GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,170
1 members and 1,169 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 01:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
Ok, I was into this gamma chi thing, and now I am not.

I am out.

Sorry, if I sound snippy or whatever, but I don't have time in my life to be setting up time to be initiated in some chat room, to pay money for dues and t-shirts. I would rather donate any of my extra money to my own GLO. As for badges, crests, conventions...I don't understand how those ideas got going, and I don't really want to waste my time debating these issues. I have no problem with GC (meaning Greek Chat) in generally and its nice to pop in when i get 5 mins. at work, but other than that its just not feasible. And like some other person in the begining of this whole thing "i've seen these 'clubs' come and go"...I think maybe that person is right.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Whoa! Everybody take a deep breath, and let's allow cooler heads to prevail. Some of the comments--on both sides of the debate--are getting hurtful. We can talk about this rationally, like the adults that we all are.

I don't want to be a part of anything that would divide Greek Chat down the middle, because I love this little community. I am very sad to see what's happening here.

Let's all just calm down before someone says something that everyone regrets and the damage is irreparable.

*stepping off soapbox*
Old 05-06-2002, 02:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
FuzzieAlum--

When I said that we should spend time on our own chapters, I certainly would not mean stepping down from Panhellenic or IFC or not participating in the Greek Communities on your campuses. What I meant is people are spending an awful lot of time on something that in reality isn't all that real.

By being on Panhel or participating in your greek community or being a rho chi, you DO better your chapter, because you better the environment in which your chapter resides. That's the concept you should be worrying about.

And cash78mere and AXWhoah, thanks for saying what so many people have been thinking
Old 05-06-2002, 03:19 PM
UMgirl

First of all maybe most of those against Gamma Chi thought that it would be internet based and nothing more. Wrong! The intent of Gamma Chi was to go "reality" as some people would call it. Yeah, it was going to start out on here, because this is where most of us are currently and it was easier for everyone to communicate that way.
As far as the quitting thing...ok so what you do want people to do? You just plain and simple called it stupid and a waste of peoples time, but on the other hand you're saying people who are quitting are losers. Its like people are damned if they do it and damned if they don't. Also, you do have the right to say its stupid, even if it is hurtful to people, b/c alot of people did out a lot of effort into it and to them it might be like say AXO or whatever org is the dumbest thing on earth. I honestly hope you never run into anyone who says that comment to you. Sometimes you should do what the old saying says..."If you have nothing good to say, don't say it at all."
Again, I have no problems with GX, with my schedule and everything else, I dont really ahve the time I thought I would for it and plus it is disorganized, but as Fuzzie Alum said...what stuff hasnt been. And as I said if anyone wants to restart it and completely re-do it, I'd be all for it. I stil think it has potential, if others dont so be it. Like everyone has said, no one is frocing anyone to take part in it.

Anywho WE ALL need to chill and take a breather, we have to remember that no matter what we all may think of each other at the moment, we still represent our orgs. on this board and at least need to maintain some civility, because we have many interested watching this post and right now NONE of us are showing what Greek Life is about. As said, this thread will be closed soon, the sooner the better.

Last edited by UMgirl; 05-06-2002 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-06-2002, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

HEY HEY!

Let us all take a chill pill!

This Site has done more to cement Greek Relations than any thing I have ever seen!

There is no reason for anyone to leave this Site!

This is similar to when I was nominated to run for President and had a Cabinent in place! HAHA!

It is a thing of having a great group of people wanting to interact! You are a member of Greek Chat from the first time you make a post.

There are and will always be people who say no because----!

If it was not for this site, I would have never known many of MY Fellow LXA Brothers or Nina, Brandon, Sandy, Sarah, Kelly, Wendy, Wendi and on and on and on!

While I may not agree with everything, I will be a member of GC so I can meet other Best of The Best!

Where cab you go and ask a question and 99% of the time have an answer back with in one day?

Hell we all argue but make up some way!

Did you get along with your Brother/Sister blood or Greekness?

NOT!

