GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,905
4 members and 1,901 guests
bbobbyusady4719, LaneSig, Sciencewoman
Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2000, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up AKA MEMBERSHIP

Sisterfriends,
With the summer over and the school year starting up, the excitement for gaining membership into greek organizations has set in. I know you all have many questions concerning membership into Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated and my sorors and I will answer what we can. However, many of your questions have been answered many times before - either on this forum or others that you have visited. There are some questions that you have that will NOT be answered on this board or any board no matter how many times or how many ways that they are asked. There are some things that you will not find out until the rush at your college or until the appropriate time by the graduate chapter that you are seeking membership with. You will find out other things IF and WHEN you are invited as a candidate for membership.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: What are the requirements for membership into Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.?
A: As an undergraduate you must be a full time student attending an accredited college or university. You must maintain a minimum of a 2.5 grade point average. GPA requirements may be higher at some institutions.

Remember that Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. seeks to be supreme in service to all mankind. Make sure that you are contributing positively to your community. Find a need in your community and go to work. Participate in different campus and community activities. Don't just have your name on the membership roster of your organizations, but actively participate and take on leadership roles. You will definitely meet members of AKA this way. Remember, the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha don't sit back and watch, we lead!

Q: I want to be an AKA. What should I do?
A: Please review the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. homepage at http://www.aka1908.com. The homepage will provide you with general information regarding AKA history, programs, and national
targets. Do you know any members on your campus or if you are seeking graduate membership, in the area chapter? If not, then you need to meet them. Go to programs sponsored by the chapter, find out if members are in your classes or in any of the
organizations that you are a part of. Be aware of informationals, rush activities and other formal activities. After participating in rush you should be given information on the next steps in the process. Graduate membership is BY INVITATION ONLY

Q: I meet all of the minimum requirements. Will that mean I will be selected?
A: Just because you meet all of the minimum requirements does not mean that you will become a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. Remember that there will be many ladies seeking membership into the same chapter as you. Make sure that YOU stand out. How do you do this? The same way you would if you were applying for a job that you knew many others were applying to. You put your best foot forward and make sure that you exceed the bare minimum requirements and go into it with confidence!

Q: The chapter at my school is suspended. Can I go through another chapter to attain membership?
A: NO. If your school still has a chapter that has not been dissolved by Corporate Headquarters, then you cannot gain membership through another chapter. You will have to wait until the chapter comes off of suspension, transfer to another school completely, or wait until you graduate to seek graduate membership.

Best wishes to all of you as you start the new academic year and as you seek to fulfill your dreams.

Sisterly,
Pink Cashmere

Old 08-23-2000, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for that information Soror. That was well said. I just wanted to add this advice to the interested lady:

Keep your grades up and keep your nose clean!!!
Old 08-23-2000, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree. Thank you, Soror.
Old 08-27-2000, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Very well said, Soror! The information you provided was sufficient for any lady thinking pink. Just wanted to add one more bit of information- Keep your grades up, your nose clean, and your reputation reputable! No one likes an unlady-like young woman...

------------------
Old 08-29-2000, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm soooo glad to call you "Ladies" sisters!!!!

"06"
Old 08-29-2000, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Thanks!!!!!!
-An Interest
Old 08-29-2000, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I would also like to add:

Remain HUMBLE before, during, and especially AFTER!

Good Luck!
Old 02-03-2007, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

hi i am currently in my junior year of high school in miami florida. i have lately been looking at college sororities. i plan on going to an HBCU in Georgia when i graduate in 2008. Is there any way that i could meet or speak with an AKA member?
Old 02-03-2007, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Inspired

First of all I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I am extremely interested in joining your sisterhood and fortunately I have been blessed enough to have a few sources (this site being one of them) that have been able to give me direction and great advice as far as the Membership Intake Process and so forth, and I just wanted to say that to the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha Inc., on this site you all TRULY have been both intelligent and classy when dealing with many of the rude and tackless situations/comments/questions that have been thrown your way (I am in the process of reading the archives b/c while I have a few questions I don't want to be redundant and I am sure some or all of my answers might be there).

I just wanted to let you ladies know that Alpha Kappa Alpha is truly something that I admire and aspire towards and hopefully in the near future I will be considered for membership. Thanks for reading and God Bless!!
Old 02-03-2007, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to btb87 Send a message via Yahoo to btb87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican1990 View Post
hi i am currently in my junior year of high school in miami florida. i have lately been looking at college sororities. i plan on going to an HBCU in Georgia when i graduate in 2008. Is there any way that i could meet or speak with an AKA member?
Jamaican1990,

There have got to be zillions of my Sorors in Miami. Keep your eyes and ears open to any events that they're sponsoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyAspirant View Post
First of all I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I am extremely interested in joining your sisterhood and fortunately I have been blessed enough to have a few sources (this site being one of them) that have been able to give me direction and great advice as far as the Membership Intake Process and so forth, and I just wanted to say that to the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha Inc., on this site you all TRULY have been both intelligent and classy when dealing with many of the rude and tackless situations/comments/questions that have been thrown your way (I am in the process of reading the archives b/c while I have a few questions I don't want to be redundant and I am sure some or all of my answers might be there).

I just wanted to let you ladies know that Alpha Kappa Alpha is truly something that I admire and aspire towards and hopefully in the near future I will be considered for membership. Thanks for reading and God Bless!!
Thank you, and remember that discretion is key! Don't go telling erbody your business. Also, read this thread while you're reading.