GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 864
0 members and 864 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2000, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Am I racist?

The other day I went into a Korean-American owned beauty supply store to pick up an item. The lady who assisted me could have used a lesson in customer service skills, but nevertheless I got the item and left only to discover that it was not what I actually needed. I returned the next day hoping to get a refund and I was distraught to discover that they were not in the business of refunding money to their customers. Now more than ever, I am seeing a multitude of these similar beauty supply stores owned by Korean- Americans. I have vowed not to support them because they are not customer service oriented, nor do they support the black communities to which they target most. My question is this: 1)At a time when most minorities can not get the necessary capital/resources to launch business ventures, how are these Korean Americans doing so? 2)Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-18-2000, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know where you live...but here, (New Orleans), rather Louisiana, these Koreans/Vietnamese are making much bank! They have been here 4ever. Even the students at the high school where I teach at are DRIVING 1998 or recent Acura Legends, Solaras, "supped up" Accords, 4Runners, and Lexuses etc. The place where I get my nails done is operated by Koreans. She refuses to give you a break on anything, even to her most loyal customers. Except for their new year, she offered some cookies and drink. For Christmas, she puts out old polish and tells you that you can HAVE one. Don't think so. But I do have my way of getting... oh, I better stop with that thought.
Put back into the community? Yeah, there own. They get these "funds" from the government. They do not get taxed! You go to their homes, they have 3or 4 sets of families living in a 3bedroom home. I may be exaggerating here, but it is not the typical one family living there. A family lives next door to my aunt. Then, they have GANGS! A couple of years ago, they had a shootout at the local mall! Go figure!
Old 07-18-2000, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

The same exact thing happened to my mother a couple of months ago! It sounds as though this is a universal policy. I absolutely refuse to spend my money in any store like that regardless of who they are owned by, and I told my mom the same thing. Their stores are targeted towards the African-American population and without us, their businesses could not survive (or at least with the products they currently carry). When more of us begin to realize that our dollars do matter, then will we see changes.

Members of the black community could do the same thing, however, we must learn to patronize our own businesses in order for them to survive and thrive. The opportunities are there, but we must have the will and spirit to succeed. I heard someone on television say a while ago that at least during times of segregation, the black community was united. Now, we are like mice running around in the dark bumping into one other. We must learn to support each other.
Old 07-18-2000, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
I have read that many Asian entrepreneurs take advantage of financial collectives that are operated by individuals and families, who contribute money each money to the collective and then withdraw money as needed for business start-up costs, education, and other needs.

There are many innovative ways to finance small businesses, from using one's own personal savings to soliciting investors through church, school, family, fraternal, social and other groups. This is assuming, of course, that the entrepreneur has tried (and not gottend funding) through the Small Business Administration, local banks (which all have Community Reinvestment Act mandates to follow), churches and other groups that have micro-loan and other loan products, community development groups, entrepreneurial training/financing classes and the like. We have not because we make not FOR OURSELVES!

And why do we wonder why non-blacks come into the 'hood to set up shop? As the philosopher Too Short once opined, "There's money in the ghetto!" When we cease rewarding bad service, poor quality products and services, and tacky ambiance, we will see changes, as my soror AKAtude stated.
Old 07-18-2000, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

i agree with you DG, we must do for ourselves everyone else looks out for self we must do the same. sure there are cases where blacks do not get the same funding opportunities, however i think that there are many ways to get around that as was mentioned. Some of us feel that it is more important for us to make money now and not think about the future of our children and their children, who would really benefit from owning a business vs having the lastest tennis shoes, some of these people sacrifice so that their future will be brighter for them and their kids. but i hate stores that do not do refunds or exchanges, i simply don't shop there. and i get tired of getting my nails done and not knowing if the owners are cursing or laughing at me right in my presence . It seems some of us want to get as far away from the black community as possible and assimilate thinking it will make life better, but it is better to suffer now so that life can be better for our kids, that is what the Asians, etc. are doing. I am not mad at them for sticking together, i wish blacks would do the same, but that's a whole nother Ricky Lake
Old 07-18-2000, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I am blown away by this thread.
Old 07-18-2000, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
No, you are not racist. I also have noticed this at beauty supply stores and some nail places here. They are very nonchalant and seem to care less if you are disatisfied with their service. It irritates me when they do not even speak to you in the nail salon, but talk to everyone else around you in another language. But if we did that, it would be considered unprofessional. I really do believe some of their attitudes towards us begin with the stereotypes that they see or hear of before they come here. And when they get here, they see the racism exhibited towards us. If other cultures display a lack of respect towards us, why should they do any different? While this happens at the majority of their businesses, I have to also say it's not at all places. There is a nail salon here that I have to commend that is owned by Asians. Once I went in for a manicure and noticed that the young lady had left a bit of polish one one of my fingers. One of the men there didn't even wait for me to say anything (he saw my face), he jumped up, immediately addressed her, and she came back and fixed the problem. She also apologized profusely. Also, when I go there, they take the time to hold a conversation with me.
Old 07-19-2000, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

