GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,334
1 members and 1,333 guests
No Members online

Old 06-06-2012, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

St. John's College - (Annapolis , MD - founded in 1892, approx. 500 undergrads) and (Santa FE, NM - founded in 1967, approx. 100 undergrad.; 90 grad.) - the best-known Great Books College. The reading lists are extensive and at St. Johm's the students read some of the classical authors in Greek. The students develop critical thinking skills by shared dialogue/Socratic method. The students all take the same classes, and there are seminars and tutorials. The shared curriculum connects students to each other and to the books/ideas themselves.

There is a language component so students can read authors in the original language, not a translation. This is an intense, challenging curriculum. It is very formal (think Oxford); requiring comprehensive (master's level-type) examinations. St. John's is a "place of ideas" and a "community of learners (college website). The goal is to make the original sorces understandable by exploring the valuable ideas that they contain.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Shimer College - Chicago, IL (IIT campus, near south side)
Other Great Books colleges include Shimer College, "The Great Books college of the Midwest." Founded in 1853 by Frances Wood Shimer, it was originally a non-denominational seminary, and at one time was connected to the University of Chicago. In the early 1950's, Shimer adopted the Hutchins Plan (originally a plan to change the undergraduate curriculum at the University of Chicago, which only lasted about 15 years).
Robert Maynard Hutchins (1899-1977), one of the presidents at the U. of Chic., and Mortimer J. Adler (1902-2001), author of How To Read A Book, produced the Great Books of the Western World (Encyclopedia Brittanica, c. 1952), and its index, The Syntopicon. The 54-volume set starts with The Great Conversation, which explains the goals of a liberal arts education and the need to read the original texts.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Shimer College (continued)

The radical "poor cousin" of St. John's, Shimer College's reading list varies from that of St. John's and the college atmosphere is much less formal. The College has an unusual history, having had 3 different campuses (Mt. Carroll, IL (1853-1977), Waukegan, IL (1978-2006), and the IIT campus (2006-present). Shimer students are quite liberal and student activism is popular here. Shimer is democratic and has a body of self-governance called the Assembly consisting of all students, staff, and professors. Alumni are considered non-voting members of the Assembly.

There is no Greek life at Shimer. There is a "Shimer-in-Oxford" program, sending students to Oxford for a semester or year. Shimer requires a senior thesis. There is a traditional program for students under 25 and an "every third weekend" program for working adults. With approx. 120 students, Shimer is one of the smallest colleges in the U.S.

I have done coursework at Shimer, and research on the Great Books model. There are other Great Books colleges to follow, along with a list of colleges/iuniversities with Great Books programs.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Thomas Aquinas College - Santa Paula, CA

Founded in 1971, this private Catholic and Great Books college has approx. 358 students, and a faculty-student ratio of 11-1. The 131 acre campus features beautiful Spanish-style architecture. With small classes, no textbooks, and Socratic discussions, the emphasis here is on theology and God-centered texts. The sophomore year reading list has a theology component. Thomas Aquinas utilizes the ancient TRIVIUM (grammar, logic, and rhetoric) and the QUADRIVIUM (music, astronomy, geometry, and arithmetic).

It seems focused on developing its students spiritual direction along with a classical liberal arts/Great Books education. See the book, Liberal Education and the Humanities by late college founder Marcus R. Bergquist. Approx. 11% of graduates enter religious studies/the priesthood. This college requires a senior thesis. It is very well-connected to Vatican and Roman Catholic doctrine/teachings. St. Thomas Aquinas is the patron saint of the college.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I won't go into too much depth, but Ohio Northern University is the only college in the US where a Pharmacy student can earn their PharmD in just 6 years. First year students are automatically accepted into the program when they receive their acceptance to the college. The college draws from all over the US for this reason.
I know three other pharmacists who got their undergrad degree somewhere, and then had to apply to pharmacy schools (like Ohio State and Cincinnati). They were in college for 7-8 years. They all regret not going to ONU and being done in 6 years. The only reason they all opted not to go to ONU was because of the rural location.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Haskell Indian Nations University is a 4 year college in Kansas for members of federally recognized Native American nations. It offers 2 and 4 year degrees and is funded by the federal bureau of Indian Education. Students do not pay tuition, but they must pay student fees. It has about 1000 students currently.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I have to say that Christopher Newport University is a great college that isn't very well known (not trying to brag since I just graduated from there last month!). President Trible has transformed the University completely since taking over. The campus looks completely different from when I started, to say the least about the academic programs. Since 2008, many different programs have been added, especially to the College of Science. The theater and music programs are also very well respected, and is hard to get into. It currently stands around 5000 students, and they're working on building new buildings (Chapel, new Business building, and 2 new dorms when I left) so that students can stay on campus all four years without having to have a long distance to their classes. Our business school is very popular and not easy to get into, and they are usually well connected with internships across the country. Likewise, there is a Masters in Teaching program that, if a student chooses to take it, means that he/she will graduate with a Masters in Teaching in 5 years. It's available for a variety of subjects and disciplines, and is something special about the school. I haven't heard of too many other places that offer that sort of accelerated program for Teaching. If you are in the program, you have the option of going to a country in the Caribbean for a few weeks and teaching there, as well as having a placement in a nearby school for your teaching hours.
I really loved going to CNU and love where it is going and how much it has changed since I started, and how much it will continue to change in the next few years. It's definitely not a school if you don't like construction haha, Trible has grand plans!
Old 06-12-2012, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, I can bore us all to death (me included) by mentioning all the little Great Books Colleges/programs and that was not my intent - I'll throw the rest in randomly. Right now I'd like to profile a university that GC'er Modorney mentioned to me -- it seems pretty unusual because it tracks student progress.

