GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,596
0 members and 2,596 guests
No Members online

Old 12-04-2001, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ana2225 Send a message via Yahoo to ana2225
Question Should I run for Archon (President)?

Hello Everyone!

I'm pretty new to this message board but I really enjoy reading all of your posts. I thought I could ask you guys for advice on something that has been on my mind a lot lately.

My chapter will be holding elections soon after we get back from Christmas Break. This is kind of a scary thing because we have a lot of older actives graduating in May. In fact the chapter will consist of very new members. I think that we have a great group of girls, but I'm just not sure who I see taking over positions.

In addition we recently had a big chapter issue that has resulted in some negative feelings. I was in the midst of it and some of the newer members feel like some of us older members get what we want and they have no say.We are working on this and things are slowly returning to normal.

So comes my question..when we have elections in Feb. do I run for President? I think on one hand it would be good, since I am an older member and I know what's going on. I am currently Vice President and this is my third term on executive board. On the other hand part of me feels like considering the 'power issue' maybe it's the last thing I should do. I'm also wondering if it would be better for me to not to run and to just be there if they need my help.

In addition I have some concern about the other chapter sister I have heard is running. She is a great member but during our current chapter issue I learned a lot. She said one thing at executive board and then went back on it later. She actually got up and left the exec board meeting, because she couldn't handle the tension. I can't see someone who can't take tension becoming archon...but maybe that's just me.

I have such mixed emotions because part of me really wants to do it and part of me thinks I shouldn't. In the end I really just want to do what's best for the chapter. However, I'm not sure what that is right now.. I'm so confused!

Any advice or thoughts on this situation would be very helpful!!

Thanks
ana2225
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-05-2001, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Wink

ana2225,

First, whatever you choose to do, good luck. For what it's worth, I think you should run. As a past president of my chapter, I know how stressful the position can be. I felt prepared for all of the major duties the job entailed having gone through extensive preparatory training, but I was caught by surprise by all of the little things and surprises that tend to pop up from time to time. I've frequently compared the job of president to being the chapter's lightning rod. Someone who can't handle stress or tension should absolutely NOT be president. Basically the chapter is going to do whatever the majority of the membership wants (assuming that doesn't violate any bylaws or whatever), but whoever is elected will have to be willing to put the good of the chapter ahead of any personal agenda they may or may not have. Having already served on the eboard for three years including vice president, you seem more than sufficiently qualified for the job. Hopefully your sisters will look beyond superficial drama and recognize the most qualified candidate. I wish you luck!
Old 12-05-2001, 03:23 PM

GO FOR IT SISTA!
But....
Only if you can disregard all the b.s. about power trips within the house. The group leader can't be concerned with stuff like that to the point of it affecting your performance. There are always going to be divisions within the group, yours being between younger and older members, which is common and happened in my chapter. Not much you can do about it though, as people will feel the way they want regardless of how it is explained or what message is trying to be conveyed. Oh, and another thing, running aginst a friend can be a bitch, but if you are more qualified and KNOW that her being put in might cause a problem, it is your DUTY to do the right thing for your other sisters. Like I said, go for it if you have the drive and desire for it.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I do not know what Organization you belong to BUT GO FOR THE GOLD!

Most of the time, the Pres. is the one that takes the heat for the chapter and is also the one who holds and builds the shapter during their term.

You are the God, but also the ref for any problems if there is a week situation! You are the leader who must finally make all of the decisions! It is a tuff mantle to wear but have been there along with some of the other GCer's!

If you feel in your heart that you can do some good go for it! If you want a power trip DO NOT!

Whatever you decide, let us know and the bestest of Luck!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-15-2001, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
There is no insult implied with this follow-up, its an honest expression of an educated opinion and designed to make you think . . .

On reflection, and based on your post and the replies I would say you probably shouldn't run.

Your post basically just asks whether we think you should run for office: What else are we going to say but go for it?

As someone with leadership training what I was looking for your in your post is the same thing I would look for in a person running for something I had to vote on: A sophisticated appreaciation of the way things are, the way things work, and what needs to be done.

A lot of that should be expressed as verbs: So basically, you didn't tell us what you intended to do in specific terms and why. You didn't discuss the operational patterns of the chapter, the way your meetings are organized etc. In fact you cited a major problem, the lack of inclusiveness felt by the younger members but offered no remedy other than isolating the senior mebers from the Exec Board. Which is what you would be doing by not running for that reason.

Now, if you are going to go up to the plate during your election and use your two minutes to tell the group:
1. How much you love the sorority.
2. How you are going to listen to everyone.
3. How you ar basically a great person.

Then you should only run if your opponent is basically doing the same, because at least you'll be more experienced than her.

PREsident and All Other Exec Board positions are JOBS And anyone with any kind of sophistication is going to want to hear that you know exactly what the job is, and how you plan on doing it.
Old 12-16-2001, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ana2225 Send a message via Yahoo to ana2225
James,

I thanks you for your honest opinion and it gave me a lot to think about. However, I think you should take into consideration that this is a post and I can't explain how a chapter runs, operations etc. because I could be writing all day. I do understand greatly that executive board positions are jobs more than I could ever tell you. I don't think I could hold the Vice President job for two terms and not understand that. I also see the work our current president puts into the day to day functioning of the sorority.

However, I do agree with you on one very important aspect. I need to worry about how I could help the chapter and what I plan to do in doing that and not worry so much about whether or not I will be liked.

ana2225
Old 12-23-2001, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

If there's any uncertainty in your mind of whether or not to run - then don't run. This has nothing to do with your abilities as a leader, or the current conflict in your chapter. As with any job, any uncertainty going in may be magnified by the day-to-day rigors of the position. Being president, you have to go in with the 110% belief that this is what you wanted to do. If there's any uncertainty in your mind, that may come out the first time you or one of your actions is criticized - you may think "well, maybe I shouldn't have done this." If you have that complete belief going in that you ARE THE BEST CANDIDATE, then you can better answer any concerns your sisters have with your policies once/if you enter office. It's one of those "Go 100% or don't go at all" type deals.

Collin
Old 01-09-2002, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to shadowstar
if you honestly think that you would be the best president for your house, then you should definitely run. elections aren't easy, especially if there is some sort of conflict already existing going into them. if you believe that you are the best person to carry and strengthen your house, then there is every reason to go for it. good luck no matter what you decide; i'm sure you will continue to be a positive influence in your house!