GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,501
0 members and 2,501 guests
No Members online

Old 08-11-2014, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Rushing as a Senior?

I am thinking about rushing as a senior, but I graduate this Fall... So I would only be in for a semester, is that possible??

Also, I was at a different sorority my freshman year, was initiated, paid and everything, but had to get out at the end of the semester due to financial reasons after an automobile accident.

I read that after you are initiated you cannot join another sorority. With that said, the sorority that I joined freshman year is not at the school that I transferred to.

So does this prevent me from rushing?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-11-2014, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
If you were initiated into an NPC sorority, you may NOT join another NPC sorority at any time or at another school.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olo519 View Post
I am thinking about rushing as a senior, but I graduate this Fall... So I would only be in for a semester, is that possible??

Also, I was at a different sorority my freshman year, was initiated, paid and everything, but had to get out at the end of the semester due to financial reasons after an automobile accident.

I read that after you are initiated you cannot join another sorority. With that said, the sorority that I joined freshman year is not at the school that I transferred to.

So does this prevent me from rushing?
You already know the answer. As AZ- Alpha Xi wrote, this applies to NPC. We cannot speak for non-NPC sororities. If you're thinking about doing it anyway - don't. Just don't. Trust us, you'll get found out. Sooner or later. Guaranteed.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-11-2014, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^ particularly as the final semester senior who transferred and was in a car accident. I call troll.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:40 PM

Unless you transferred to a school that has local sororities, no, you cannot join another sorority.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
^^^^ particularly as the final semester senior who transferred and was in a car accident. I call troll.
What does that even mean?
Old 08-11-2014, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
You already know the answer. As AZ- Alpha Xi wrote, this applies to NPC. We cannot speak for non-NPC sororities. If you're thinking about doing it anyway - don't. Just don't. Trust us, you'll get found out. Sooner or later. Guaranteed.
It's not like I was trying to keep it a secret? I didn't know what the regulations were since I barely even got to stay in. Never got any of the things that I ended up paying for.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olo519 View Post
It's not like I was trying to keep it a secret? I didn't know what the regulations were since I barely even got to stay in. Never got any of the things that I ended up paying for.
Do you know what your status is with your sorority? One of the things you paid for was life-long membership. If you were given alumna status (rather than terminated) you are still a member and will get something - something really great - for your money. If you don't know the answer, contact your sorority's headquarters and ask. You might not get anything/much from alumna status while you are in college, but it can offer a lot once you graduate.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Is this an NPC sorority?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-11-2014, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

On top of everything else, you are a last semester senior. At most colleges you would have a difficult time joining a sorority, even if you had not been initiated into another one on a different campus. Since I don't know your school(and you don't need to tell me) I can't say for certain, but I think your chances are slim to none that you would be extended a bid.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd be looking into alum opportunities with your sorority, assuming it's NPC and you've been granted alum status, because that's really your only option. I'd advise keeping the "getting my money's worth" and the "nobody told me..." aspects to yourself. Active alumnae will not be receptive to that.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Just because the sorority you initiated into is not at the school you transferred to, that doesn't make a difference. Sorry you didn't "get what you paid for" but that's the way the cookie crumbles. You may NOT join any other NPC sorority. As others have stated, check your status with your national and go from there. Alumnae life has plenty to offer, though a different experience than the collegiate experience.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

OP, my comment referenced the immediately preceding post. Quite simply, you will be readily identifiable should you go through recruitment. If you are an initiated member of an NPC sorority, your attempt to join a different group will be easily discovered. Members of all of the NPC groups read this board. If you were a member of a local, you will stand out because final semester senior PNMs are extremely rare. Not only will your status materially impair your options, you may also be readily identified as "that poster" who thinks she didn't get her money's worth.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Speaking as someone who is a member of a community sorority, and was active while in college, who went through NPC informal recruitment as a second semester senior, (not my first time around the rodeo) who was graduating in May, and I didn't get a bid. All of the sorority women who I knew that were aware that I was planning to go through, encouraged me to focus on my upcoming graduation and life after college instead of going through recruitment. Looking back, I wish that I had listened, it would have saved me much heartache. I hope that you hear me when I suggest that you not go through with it.

If you were initiated into a collegiate local or an NPC, it's an even more important reason to not to do it, for all the reasons that previous posters have said.

Last edited by misscherrypie; 08-12-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Is this an NPC sorority?
Panhellenic... Alpha Sigma Alpha