GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 801
0 members and 801 guests
No Members online

Old 05-23-2016, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's the information about Stanford and University of the Pacific:

UOP Phi Chapter was formed in 1889 at University of the Pacific in San Jose, California. In 1892, the charter was transferred to Stanford University. Phi remained at Stanford until 1944, when women's fraternities were abolished on that campus. In 1959, Phi was re-established at University of the Pacific, which was then located in Stockton, California.

Stanford: In 1892, Kappa Alpha Theta was the first women's fraternity at Stanford University when Phi’s charter was transferred from the University of the Pacific. In 1944, Stanford banished all women's Greek organizations. When the ban was lifted in 1978, Theta returned to Stanford’s Palo Alto campus. As the re-established University of the Pacific chapter had earlier reclaimed the Phi name, the returning Stanford chapter became Phi deuteron, meaning “Phi the second.”
Old 05-23-2016, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

According to the ISU April 2016 Greek Newsletter, Delta Gamma is coming to Iowa State University in Fall 2016.

http://www.greek.iastate.edu/news-ev...016-newsletter
Old 05-24-2016, 06:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes we are! And Arkansas this fall as well.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Question about 3 existing chapters at Stanford: Theta, Kappa & Chi O all had chapters Stanford very early on (but closed when Standford banned sororities in 1944, with the ban lifted in 1977). Does anyone know why those recolonizations don't have a "lower" original chapter name? Like, would Theta's original chapter designation have been the Alpha Alpha chapter? (That 1 seemed to be missing from the list of their chapters on Wikipedia & would fit the original colonization timeline.)
For Chi Omega, I believe that Nu Alpha is the original chapter name for Stanford. Remember Chi Omega has a unique, but confusing, way of naming its chapters. The chapter names start at Psi (founding chapter, Univ of Arkansas) and go backwards through Alpha, then do it again, with Alpha as the second letter. The next time through, Beta is the second letter. So, any chapter with Alpha as the second letter is still a pretty old chapter. If the Stanford chapter had been renamed when it recolonized in the 70’s, it would probably have a chapter name ending in Kappa.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
According to the ISU April 2016 Greek Newsletter, Delta Gamma is coming to Iowa State University in Fall 2016.

http://www.greek.iastate.edu/news-ev...016-newsletter
Yes! This is the second half of the stacked expansion that started with Alpha Phi returning to campus in fall of 2014. I'm interested in seeing what Delta Gamma will do for housing. It is really a necessity at Iowa State, where we have very old, established chapter facilities.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Delta Pi has announced on their website that they have been invited to colonize at UC Davis Winter 2017!
Old 05-26-2016, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiPal View Post
Alpha Delta Pi has announced on their website that they have been invited to colonize at UC Davis Winter 2017!
YAY - welcome to UCD! I'm a little out of the Davis loop recently, but I know expansion is stacked...

Edited because I can't read in the morning. Someone is coming after ADPi, but I don't know who or when. I'm so helpful

Last edited by dukedg; 05-26-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:14 AM

Alpha Chi Omega has been invited to colonize at Union College(NY). The colonization will take place this coming Fall.

http://www.concordy.com/news/2016/05...-new-sorority/

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-26-2016, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedg View Post
YAY - welcome to UCD! I'm a little out of the Davis loop recently, but I know expansion is stacked...

Edited because I can't read in the morning. Someone is coming after ADPi, but I don't know who or when. I'm so helpful
Curious what the Winter term means coming from an East Coaster who doesn't get the quarter system-around what month will this colonization take place?
Old 05-26-2016, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Curious what the Winter term means coming from an East Coaster who doesn't get the quarter system-around what month will this colonization take place?
Ha ha, Winter quarter is Jan through Mar usually, then Spring Break is the divider and Spring quarter starts April through early June. These schools don't start until late September in the Fall.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quarter system is usually Sept-Dec, Jan -March, March/April-May/June.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
Yes! This is the second half of the stacked expansion that started with Alpha Phi returning to campus in fall of 2014. I'm interested in seeing what Delta Gamma will do for housing. It is really a necessity at Iowa State, where we have very old, established chapter facilities.
I'm not 100% where DG would put theirs if they want to be near the houses. Unless they want to go the Alpha Phi route and buy an apartment building and convert it. And if they want to do that, I know of a certain set of apartments that I'd love to see sold to them
Old 05-28-2016, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKate1244 View Post
I'm not 100% where DG would put theirs if they want to be near the houses. Unless they want to go the Alpha Phi route and buy an apartment building and convert it. And if they want to do that, I know of a certain set of apartments that I'd love to see sold to them
We too are returning to Iowa this fall and are facing the same housing situaton. We do have $$ from the sale of our former house, which Alpha Phi now owns. I highly suspect we will eventually build a new house a few years after the installation of the chapter.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

According to Theta' website their chapters will be:

San Diego State: Gamma Sigma (recolonization)
Colorado School of Mines: Theta Mu
Stetson: Epsilon Theta (recolonization)
Georgia Tech: Theta Nu

http://www.kappaalphatheta.org/learn...hisSectionPage
Old 05-28-2016, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKate1244 View Post
I love that old chapter facilities that were once bought out and converted to apartments have now been returned to chapter houses - Alpha Phi (which used to be the Phi Kappa Tau house) and Delta Chi (which used to be the Phi Delta Theta house before Phi Delts bought Alpha Phi's old house and moved there).

There's also some amazing new construction with Delts and Sigma Chi's new houses (on their old lots, however), so if DG and PKT could find the land, it is possible. But with the construction of the new residence hall in that same area, land is really at a premium now. I wonder if SAE is renting out their facility while they're off campus or using the time to do updates.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.