GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,192
3 members and 1,189 guests
3DGator, FSUZeta, LaneSig

Old 02-28-2018, 03:37 AM
GreekChat Member

It's best to do activities that you feel a connection to and are passionate about. There is no one-size-fits-all. Every sorority has all different types of women.

Even if there was a one-size-fits-all activity (and I reiterate that there is not), joining an organization just because you hope it might help you get into a sorority would not be a good use of your time. Focus on your interests, and join activities based on that--this method will ensure you are happy with what you do and you will be more inspired to get more involved and take on leadership roles.

I'm sorry that you did not get a bid, but the best thing to do right now is to:
  • keep your grades high,
  • get involved on campus with things you are excited and passionate about,
  • meet more people around campus,
  • take an honest and reflective look at your recruitment experience and what you need to improve (i.e. You say your GPA is "fine," but that does not mean it is good; being "talkative" doesn't mean you don't need improvement in conversation skills; also reflect on whether you were truly open to all the chapters, as well as your attitude and presence; etc.),
  • if you meet sorority women around campus and the situation presents itself then try to get to know them and/or befriend them (hopefully this doesn't need to be said, but don't be creepy).
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee
Old 02-28-2018, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Active members just want to see you in something you can be passionate about. It wouldn't hurt if you were involved in something related to what you want to do in the future. But one good student organization with which you are involved in leadership is better than a whole slew of clubs you care nothing about. Involvement is quality over quantity.

From reading your previous post, it sounds like you may have just needed recommendation letters. And that's okay. You should have no trouble getting them. Keep in mind, some schools have a separate junior quota, so maybe next year will be better. I know at my school, it is hardest to get in as a sophomore.

As a junior, you have a certain advantage. You can use this semester to make connections with actives so that, next year, recruitment is just a fun time hanging out with your friends.

At the end of the day, there is no "typical sorority woman", so there is no one activity that will set you apart from the other PNMs. Just get involved with something that you love, so you can talk about during the parties. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2018, 12:07 PM

Quite frankly, if you are a junior and have spent 2+years on campus without getting involved in anything you’re passionate about, that’s a huge red flag to me as a sorority member. It makes me think you want to join a sorority as a socializing shortcut, not that you want to bring anything to the chapter.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizababe1 View Post
I got cut from all 6 chapters at my school after day 1 of FMR.
My GPA was fine, I was talkative, so I think I should join more organizations on campus to help!

What organizations are best? I'll do basically anything, what has a good reputation?

You shouldn't be joining organizations in order to impress sororities. In sorority recruitment, we tell PNMs to be yourself.

True and Constant
Old 02-28-2018, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizababe1 View Post
I have a lot of medical conditions and depression hit me like a freight train in freshman year That's why I wasn't very involved!

But this is my year of improvement!! (I'm a sophomore now) I'm forming my own fitness club, and have joined my campus's feminist club. I'm going to join our campus' literary magazine, Young Americans for Liberty, and LGBT activism group.

If I explain that freshman year was rough for me, will it be viewed as an excuse or an explanation?
YAL is wildly diametrically opposed to LGBT activism and a feminist club but okay
Old 02-28-2018, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll believe that when Rand Paul runs and wins as a Democrat in Kentucky, but I digress.

Regardless, you need to show sororities that you've done stuff, not just joined a bunch of clubs. Anyone can join a club and put it on their resume, but helping plan and execute events, raising money, tabling-all that is the stuff that takes time and isn't glamorous, but proves that you care and were committed to the group.

"Doing basically anything" reeks of desperation to get in to any sorority, which is an attitude they will smell from a mile away. So does doing stuff just to impress them. If you were going to join all those groups to begin with, why did you ask us what we thought they would want?

You have to have confidence in who you are as a person, not what you think a sorority wants, because a) you have no clue what a sorority wants b) there's no one ideal person any sorority is looking for and c) even if that person did exist, pretending to be her just to get a bid would make you miserable because you would be putting on a persona the entire time you were a member. Join and do the stuff that you want to do, regardless of whether you think a sorority would like it, because they're causes you're passionate about and want to see succeed.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
You shouldn't be joining organizations in order to impress sororities. In sorority recruitment, we tell PNMs to be yourself.
Please don't be THAT pnm who joins and/or forms every org under the sun, then tries to cap-off her prowess by joining a sorority. Exhausting yourself with activity will additionally bleed precious study time. Sorority women understand the major time and activity requirements their organizations require of new members and evaluate pnms accordingly.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

And you've rushed TWICE before? Just know that the sororities DO remember you from previous recruitments. they may be less likely to consider you because they've considered you before.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Quite frankly, if you are a junior and have spent 2+years on campus without getting involved in anything you’re passionate about, that’s a huge red flag to me as a sorority member. It makes me think you want to join a sorority as a socializing shortcut, not that you want to bring anything to the chapter.
I had a lot of health issues freshman year. Also, depression hit me pretty hard
Once sophomore year rolled around I got myself back together. Now I'm the founder of my own club, and a member other orgs on campus!! Would it still be considered a red flag?
Old 03-02-2018, 07:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I will be honest, I think you're over thinking things. Yes, you've had some health issues (and I'm glad you're better), and yes you've previously rushed. You are an upperclassman and depending on your campus that may or may not have an impact on your opportunities. We have no way of knowing the specific criteria that chapters use to determine which members will get an invite (that info is private).

Keep in mind too that greek life isn't necessarily the end all be all for everyone. What is it that you're hoping to get out of joining a sorority? I think you really need to do some self-reflecting if you're a founding member of another club and participate in other clubs how are you going to balance that with sorority membership obligations and keep your grades up?

The best advice, if you do decide to go through recruitment again, keep an open mind to all groups. Each of them are wonderful and have something great to offer. Keep in mind that membership goes beyond college too. At this stage, getting an invite from any group would be an opportunity to jump on provided you can manage your obligations. Best of luck.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I would definitely do my best to find recs for all the sororities. The alumnae writing the recs can explain your issues and the reaons for your delays, which would be a huge help to you.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I do tend to overthink things sometimes... Would lack of involvement on campus be an important factor in releasing someone from FMR? I'm just trying to think of why I got released so I can improve
Old 03-07-2018, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I phrased this VERY badly, but what I was seking with this thread are organizations with good reputations. I don't want to join a group that, for example, pockets 90% of their money they raise for "charity" when better organizations are out there.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Forget that! The groups aren't looking at the balance sheet of other orgs. Join ones that YOU care about. That's all you need to do. Quit trying to make yourself over in their eyes. Be the best YOU you can be. Get recs. Have over a 3.0 at the very least.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:58 PM

I will tell you that I am slightly more impressed by PNMs who are highly involved in a FEW things than someone who is just in a laundry list of stuff (like kids in high school seem to be.)

Impressive College Student to Me:

Alpha Sigma Fake Service Fraternity (2 years, 1 term as VP.)
Hall Council Representative (1 year)

Not a lot, but shows leadership.

Not as impressive:

Alpha Sigma Fake Service Fraternity member (2 years no leadership roles)

Kappa Kappa Delta Business Minor Honorary (1 year no leadership roles)

Gamma Gamm Epsilon Marketing Major Honorary (2 years no leadership roles.)

National Society of Collegiate Scholars (1 year no leadership roles.)

Intramural Softball (1 season)

Miss KSU Top 10.

^^^That is not really involvement. That is probably just showing up to things.

Lakers Nation.