GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,081
1 members and 1,080 guests
No Members online

Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Couple of questions

1) What is usually the dress code for rush week? I know suits/blazers are involved sometime but are button up and regular polos okay for the other days?
2) If I know a good amount of people in a fraternity, does that make it easier to get a bid?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:04 PM

Random musing that really has nothing to do with this thread:

When did these

stop being called a "button-down" and start being called a "button-up"?

Or are they really two different things and I am older and more clueless than I thought?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Random musing that really has nothing to do with this thread:

When did these

stop being called a "button-down" and start being called a "button-up"?

Or are they really two different things and I am older and more clueless than I thought?
Some people button them down and some people button them up.

I think that also might come from people saying "button up" when talking about the collar and chest region of the shirt. Don't quote me on that.

Last edited by DrPhil; 08-05-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

It might be regional, I call them oxfords or button downs.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofARk View Post
1) What is usually the dress code for rush week? I know suits/blazers are involved sometime but are button up and regular polos okay for the other days?
Yes.

You'll want to wear shorts and a polo/oxford for the first two days. I can't remember the dress code on the third day, but I think it might be tucked-in oxford, and khakis (actually I'm pretty sure that's the case). The last day is blazer/suits deal.

Oh and something very important:
Bid Day has gotten very lame over the last few years and after receiving the bid you have to go straight to the game. No puking, no passing out at 4 in the afternoon. Because of that, on bid day you have to wear a red/white polo and red/white shorts. Parice has required it the last two years and as long as bid day remains the same, thats how it will be. So remember to bring that (though you'll want them anyway to wear to the games regardless of the bid day, while you're rushing). While you're a pledge you will likely be required to wear at least a red tie, white oxford (maybe a sport coat) to most home games, so I would recommend buying those things as well. Even if you pledge one of the few fraternities who doesn't require that, you can always outclass your other pledge brothers...so they're good investments.

Quote:
2) If I know a good amount of people in a fraternity, does that make it easier to get a bid?
Unless they hate you, perhaps it makes it easier.

But you'll want to visit alot of the houses during their non-dry parties and try to figure out which ones you want and meet more people.

Most of my male friends who were not in my fraternity or in FYE, I met through rush (either rushing or rushing me).
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by Elephant Walk; 08-06-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post

Unless they hate you, perhaps it makes it easier.

But you'll want to visit alot of the houses during their non-dry parties and try to figure out which ones you want and meet more people.

Most of my male friends who were not in my fraternity or in FYE, I met through rush (either rushing or rushing me).
I have two questions also.

1)What will the rush parities be like?
2)And during rush are all the events dry?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014hog View Post
1)What will the rush parities be like?
I'll give you a complete run-down of the party, I've had experience as a Rush Counselor (Rho Chi), Rushee, and Rusher.

You line up outside of the house until the Rho Chi says to go in. You walk into the house and you shake damn near everyones hand in the fraternity and your rush group (rush group will in total probably be about forty guys) sits in the middle of the room with the fraternity surrounding the walls. A speaker will say something like "Welcome to Rush", then everyone will say "how bout this fucking group" and clap for awhile. "How bout this fuckin group" is said at like every rush party for every fraternity about twenty times each party. Then someone will give a speech about history of the house how they party "harder than fuckin anyone", for about five-seven minutes. After they speak, they say "stand up and meet the guys" and then you awkwardly talk to other guys until the twenty minutes of the party are up*.

*After the first round substitute twenty for thirty minutes, and after the second round substitute twenty for an hour and a half.

By the way, these rush parties get rowdy as fuck. One house had a guy cut his wrists open accidentally when he smashed his hands through a glass door banging on it, he accidentally sprayed blood on a few of the rushees. Fraternity members will be like jumping into the crowd, pushing you and shoving you to get into the house. AGR enjoys revving up a chainsaw inside the house and throwing tvs out their windows while all the pledges are waiting outside. (oh and the guy who intentionally runs head-first into a wall every year) And cutting down ficus trees with weedeaters and stuff. I swear some of these houses scared the piss out of me as a rushee.

Quote:
2)And during rush are all the events dry?
It depends on how you define "rush". And who you're talking about when you mean dry. The formal rush week (that is, these parties that I just mentioned above) is dry for rushees. Most fraternities (and the Rho Chis, really) are shitfaced. But you're sober.

If you mean the weeks running up to rush week, no none of the events are dry. For the first weeks up until formal rush week, you will be hammered (if you choose to) every night from going to random get togethers at the houses. Each house is alotted one party before rush (and it's usually an absolute blow out), but people are partying every night whether or not theres a registered party going on.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-06-2010, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the info guys.

About the games...is a dark blue blazer acceptable? Considering that combined with the red tie is kind of Ole Miss colors? Would you recommend investing in a black one?
Old 08-06-2010, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofARk View Post
Thanks for the info guys.

About the games...is a dark blue blazer acceptable? Considering that combined with the red tie is kind of Ole Miss colors? Would you recommend investing in a black one?
Blue should be fine.

If you happen to be out and happen to have the money, a black one is good to have just to have for any occasion, including games. I didn't wear a blazer after freshman year, but did wear a tie, oxford and seersucker/khaki for most games.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post

The IFC keeps the money.
That is bullshit.

I assume the IFC also charges each chapter member dues, as well as charges each new member higher "new member dues" once they get in.

Hold a fund-raiser for God-sake.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBlueGold View Post
I assume the IFC also charges each chapter member dues, as well as charges each new member higher "new member dues" once they get in.
They do, but they do good work so I don't think anyone can complain.

They're good to us, provide alot of protection from the University, and keep us in-line as well.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

May I add a woman's perspective regarding suits? If you choose to wear one (you should have at least one in your wardrobe anyway), please spend the extra money and get it tailored.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
May I add a woman's perspective regarding suits? If you choose to wear one (you should have at least one in your wardrobe anyway), please spend the extra money and get it tailored.
hahaha, yes. I just had a date with a grown ass man who needs this advice - he looked like a little boy wearing his dad's suit. And he lives in a rich area and has a decent job for crying out loud.

Don't assume that suit you wore to the Christmas semiformal your senior year of HS still fits. Guys keep growing longer than girls do.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I had to pay $50 when i rushed last fall at my school they used it towards the up keeping (lights water etc.) of which ever house you end up going to.. which after you become a member and dont live in the house its like $150
Old 08-08-2010, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaneagle2013 View Post
I had to pay $50 when i rushed last fall at my school they used it towards the up keeping (lights water etc.) of which ever house you end up going to.. which after you become a member and dont live in the house its like $150
A parlor fee is what its called