HURT YOUR CHANCES JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT TO SHARE YOUR STORY WITH A BUNCH OF STRANGERS!!!

DaffyKD

Last edited by DaffyKD; 06-21-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECrushee View Post
We L.O.V.E. to read rush stories, BUT more than that we want you safe through the rush process. Certainly ask general questions that might crop up during recruitment, first to your recruitment counselor, and then to us if you still have doubts. Journal your experience during rush and then share it with us afterwards. As DaffyKD previously stated, PNMs have derailed their recruitments by posting live and being found out. Just because a PNM only posts positive or neutral comments doesn't mean that it might not bite her. She might post that she loves ABC and had the best conversation there with a sister who is the student body president, cheerleader, Miss SEC, etc., and it is ABC or nothing for her. In other words, you might think that what you are posting live is completely anonymous and safe, but alumnae and sorority members of ALL sororities at that campus might know upon reading her statement who she is. All the other sororities drop her upon reading that statement and she is left with one choice only- ABC, who decides they like Laura Legacy better and drop the original poster instead. But hey, if you want to post real time we won't stop you.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 06-20-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

We all love to read recruitment stories, but DaffyKD and FSUZeta have offered great advice. Journal your experience and post after Bid Day.
But please give us some type of closure on your recruitment experience, even if a brief "I am so happy" or "It didn't work out for me". Posters who give elaborate descriptions of the chapters and their opinions in multiple posts and then just leave us hanging really irritates me! And yes, I know that we GCers are not "owed" anything by someone who starts a thread, but my personal opinion is that it is good manners to finish something you started.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm cautious about what I post...and I'm looooong past recruitment! I don't post privileged information, I try very hard to be respectful, and I'm always conscious of who may be lurking who knows who I am (I'm talking international officers in my Sorority). There are a few sisters here whom I've identified and I suspect the reverse is true.

Please come back and post your story after recruitment!!

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 06-20-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
And if you do have questions throughout the process, you can give ask them in a general manner, but for the most part, you can do a search, because they've all been asked before.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

bumping
Old 08-27-2015, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Amazing recruitment story. I hope mine is not too much embarrassing so I can share it. Haha. But it's too much that I'd rather keep it for my self.
Closed Thread