Live for tomarrow you may have lilys on your chest!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-06-2002, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UMgirl
As far as the quitting thing...ok so what you do want people to do? You just plain and simple called it stupid and a waste of peoples time, but on the other hand you're saying people who are quitting are losers. Its like people are damned if they do it and damned if they don't. Also, you do have the right to say its stupid, even if it is hurtful to people, b/c alot of people did out a lot of effort into it and to them it might be like say AXO or whatever org is the dumbest thing on earth. I honestly hope you never run into anyone who says that comment to you. Sometimes you should do what the old saying says..."If you have nothing good to say, don't say it at all."
And as I said if anyone wants to restart it and completely re-do it, I'd be all for it. I stil think it has potential, if others dont so be it. Like everyone has said, no one is frocing anyone to take part in it.
Hi UMgirl-

I never called you or gamma chi a loser. But you are contradicting yourself. In one sentence you are stating the positives and purposes of gamma chi and then in the next sentence you are saying it is too unorganized and you quit. That doesn't make sense. How are you dammed if you do and dammed if you don't? Dammed by who? Only you can decide what is good for you.

I think the problem is people went in full throttle and then decided they did enough and don't want to do more. If you don't want to be in charge of a committee, can't you just be a regular member?

Also, please do not put Alpha Chi Omega, or any other established sorority in the same context as gamma chi. AXO is a well established organization. Maybe in 117 years, gamma chi will be the same and then they can be compared.

Also, gamma chi was just started so why should it be redone? I'm just curious.

no animosity meant, UMgirl just a semi-heated conversation
Old 05-06-2002, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by UMgirl
Anywho WE ALL need to chill and take a breather, we have to remember that no matter what we all may think of each other at the moment, we still represent our orgs. on this board and at least need to maintain some civility, because we have many interested watching this post and right now NONE of us are showing what Greek Life is about. As said, this thread will be closed soon, the sooner the better.
What?

This doesn't make any sense at all to me - again, can we stop using "PROMOTE GREEK LIFE!!!" as a cop-out to avoid opinions that differ from ours?

Look - the fact that cash78mere and a few others have put into words their opinions about Gamma Chi does NOT equate to them showing Greek life in a negative light. She's been extremely civil, IMO - far more civil than some who are defending your organization. I ask you all to show her the same respect you demand - it's only fair.

Let's find that happy medium, where we can have reasoned discussion about ideas and opinions without personalizing the discussion - "YOU DON'T REPRESENT GREEK LIFE PROPERLY!!!" is quickly becoming a popular cop-out on this board for rejecting the ideas of others, especially if they're antithetical to yours.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:33 PM
UMgirl

I'm not contradicting myself. What I have been saying is that Gamma Chi's intentions are positive and what its meant to be for is positive. It's just disorganized currently which can be fixed. Something can have both positives and negatives to it. Its just a matter of which one outweighs the other.
You should have also seen that in my thread its disorganization wasnt even the main reason why I decided to give it up. I said it didnt have as much time as I thought I would with everything else that I have going on, plus its dividing GC which was the number one reason.
I also said I was more than willing to come back if I ever got the time and it was more organized. Sure, I could stay a member but as I said, right now I don't even have the time to do that really.

The thing about being damned if you do it and damned if you dont comes from someone stating that they thought Gamma Chi was a waste of time and stupid and we should be putting our efforts into our own org, and then they turned around 2 sentences later and said for all of you quitting...winners never quit and quitters never win. So...
GX waste of our time, stupid, and efforts should be put into own org = damned if you do.
Then telling us winners never quit and quitters never win= basically damned if we don't do it.

Fine, I wont put AXO in with Gamma Chi, I'll put my own organization Alpha Gamma Delta into context with it. Why? Because at one time in its history AGD was a start up just as Gamma Chi was, and I'm sure that within my proud organization's almost 100 years history its had its fair share of disorganization, and people who thought it would never become of anything, because nothing is perfect. And it has taken some disorganization, people disbelieving, time, effort, and everything else that has made it into a well established and reputable organization that it is today and will continue to be. One that I and my sisters love deeply. I am not afraid to say my org is far from perfect, but it does the best it knows how, cuz nothing is perfect.

The love that you may feel for AXO and other feel for their org, may be the same way some of these people who put their hard time and effort in might feel about Gamma Chi. Which is why when someone called it the stupidest thing, I and someone else said that we hope you never have the chance to hear someone rip something you loved to be involved in, apart like that.
Why should Gamma Chi be re-done... because like anything, it has bugs that need to be worked out and since its fairly new it wont hurt to go over things that have been done and reform them.

Again, lets just go back to being Greek.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:51 PM
UMgirl

Quote:
Originally posted by KSig RC

What?

This doesn't make any sense at all to me - again, can we stop using "PROMOTE GREEK LIFE!!!" as a cop-out to avoid opinions that differ from ours?