TRUMAN STATE UNIVERSITY - Kirksville, MO

Listed as a "Best Values" University, Truman State promises to deliver "an exceptional education." The student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and there is a full list of majors/programs. Spring 2012 undergrad. enrollment is approx. 5,633. The emphasis at Truman State seems to be an education that is personally focused, and the professors are readily available to students. Truman is the only highly selective public university in MO. It has also instituted an assessment program for measuring student outcomes. Truman State already has Greek life- there are 28 fraternities and sororities from all conferences.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Another one of my favorite little colleges -
Deep Springs College - Big Pine, CA
With a student body of approx. 26, this place is definitely one of the smallest colleges in the U.S. Currently all male, the college is undergoing a change to a co-ed program. This little college is based on a working cattle ranch. Founded in 1917, the 2-year college has a very diffferent curriculum. It seeks to foster leadership, responsibility, and the consideration of others within our communities. This is a learning community, and self-governance through the Student Body committees is practiced. The remote location hosts seminars and discussions. There is a Public Speaking requirement for all students. With a large library, classrooms, and shop rooms for the tools needed for the farm/ranch, this unique program combines student labor with a living/learning experience.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Similar to Deep Springs College, the following colleges have students work on campus in lieu of tuition:
Berea College
College of the Ozarks

Cooper Union guarantees each accepted undergrad a full tuition scholarship. Alice Lloyd College gives a full tuition scholarship to students from 108 designated counties in Appalachia. 75% of its students are first-generation college students.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Webb Institute. I had never heard of this school until my cousin's daughter, who wants to major in naval engineering, went to visit it. She was admitted but decided to attend the University of Michigan instead. The Webb Institute only does naval engineering and only has about 80 students. This info is from their web site:

Webb Institute is a four-year, fully accredited engineering college that has specialized in naval architecture and marine engineering for the last 123 years. Founded in 1889 by prominent New York shipbuilder William H. Webb, the Institute has produced the nation's leading ship designers for over a century. Every Webb student receives a full-tuition scholarship founded by Mr. Webb and continued by the generous contributions of alumni/ae, friends of Webb, parents, and corporations.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Xidelt - Thanks, Berea was definitely on my list. I forgot about Alice Lloyd (Pippa Pass, KY), so I am glad that you mentioned it. I did not know about Cooper Union's full tuition scholarship. I was familiar with the school, though.

AGDee - Webb Institute sounds like a really different place, and with only 80 students, it is definitely small. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Berea College - Berea, KY

Another America's Best College Buy, Berea does not charge tuition. Students from Appalachia & other areas with economic need can be found here in a living/learning environment. Founded in 1855, it has approx. 1,550 undergraduates. This is another academically rigorous program, offering 32 majors. The college gives each student a laptop. Berea sponsors an Education Abroad program. Each student works about 10+ hours a week in addition to his/her academic program as Berea is one of the colleges in the Works Colleges Consortium. Berea has the distinction of being the first coeducational and interracial college in the South (college website). The small-town campus is one of the little gems of Appalachia. Berea's mission includes serving the people of Appalachia and its communities.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Centre College - Danville, KY

Site of the 2000 Vice-Presidential debate (Lieberman/Cheney) and selected as the site for the upcoming 2012 Vice-Presidential debate, Centre is an outstanding liberal arts college. It is ranked #42 in National Liberal Arts Colleges by U. S. News. Centre is also ranked #1 in the U.S. for the percentage of alumni that give gifts (college website). Founded in 1819, the 2011-12 enrollment was approx. 1,300. Centre is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church, This is one of the oldest campuses in the country and several of the historically significant buildings have undergone restoration/historic preservation.

The only required courses for all students are the Humanities sequence. Centre's reputation and a mention of its politically aligned alumni was put into the U.S. Congressional Record in November, 2010. The college promotes study abroad. There are currently 4 national fraternities and 4 NPC sororities at Centre.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbino View Post
Berea College - Berea, KY

Another America's Best College Buy, Berea does not charge tuition. Students from Appalachia & other areas with economic need can be found here in a living/learning environment. Founded in 1855, it has approx. 1,550 undergraduates. This is another academically rigorous program, offering 32 majors. The college gives each student a laptop. Berea sponsors an Education Abroad program. Each student works about 10+ hours a week in addition to his/her academic program as Berea is one of the colleges in the Works Colleges Consortium. Berea has the distinction of being the first coeducational and interracial college in the South (college website). The small-town campus is one of the little gems of Appalachia. Berea's mission includes serving the people of Appalachia and its communities.
I just want to add... They have a student run hotel/restaurant and a store where goods that are handmade by the students are sold. We're not talking arts and crafts things. We're talking really well made incredible wood crafts, furniture, ceramics, etc. We ate at the restaurant and the food was fantastic. Now the last time I was there was probably 25 years ago, but I was so impressed. It is through this store, hotel and restaurant that they can continue having a tuition free college.

Craft store site: https://bereacollegecrafts.com/
Hotel/restaurant: http://www.boonetavernhotel.com/

I think I need to go there again, in fact. I loved that place.