GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,916
4 members and 1,912 guests
bbobbyusady4719, LaneSig, Sciencewoman

Old 11-01-2019, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Almost end of college but I still want to join a fraternity

Next semester may be my last.

I’ve been thinking of joining a fraternity, but don’t know if my age (22) will turn them off. I've had a low GPA due to being constantly depressed in my college years. I tried to rush twice but didn't get in, but was encouraged to come back both times.

I have a few friends in fraternities and they did encourage me to rush, but don't know about my GPA or depression.

I understand it's completely my fault and take full responsibility. However, is there anything I can work out with them? Such as extra study hours if my GPA is low?

If not, can I join as an honorary member or anything?

This may be my last semester. I really want to join one. What can I do now?
Old 11-01-2019, 04:58 PM

A lot of this depends on whether your school has a very large and traditional Greek life, what kind of group you want to join, how in the pit your GPA is, and if you can successfully articulate why you want to join.

Have you remedied your depression issues? If not, being in a fraternity is not going to do it.

ETA: you’re already in Alpha Phi Omega. How about just really going all out and being super APO brother your last semester? If you didn’t put everything into it because you kept thinking about pledging a social fraternity, you might be surprised how much fun you have if you make APO your main focus.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gragon View Post
Next semester may be my last.

I’ve been thinking of joining a fraternity, but don’t know if my age (22) will turn them off. I've had a low GPA due to being constantly depressed in my college years. I tried to rush twice but didn't get in, but was encouraged to come back both times.

I have a few friends in fraternities and they did encourage me to rush, but don't know about my GPA or depression.

I understand it's completely my fault and take full responsibility. However, is there anything I can work out with them? Such as extra study hours if my GPA is low?

If not, can I join as an honorary member or anything?

This may be my last semester. I really want to join one. What can I do now?
Extra study hours and even a 4.0 your last semester will not bring up your GPA much. I am sorry to say it, but I think the fraternity ship has sailed. You have already rushed 2 or 3 times, right? And pledging as a 22 year old is not something that works out well in most circumstances. Too much difference between you & the other pledges, unless you are on a VERY non-traditional/ commuter campus.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

It would appear that train has left the station for you. Be grateful for what you have and make the most of it this last semester.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Extra study hours and even a 4.0 your last semester will not bring up your GPA much. I am sorry to say it, but I think the fraternity ship has sailed. You have already rushed 2 or 3 times, right? And pledging as a 22 year old is not something that works out well in most circumstances. Too much difference between you & the other pledges, unless you are on a VERY non-traditional/ commuter campus.
You're absolutely right. However, they did tell me to come back when I rushed.

I do go to a commuter campus where Greek life doesn't play a major role
Old 11-02-2019, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
A lot of this depends on whether your school has a very large and traditional Greek life, what kind of group you want to join, how in the pit your GPA is, and if you can successfully articulate why you want to join.

Have you remedied your depression issues? If not, being in a fraternity is not going to do it.

ETA: you’re already in Alpha Phi Omega. How about just really going all out and being super APO brother your last semester? If you didn’t put everything into it because you kept thinking about pledging a social fraternity, you might be surprised how much fun you have if you make APO your main focus.
It's a small commuter campus. My GPA is pretty low (2.2). know that I messed up in college. I was in a bad spot, GPA wise. I really want to contribute my all to this fraternity. All I ask for is one chance. Is there anything they can do?

About the depression, not really. It just got worse this year.

I did try to make efforts in APO. I ran for positions, but didn't get in. I made friends but they all graduated. I haven't given up on it yet, but wanted to make the most of my college experience and I thought a social fraternity would help me be a better man and give back to the community as well.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You're absolutely right. However, they did tell me to come back when I rushed.

I do go to a commuter campus where Greek life doesn't play a major role
Two things, they were being gentlemen when they told you to come back. That's the polite thing to do. We women always say that we hope to see the PNM again...it's called being a gracious host or hostess.

Second, all groups pretty much have a minimum GPA requirement as directed by their national org. They aren't going to overlook that for you. They can't.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's a small commuter campus. My GPA is pretty low (2.2). know that I messed up in college. I was in a bad spot, GPA wise. I really want to contribute my all to this fraternity. All I ask for is one chance. Is there anything they can do?

About the depression, not really. It just got worse this year.

I did try to make efforts in APO. I ran for positions, but didn't get in. I made friends but they all graduated. I haven't given up on it yet, but wanted to make the most of my college experience and I thought a social fraternity would help me be a better man and give back to the community as well.
On Reddit you keep posting this same thing but in the Sororities subreddit. So are you looking to join a fraternity or sorority?

Either are pretty unlikely at this point.