Look - the fact that cash78mere and a few others have put into words their opinions about Gamma Chi does NOT equate to them showing Greek life in a negative light. She's been extremely civil, IMO - far more civil than some who are defending your organization. I ask you all to show her the same respect you demand - it's only fair.

Let's find that happy medium, where we can have reasoned discussion about ideas and opinions without personalizing the discussion - "YOU DON'T REPRESENT GREEK LIFE PROPERLY!!!" is quickly becoming a popular cop-out on this board for rejecting the ideas of others, especially if they're antithetical to yours.
I dont think people and certainly not I am using "promote Greek Life" as a cop out to differing opinions. Everyone is going to have them and everyone is going to voice them. Just like everyone has to respect them.
What I was talking about was all the slamming that was about to heat up, and lets be real about this, people were getting heated and all H could have broke out at any moment. Yeah a majority were jsut saying how they felt, giving their honest opinions, but again lets be real about this. We need to be civil and just agree that we disagree. My feeling was that you have many ppl who arent greek interested in it looking at this thread and instead of seeing people calmly disagree with each other and explain why they felt that way or whatever, they were about to see an all out war of words. Not to paint a picture that Greek Life is perfect and that everyone lives happily ever after, but to show that, hey we all dont have to wrap ourselves into a war over gamma chi and theres more to this site than debating over this thread. ya know like showing interest in the other threads out there.
Old 05-06-2002, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Calling folks out...

Alrighty - I tried to keep it nice and simple by simply quoting my agreement with KSig's earlier post...and then two of my beloved sisters - Cash & AXWhoah - put their neck out and called the spade a spade (based on their opinion, which MANY of us feel, but haven't put down in black and white font).

Now I have a problem...UMGirl - you are taking this stuff WAY too personal. That is what I was agreeing with KSig on. I could totally understand if it was AGD under fire (which is what I feel is happening to AXO right now) but not GX. Cash & AXWhoah just both stated that in their opinions, it was a stupid idea. Next thing I see is AXO this and AXO that -- I have to agree 1885% with Cash and say that AXO (nor any other established org) should not be put in the same context with GX. Yes - we all did have a start-up of humble beginnings...but we (and this goes for ALL greek orgs out there) worked damn hard to put it # 1 in our hearts.

You want to make GX work, then fine by me...but you are sitting here saying words to the contrary in every other line -- I think that for some reason this has just been put into the total "personal attack" mode when that wasn't the intention.

I wouldn't for the life of me sit here and call out AGD, or any other org and use them as a "stupid" example -- whether it was meant intentionally or just thrown out there as an example. I highly doubt that you would have used certain other orgs as your class example either. Its just not done and its just not right.

(to everyone): As for GX -- whatever floats your boat...I just don't think you should use GC as your forum. If you guys have the GX yahoo club, then take off -- hope to hear nothing but good things come of it (not saying get out of GC land...just move the plans for the new clubhouse from the middle of the established course).
Old 05-06-2002, 07:26 PM
Unregistered-

I think those asking everyone to "chill" and "relax" should start taking their own advice before asking others to do so.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up tis the time of the season

communication should be what it's all about. if we are talking to each other and working with each other, we can better communicate to the outside world.
you folks taking finals are tired. usns trying to finish the year are tired...
let's work on this. it's a good concept...
mmcat
Old 05-06-2002, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
all ya need is love...

ba ba da ba da ba...

marissa
A GD
Old 05-06-2002, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Disagreeing with Gamma Chi does not equal personal attacks on people or their organizations.

People's disagreements seem to, for the most part, not be of the "Gamma Chi sucks and so do the people in it" variety. People against Gamma Chi, for the most part, have given out reasonable answers why - the same answers they give when they talk about why they pledged Fraternity/Sorority A over Fraternity/Sorority B,C, or D in other threads.

Let's keep perspective here. Debate isn't a bad thing.

Collin
Old 05-06-2002, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Tired

OK folks, I am getting tired of this back biting or what ever You may want to call it!

GreekChat is not a Greek Organization but a group of Greeks who were lucky enuff to find this site and enjoy the Company of Greeks other than our own!

Finding Greeks from different organizations helping each other with any and all problems!

Some get over happy with the idea cause I cant spell zealous -over!

I always was told if you shit in one hand and then the next hand, what do you have/ Shit all over!

We do not need initation dues or any ther thing that will cost money!

We are or most of us are memembers of Greek Orgs. That Is Your First Priority!

Yes, I and we would like to meet the people we are conversing with so that is the regioanl meetings not to set by-laws but to have a Toddy with and say HI!

DA!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Closed Thread