The reason African-American aren't opening shops in their own neighborhood is simple: African-Americans are comsumers not producers. Many of us would rather spend our leftover money (money after paying bills), buying EXPENSIVE, name brand clothes, shoes, cologne, jewlery, ect. instead of saving it. African-Americans have the resources to have their own (we ARE the top spending race), African-Americans just don't (in many cases) have the entrepreneual (sp?) spirit or desire to follow through with the dream.
FYI: Of course the business owners don't care how they treat their customers; many times the customers don't have any choice and will continue to patronize the offending store. That is why prices are so inflated in certain neighborhoods.
HumbleBumbleBee
Old 07-19-2000, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

I'm not the one to say that you are prejudice , so I'll let you figure that on your own. But when someone reacts to an entire race by the actions of one that is by far something you should reconsider. I mean what if it was a business owned by your racial group would you have been so swift to say you aren't supporting any businesses of that race. I mean I can admit there have been times I have been into stores and recieved a simular treatment. Thing is they aren't there to support the community if you want to get right down to it, they are a business and they are there for a profit. It is your choice whether you choose to shop there or not. But as long as they are supported they will continue to run there business as they please. Who knows maybe the Koreans are going to the extents that other races aren't. It's just like people of color versus white. They were afraid, holding themselves back for watching the other. This country was practically built by black, but it goes relatively unspoken of because that's the way (we)society has chosen to lead the way. You can't particularly help someone who doesn't have the state of mind, will power, determination, and courage to do so.
Old 07-19-2000, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

Hello Soror's and SF's

I know here where I live there is a beauty supply store that is run by this Korean lady. I have mixed emotions about this entire situation. She does give discounts to college students and she does employee african-american college students as well. I guess that is a good thing. I did have one MAJOR incident with her a while ago which really had me upset. I went into the store with a friend of mine one day to purchase a bottle of spritz. It was the first thing that I picked up when I went into the store and after walking around browsing for anything else that I may have needed (which turned out to be nothing) I decided against buying the spritz. I placed it back on the shelf where I got if from which was in the back of the store. By this time my friend was in line to pay for her things and I told her that I would just meet her in the car. At that time I walked out of the store to my car and had hardly opened my door when this little Korean woman came running out of the store after me wanting to check my purse. The woman had the audacity to think that I had stolen a bottle of $2.oo spritz. I was so mad that I was seeing red. After calling her everything but a child of God I proceeded to show her what was in my purse as well as pulled out at least $50.00 to show her that I did not have to steal a bottle of spritz. I not so nicely let her know that every black person who walks into her store is a crook and that the ones she should be watching are the ones she let get away. I also told her that if it weren't for blacks patronizing her store than she wouldn't have a business at all. White women certainly aren't known for going to beauty supply stores the way that black women are. After that I refused to go into that store again for at least a year.
Old 07-19-2000, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello sisters,

I'm not an AKA, but this topic makes me hot.
I used to get my nails done on a regular basis, and I was getting the feeling that the Vietnamesse women who were doing nails were talking about the people in the chairs. I couldn't expain it, but it was just a feeling. So I brought one of my Amer-asian friends with me to the store (she just looks white) and had her just listen. When we got out, she told me that for an hour they had talked about everyone who walked throught the door. She said they said something about thinking that my hair (which is long and thick) was a weave, and that I needed to use the money to buy food for my children (when this happened I was maybe 17, and I'm nearly 21 and still don't have any children, nor had they ever seen me with any)rather than hair and nails.

