GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 842
1 members and 841 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 08-24-2006, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I respectfully disagree, as well- during Formal recruitment, for instance, all the houses are actively seeking new members and the PNMs going through have been pre-screened to meet at least certain criteria (attending a collegiate institution, often meeting a certain GPA).
Old 08-24-2006, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekalum
Well, if the second sorority does offer her AI, it means she has met their criteria and has proved a connection to that organization and/or has something extraordinary to offer them.

It's the shoppers who don't seem to exhibit either who get the harshest reception here and who I also think have the least chance of successful AI in the real world.
For me, it's more about discretion, which some of the PNAIs of late have not been exhibiting.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW
So now we're comparing AI with collegiate formal recruitment despite all the posts saying that AI is NOTHING like collegiate recruitment?
No, what I said is that researching multiple groups is about the same as visiting different houses during FR. You have to get to know a group before you want to pursue membership. In no way did I equate the overall processes.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Many people have compared AI to the way that NPHC sororities recruit. What happened in this thread is almost identical to what I've read of their interests' experiences.

Do research, get information, meet the women, express interest (or allow them to express interest in you)

This woman researched, met a group of women, researched again, met another group of women and has expressed interest. If she meets the standards of AI for the sorority that is interested in her, then that sorority has the option of inviting her for membership. It's not like she walked up and said, PLEDGE ME to any and all comers.

/Please note, all experience with NPHC policies are second or third hand, so I'm going based off of what I've seen here on GC
//Broken Record maybe, but it's what I'm thinking.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiD670
Man, look at all the drama I've missed.

Valkyrie, I don't mean to be snarky or anything, but I was under the impression you looked at more than one sorority before AI'ing Alpha Phi. Am I mistaken?
I'm under the impression that if you say you don't mean to be snarky, it goes without saying that you do.

Alpha Phi was the only organization I contacted and whose members I met. However, I'm not sure what that has to do with the fact that I think AI is nothing like undergraduate recruitment. Would you care to enlighten me?
Old 08-25-2006, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

What's wrong with looking at more than one? To me, its the soliciting more than one that is the problem.

To me looking equates research. Soliciting is approaching more than one. Maybe we are on the same page, but I am failing to see it.

Edited to add: I have no clue how Val did it, and am making no comments at all.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkandGreenJ
What's wrong with looking at more than one? To me, its the soliciting more than one that is the problem.

To me looking equates research. Soliciting is approaching more than one. Maybe we are on the same page, but I am failing to see it.

Edited to add: I have no clue how Val did it, and am making no comments at all.
I think we are on the same page.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Any post from a collegiate who lists five campus GLOs and names them after constellations, Harry Potter houses or days of the week, is going through recruitment.

Any post from a college graduate who sends emails to 5 GLO HQ's and names them after constellations, Harry Potter homes or days of the week, is going shopping.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

This assumes that emails were sent to all 5. Picking 5 to research is different than contacting 5.

I do get your point, but as much of this is coming second hand, we don't really know what happened and I'd prefer to either not judge or give the benefit of the doubt until that information does come to light, assuming it ever does.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMarie

Any post from a college graduate who sends emails to 5 GLO HQ's and names them after constellations, Harry Potter homes or days of the week, is going shopping.
Which is the impression I got when I read the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonz

My friend will be meeting with the alumane chapter of Gryffindor soon

There has been a fifth house added to the mix, Beauxbatons. My friend will be meeting with thier alumane chapter on July 12th.

Along with an invite to Beauxbatons on July 12th, my friend has an invite to Slytherin on July 12th. Both groups at the same time. She is going to go to Beauxbatons, because she was invited to thier event first.

She was given paperwork to fill out with Slytherin, but wants to wait to meet some of them in RL before filling it out.

My friend met with Beauxbatons. She feels that although they were very nice, they aren't what she is looking for, for a number of reasons.

Still no update on the other four houses though I do know a meeting with one of them was canceled due to bad weather.

My friend met with Slytherin today, and she is meeting with them again on Sunday. The president of the AI chapter offered to sponser her for intiation, and she is going to apply, and hopefully she will recieve a bid and know she is home.

Out of the five houses she lookedi nto this one was always one of her favs so this is all good news.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMarie
Any post from a collegiate who lists five campus GLOs and names them after constellations, Harry Potter houses or days of the week, is going through recruitment.

I second that motion.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkandGreenJ

To me looking equates research. Soliciting is approaching more than one.
Exactly............
Old 08-29-2006, 11:18 AM

I'm sure there are LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of women who looked at all 4 NPHC groups (and men who looked at all 5).

However, the knowledge I have acquired from GC also lets me know that if they openly contacted more than one, or went to #2 after #1 turned them down, they were probably left high and dry.

Then again, the problem is that all the NPCs have wildly different policies on this. I'm guessing (please forgive me if I'm going where I shouldn't) this isn't the case in NPHC where graduate or undergraduate membership is concerned.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl
I'm sure there are LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of women who looked at all 4 NPHC groups (and men who looked at all 5).

However, the knowledge I have acquired from GC also lets me know that if they openly contacted more than one, or went to #2 after #1 turned them down, they were probably left high and dry.

Then again, the problem is that all the NPCs have wildly different policies on this. I'm guessing (please forgive me if I'm going where I shouldn't) this isn't the case in NPHC where graduate or undergraduate membership is concerned.
I get what you're saying, but in this particular thread, she contacted one and then chose to move on to the next. Not so much a rejection from the sorority as a "this isn't quite what I'm looking for" from the PNAI...

/feeling bad for the thread hijack that's occured.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl

this is a pretty good thread about NPHC intake:
Could some BGLO ladies please explain how the NPHC sorority rush process happens?
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=250

Even gleaning that link, it sounds like you'd better RESEARCH first, then contact one and one only, and not shop around until someone finally "takes you".