GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,357
2 members and 2,355 guests
LaneSig

Old 01-01-2004, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh James, you always say the sweetest things.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-01-2004, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
I'd really advise spending the summer in Mexico first. One, it will give you an idea of what you're getting into. Two, I bet you'll come out of it nearly fluent. I'm really worried about your mother in law to be though.

I understand why he stays at the restaurant. But why are you still there? If they treat you so crappy, I'm sure that you can find a better job elsewhere.

The summer should also help you decide whether or not you want to finish up. Don't leave school just because you think you have no friends or are feeling left out in the aftermath of your chapter closing.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 01-01-2004, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

i think spending the summer there is a good start. you will get to know the area and his family better and be able to make an informed decision.

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog

And yes, mommy wants him home-in February...and he told her no and he's waiting till May, which is huge because for one he's very close to his family, and two in Mexico you are taught to respect your elders and especially parents wishes, no matter how old you are.
this is exactly like my ex's family. the thing is that they will not change. they will expect that you have the same level of respect, too. i don't think you would be disrespectful on purpose, but certainly you may find that the level of respect is different. with my ex's mom, she expected to decorate his house. she would choose the things on the walls, the color of the bathroom, where the pots went in the cupboards, etc. this made me nutty. i was like, it will be my house and if i want a pink bathroom with a pink fuzzy toilet seat cover then i can have one. he said, nope, my mom doesn't like those and she would never pick pink. my mom will certainly throw in her two cents, but i really don't have to listen. in his family, his mom rules! oh, and then there was the added bonus of his mom living with us. not because she was sick, or dying or bc her house burned down.....because she is expected to live with her eldest son. end of story. and i won't even get into the whole idea that the wife should serve her husband....

it is a lot easier for us to change because we are still young and flexible....for his mom, she will probably be steadfast in her opinions and may even make your life a living hell. i really thought that i could handle his family provided that they lived far away. honestly, i always knew that i couldn't be happy with them in our lives. as someone else said, unfortunately, the family really does make a difference.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to APhiRattlerGal Send a message via Yahoo to APhiRattlerGal
I absolutely 100% agree w/ everyone saying you should go down to Mexico and spend an extended period of time. Mexico is like TOTALLY different from the states. My mother is from Mexico D.F. and she married my daddy whose from the states and we go to Mexico a lot (including just this past X-mas). Jobs are very hard to come by no matter what city you are in so that also must be taken into consideration.

If moving down there and marrying him is what you really want to do and it is what your heart is telling you to do then go for it. But if you are having any doubt was so ever...then maybe its not the best for you.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkyphimu
this is exactly like my ex's family. the thing is that they will not change. they will expect that you have the same level of respect, too. i don't think you would be disrespectful on purpose, but certainly you may find that the level of respect is different. with my ex's mom, she expected to decorate his house. she would choose the things on the walls, the color of the bathroom, where the pots went in the cupboards, etc. this made me nutty. i was like, it will be my house and if i want a pink bathroom with a pink fuzzy toilet seat cover then i can have one. he said, nope, my mom doesn't like those and she would never pick pink. my mom will certainly throw in her two cents, but i really don't have to listen. in his family, his mom rules! oh, and then there was the added bonus of his mom living with us. not because she was sick, or dying or bc her house burned down.....because she is expected to live with her eldest son. end of story. and i won't even get into the whole idea that the wife should serve her husband....

it is a lot easier for us to change because we are still young and flexible....for his mom, she will probably be steadfast in her opinions and may even make your life a living hell. i really thought that i could handle his family provided that they lived far away. honestly, i always knew that i couldn't be happy with them in our lives. as someone else said, unfortunately, the family really does make a difference.
Oh, that is just TOO scary.............I would have gone ballistic.