From then on, if I can't understand what you are saying, I don't shop there, and I don't particularly care if it's racist or not!!!!!
Old 07-19-2000, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with mostly all the comments.

Code Blue, I am sorry but I think the generalization we are making are pretty accurate.

I am from Compton and we have Swapmeets as well as nail shops on every corner, beauty shops, liquor stores, etc. and they are all owned by Koreans and 99.9% of them are either rude or lacking in any customer service skills.

We actually talked about this issue in one of my Race and American Law classes. I think these issues stem from the fact that many Asians buy into the negative stereotypes that most Americans have about African-Americans. They think they are better than us.

I would also say the same thing about my group of people. You will hear many a Black person say, they hate dealing with Black owned businesses because they always have attitudes and I hate to say it and I try to check myself when I do. But it is true.I was calling this Beautician the other day and he was so stank on the phone I took my business elsewhere.

I think the reason why a lot of Blacks still patronize these stores is because they have a corner on the market. If you are your average joe in my city then you may not have the transportation to find someplace that is Black owned because generally every thing in the immediate area is Korean owned and if you do go out what is the alternative a "white owned business." Neither one are putting money back into our communities.

But I have a general gripe with some Asian Americans. In California where they represent a significant part of the population, the college I attended was sixty percent Asian and what tripped me out were all those Asians who walked around listening to rap, calling each other nigga, dressing hip hop and then thought they were too good to be friendly to me. But I guess that is a whole 'nother topic.

------------------
Aim for the moon,.... if you miss you'll be among the stars.
Old 07-19-2000, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I have to agree with much of what has been said. I have had dealings with Asians, and here in Florida, many Arabian/Indians who have the same attitude. If they aren't hitting on you they are following you around the store trying to make sure you aren't stealing.
I feel that one of the reasons why Asians particularly have such success in privately owned business is because Asian families pool their funds to start businesses. If they all have a little money, they pool it together to start their business and share the profits. I think, and it is sad to say, that many black people compete among one another (even family members) to see who has the most money, rather than pooling funds for a common cause so that we all benefit.
Old 07-19-2000, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello Ladies:

This topic is one that really interests me so I decided to respond. For those that think we are racist (who feel we should not patronize these stores/businesses) I beg to differ.

I had a Korean woman tell my mother she was a liar because my mom went to return some hair (braids) to her after she shargerd her $75.00 and she found it elsewhere for like, $20.00. She had the receipt, the bag was unopened, etc. The woman was soooo foul, I couldn't believe it. My mom's feelings were so hurt (and that's hard to do). I decide to go elsewhere for my sh**, despite the fact that this shop is in walking distance from my home.

What's up ChAKAlate...you know I AM talking about the CPT girl.

Also because I speak several languages, I have on occaion "busted" fools out in nail shops, swapmeets, etc. for talking about my peeps.

I speak FLUENT Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese and Tagalog. My father was in the military...so...you know.

I am in the shop and these people are going on an on about EVERY single person who walks in. From the woman with the crazy looking feet to the one with the crazy hair. Then they got to baggin' on me. I have REALLY SHORT HAIR. I look like a man, I like women yada, yada, yada.

I very quickly told her that I understood everything she said about me (in Korean) and that I was going to tell everyone else what they were saying about them.

When sistahs heard me, they were like WOW

Just to sum it up. When you think they are talking about you they are. They tend to be VERY disrespectful. It doesn't matter because their main thrust is not to please you, it is to make money. Honestly, I ain't mad.

We NEED Black owned businesses in our beighborhoods. NOW!!!
Old 07-19-2000, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Delta Brat, that is awful and that will make me stop patronizing their businesses altogether. I know we cannot stop somone from speaking their native language, but it's akin to whispering --- and it's very rude & unprofessional. When you busted the women, did you complain to their manager?

------------------
>>>"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised... Proverbs 31:29-30
Closed Thread